Skip to content

[Community] What Are 50 Ways to Kill Drizzt?!

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
We've all been there at some point. Face to face with the violet eyed shimtar spinning Drow! His manner like a silent storm. His fury like a violent whirlwind. As unique as this character is his gear is as equally distinct and ours for the taking! What are 50 practical (or unpractical your pick) ways to fell this valiant Ranger in single player mode?

Comments

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Stock up on ammunition,Encroach from the South ... tell him you help out against those nasty Gnolls and don't move an inch. snipe away all gnolls between you and the edge of your vision where Drizzt stands..now start hurling , shooting and throwing at him. drizzt will now do two things , cast dispel at you and heal himself halfway once. and then he dies.... after 5 minutes of waiting for those sweet 20 dicethrow hits.

a LvL 1 Character can do it and beat Drizzt alone. just make sure you dont run out of ammo and go suicidal into fist combat , revealing those leftover gnolls and allowing drizzt to move.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    I have said this before on some other post, but the easy way to kill him (cheat way) is to have one in your party constantly talk to him (keep clicking him even after he has talked to you) and make everyone else in your party attack him. He won't turn hostile as long you keep trying to talk to him. Of course you can't do this with just one character :smile: I consider killing Drizzt this way only half a cheat, since Drizzt hasn't been made by the rules either :smiley: Darn cheating drow :smiley:
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    With a thief; sleep, lay trap, sleep, lay trap. Repeat until no more traps can be set. Go get him to attack you before he kills all the gnolls. Kite him to the traps. Sometimes this kills him on the first go; it did for me the first time. If it doesn't, kite him back to the Gnolls and get him to attack them again so you can escape. Go far away enough to set another trap. This might be the one to kill him if your traps managed to interrupt his heal. Could probably repeat the rest cycle again to kill him. Super cheesy to do that since he would certainly heal himself or leave after PC rested seven times.

Anyway, use this in conjunction with kiting and arrows if it doesn't kill him outright. Uses less arrows.

NB. Sleep in an area apart from where you set your traps to avoid nightime encounters from springing your previously laid traps.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    BillyYank said:

Stab him in the back, Jack.
    Kick him in the can, Stan.
    Hammer to the knee, Lee.
    And get his gear free.

Hardly free if you have to hammer his knee, but I like it!
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    In vanilla, there was no summoning limit. So I killed him by emptying the wand of monster summoning around him.

In EE, I did manage to kill him no cheese. Take the wand of monster summoning, the ring of charm animal, and memorize all summoning spells you can. With very careful timing you can have 5 summons + all the bears you managed to charm at all time blocking his way while the rest of the party kites him.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2016
    Jarrakul said:

I just kite him forever with the boots of speed until the rest of the party's rolled enough 20s on ranged attack rolls to kill him.

I use the same tactic most times. Together with fighting him toe to toe, it feels the least cheesy - no dialogue exploits or blocking his path, just taking advantage of his poor target-selection decisions :+).

To elaborate a little more on it - you can do it pretty much straight out of Candlekeep, before you get Boots of Speed and since in EE Drizzt now has a few spells, here's a fool-proof method I use:

You're going to need:
    - Oil of Speed - easily obtainable from Imoen or Montaron after leaving Candlekeep (or Boots of Speed of course)
    - Potion of Clarity - from Winthrop's Inn in Candlekeep

1. Have one person dedicated to kiting with the potions above, equip the other 5 with ranged weapons - doesn't matter that much if they're skilled with them, as they're only going to score hits on 20s anyway.
    2. Throw a buff on your kiting person to incentivise Drizzt to use his Dispel Magic in the first round. Attack and start kiting.
    3. After his Dispel Magic hits, drink the Potion of Clarity. Keep running away.
    4. Next round, apply the Oil of Speed.
    5. Now you're immune to his 2xCharm Person or Mammal and have enough speed to kite him in circles, while your other 5 people overcome him with ranged attacks. Your buffs are safe, because we made him use his only Dispel Magic before having them applied.
    6. Enjoy your triumph.

A Wand of Monster Summoning is pretty nice to speed up the process - keep killing wrong sets of summons or reloading until you get the Hobgoblins.

Of course everything above is said with the latest version of BG:EE in mind. In original BG you could just summon a couple of sets of Hobgoblins and be done with it in a couple of rounds. Not to mention a lot of other silly ways to kill Drizzt.
    Post edited by Mivsan on
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    If you have Kagain in there tanking Coran isn't really doing it alone
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I guess so. You could also equip Coran with the Boots of Speed, then have him wait until Drizzt attempts a Dispel Magic, and then buff with the oil and potion, running around at top speed taking potshots at Drizzt. His THAC0 will be good enough that it shouldn't take long.
  • FeytorFeytor Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2016
    I cannot RP an evil party and with a good party I cannot kill him.......

