Skip to content

Help with a first time Evil Player

Hey, I'm an old time BG player but I've always played Paladins and I'm looking for something a bit different this time. I feel like doing an evil play through, likely with the new Legacy of Bhaal difficulty.

Any recommendations for my PC's race/class and party members? Will likely have both Edwin and Viconia, But I'm open to others. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Kagain dwarf Fighter, he is quite good.
    Aerakar
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Best party IMHO:

Charname whatever - With this team it doesn't matter what you play yourself.
    Viconia - Cleric - Can be found immediately and/or replaced with Faldorn if you liked druids
    Shar'teel - Dualweilding goddess of battle - Can be found immediately but may also be replaced by Kagain since Shar is kinda weak on the HP sauce.
    Dorn - Damage dealer extraordinare - Can be recruited on route to the mines approx
    Edwin/Baeloth - Arcane (I prefer Edwin) - Can be found immediately
    Imoen/Coran/Tiax/whomever - Thief and maybe cleric. You can start with one and keep that one, or change thief as the game progresses. Personally I prefer Coran for damage but Tiax for RP.

I prefer old school, which means no new NPC's, so my fav evil team is Shar/Kagain/Edwin/Tiax/Viccy or Faldorn.

If charname is a fighter of sorts, the combo of Dorn/Shar/charname (or Kagain in this mix instead of Shar/Dorn) will steamroll everything with some buffs from Edwin and Viccy. Same if the charname is ranged and you have two melee powerhouses, two ranged and two magic users.
    illathid
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Hmmm... Some good stuff, although I'm leaning towards Dorn/shar'teel (dualed-thief)/viconia/edwin/baeloth. Still not sure what to make my PC.
    illathid said:

Hmmm... Some good stuff, although I'm leaning towards Dorn/shar'teel (dualed-thief)/viconia/edwin/baeloth. Still not sure what to make my PC.

You have alot of arcane, good melee, a thief and a cleric. The only thing you are "missing" is a ranged and/or a druid but druids or archers can't be evil, so that's not an option. A classic F/M perhaps? You could ie spec for ranged in BG1 and move into melee for SoA etc. Or just do a very classical F/M with dual weild. Other than that, assassin could be an interresting choice perhaps. Or Blade for a bit of eveything.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    If were to play an evil party I would probably go with one of the following:

1. Human Assassin. It's just cool, and you don't have to ever worry about a lack of Thieves in BG2, or be beholden to Hexxat. If you need more combat power, then go with a Fighter 7/Thief 8.

2. Half-Orc Cleric/Thief. There would be great utility so you would have more freedom in choosing your party, without worrying about who's going to be your cleric or thief, and he can have 19 Str right out of the gate.
    Skatan said:

You have alot of arcane, good melee, a thief and a cleric. The only thing you are "missing" is a ranged and/or a druid but druids or archers can't be evil, so that's not an option. A classic F/M perhaps? You could ie spec for ranged in BG1 and move into melee for SoA etc. Or just do a very classical F/M with dual weild. Other than that, assassin could be an interresting choice perhaps. Or Blade for a bit of eveything.

Makes sense as I dislike Druids and ranged for the most part. ;)
    Philhelm said:

If were to play an evil party I would probably go with one of the following:

1. Human Assassin. It's just cool, and you don't have to ever worry about a lack of Thieves in BG2, or be beholden to Hexxat. If you need more combat power, then go with a Fighter 7/Thief 8.

2. Half-Orc Cleric/Thief. There would be great utility so you would have more freedom in choosing your party, without worrying about who's going to be your cleric or thief, and he can have 19 Str right out of the gate.

Hmm you both mention Assasin, and I'll admit I'm intrigued. That would mean I could leave Shar single class too. How do you think that would compare with say a Kensai/Thief Dual class?
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    I would go with the Half-Orc cleric/Thief. I am running a BGEE on solo with one though my one is not entierly evil but I can see how that can work
    Kamigoroshi
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    To get the most out of an evil party, keep your Rep between 5 and 2. You'll experience different encounters you wouldn't get as playing a goody two shoes.

Vic and Dorn are a must as they drop your rep nice and low on pick up.

Edwin is a good spellcaster and comes with an evil quest attached.

I enjoy Eldoth (poison arrows) and Skie for evil play throughs just because of all th sleaziness you can do in Baldur's Gate with them. I usually drop Dorn at th Gates once i finish his personal quest to make room for Skie.

That leaves 1 spot and depends on if you want your main to tank or not. Shar-tel is usually my choice here as she is versatile and has a minor connection in BG. But a second thief like Safana or Tiax can also fill a needed hole.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    illathid said:

Hmm you both mention Assasin, and I'll admit I'm intrigued. That would mean I could leave Shar single class too. How do you think that would compare with say a Kensai/Thief Dual class?

Frankly, a Kensai 7/Thief 8 would be significantly more powerful. With weapon mastery and the 7th level you will end up with 5/2 APR as opposed to 1 APR. You'd also have higher THAC0 and HP; once you obtain the Thief HLA, Use Any Item, you'd be able to ignore the Kensai's inability to wear armor.

Having said that, and Assassin is just cool. If I were playing an evil party, that would be my first choice, even if he isn't necessarily as powerful as other class combinations. Also, the Assassin would have a higher backstab modifier (which is more situational) and poison use, which can overcome damage immunities, so isn't something to sneeze at.

@Philhelm Well I've never really done the whole backstabbing thing. Sounds like Assasin it is then. Any recommendations for proficiencies?
    edited March 2016
    It has been discussed numerous times. Do a forum search, there are countless threads discussing that. Here's one example:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46329/elf-assassin-trilogy-run-weapon-proficiencies

The main thing is to maximize poison weapon ability, which require high APR, so going for throwing daggers, speed weapons (shortbow for Tuigans in SoA, xbow for army scythe in BG1 and 2) or darts is quite common. To maximize backstab, qstaffs is a good choice.

Edit: if you don't mind cheese, there's always the arrows of detonation + poison combo.
    justfeelinathomelolien
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    edited March 2016
    10Bazza11 said:

I would go with the Half-Orc cleric/Thief. I am running a BGEE on solo with one though my one is not entierly evil but I can see how that can work

this is a pretty cool combo. Clerics have a lot of "touch" spells that deal a lot of damage or can kill instantly , those paired with the rogue's stealth (remember, you get a significant to hit bonus from stealth attacks) makes them so much better.
    A single class cleric often misses those spells cause of the lacking thac0
    Kamigoroshi
  • Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    I Just started a Neutral Evil Elf (Drow type) F/M who i planned to solo, but currently rolling with Montaron, to add a bit of spice (backstabs disarm traps and his charming personality) and added Dorn along for the ride until i finish his quest, then i will continue to duo with Monty...

The Ogre with the Belts assisted in removing Xzar for me right away.... Monty didnt like him anyway....

Role playing an actual Drow though, of course no actual in game comments as you are just an Elf, but being devious, betraying etc is interesting, for example, I met Jahera & Khalid, added them to party for the invis potion, and J said about Gorians remains, I couldnt care less, her response to me meant Monty back stabbed her into the abyss....

...Suprised Khalid didnt have no reaction though....