The only time i did it out of curiosity, I put archers on the island and pincussioned him while he was struggling with the pathfinding routines. But in Bg:ee that doesnt work anymore I believe.

good gear but I always dreaded the confrontation in Bg2:EE :smile:

edit: typo

• shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    It's really, really easy.

Send one party member to speak to him whilst he is surrounded by gnolls. Be friendly - or be hostile and go invisible immediately after he turns enemy. Then position your character so that one or more gnolls in the fog of war are hitting him *from* the fog of war - i.e. you can't see them, but they are making 'to hit' rolls on Drizzt. He will not attack those gnolls. They will hit on a 20, and eventually kill him. It will take a long time (10-15 minutes?) and he'll heal himself but ultimately die. If you want the XP not just the gear you'll need him to be hostile and get a hit on him which is harder but still do-able if you can stop him seeing you, so he goes back to the gnolls. You'd only need to damage him once.

This may have been patched in 2.0 :). It should be!
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2016
    I've had luck kiting him into some trees then having wands of summoning and my own summons block his movement. Meanwhile my party is filling his dark hide with arrows.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    @BillyYank great Paul Simon reference. And that's my gear he's wearing anyway.
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    Called Shot with an Archer seemed to work well today.
    With kindness.
    Softly, with his song.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016
    Put on a big red wig. Dress in a kilt (only). "Sharpen" your ...."claymore". Tell him you're Brainhart. Sorry, Braveheart.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    I used a sorcerer with Stoneskin, Mirror Image, and Fireshield: Red. Just aggro him, and let him kill himself on your fireshield while you spam your defenses as needed. No need to lift a finger.
  • randyhermitrandyhermit Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2017
    Flashburn said:

Coran can kill Drizzt all by himself

Confirmed. At the time when Drizzt finished cutting the last gnoll, he was himself at near death condition, so no tanking needed. However, you can buy some time by putting some gnolls into Fear: Drizzt will chasing them, totally ignoring your party.

Post edited by randyhermit on
  • ArchGhostArchGhost Member Posts: 30
    In one of the G3 fixpacks, it's almost impossible to exploit the gnolls to kill Drizzt anymore. They have a constant script that causes them to stop attacking him unless the player is also targetable. They can, however, quickly get in a fast attack at the top of their round and will constantly re-target Drizzt if he has been talked to, so the trick is dodging them while keeping Drizzt busy.

Drizzt will also slaughter the gnolls left to his own devices, whether you choose to help him or attack him, so you have to keep him busy through fake talk (telling him you wont help simply results in him wandering off in Tutu+G3).

So the way I had the gnolls kill him for me, despite these hurdles:

-Have a stealthy character or one who can use invisibility at will go hidden and talk to Drizzt
    -The Gnolls will become active and target either you or Drizzt. Since they cannot target him for long, they tend to follow you.
    -Drizzt will start to slaughter the gnolls, so fake talk him with a far away party member to keep him busy. Encumbering this party member works great so they don't move forward.
    -Use the party member who activated Drizzt to draw to gnolls to one side of Drizzt, then go invisible and exit the immediate area to the opposite side.
    -the remaining gnolls should gather around Drizzt on one side, while your invis character can stand *just* close enough to reveal Drizzt but not the gnolls
    -Use your spotter's vision on Drizzt to keep fake talking him with the distant party member. He'll just stand there and the gnolls will only target him, and he won't kill them as long as you keep fake talking him
    -Keep fake talking and wait. A LONG time. The gnolls can only hit Drizzt on criticals, and they have trouble making attacks in the first place because of the interrupts in their scripts. But eventually they do make rolls, and eventually they'll crit him and hit him. Unfortunately, they can also break their halberds which will reduce their damage and make them unable to kill him if they ALL break theirs.

Note that if your character doing the spotting could reliably go invisible, you don't have to keep the gnolls offscreen to keep fake talking Drizzt, but this takes so long pretty much anything except potions of invisibility (which last for 12 hours) or the spell Invisibility (which lasts 24 hours) will run out. I just had a cleric/ranger use stealth to activate Drizzt, cast Sanctuary to lose the gnolls, then stood in an exact spot where only Drizzt was revealed (but not any gnolls) and just kept fake talking with my encumbered mage/thief.