Skip to content

The Hobbit

lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc

Anyone else looking forward to this movie :P I am for sure !!!!!

Comments

• ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    The Hobbit was the first book I could actually finish reading as a PDF format; takes dedication.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Prrreciouss....Oh Yes! Thank God It wont be played in 3D. Eeerm.. Will it not Gandalf?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    You know, with this film and BG:EE both being released around the same time, it's going to be a grand Christmas time, I have to say. Thanks for sharing the trailer! Really looking forward to this movie.
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    I heard recently that Jackson decided to make it a trilogy because he wanted to film a lot of what he found in the appendices of the Tolkien books.

I am really looking forward to it!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I could care less about seeing this movie, the book was awesome. A three part trilogy? I'm sure the special effects will be good, but thats it.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Yeah it looks ridiculously good... just worried about them stretching it into 3 movies
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ugh 3 movies? I wasn't aware they had made it that long. I'd rather a mini series but I suppose that would not make them as much money.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I'm not sure what to think now that it's a trilogy. On one hand LOTR is about five times as long, but The Hobbit is a lot more action orientated and there's less stuff to cut out than there was in LOTR. The other thing is that LOTR had natural breaks between the films whereas The Hobbit doesn't, so while when watching FOTR I felt content at the end, it may be harder to pull this off for The Hobbit.

I'm sure they'll do a great job anyway.
    Ditto that I'm not sure what to think of Jackson making it a trilogy. There's the financial motive, obviously. I guess the tale can be broken into three parts well enough if it is filled out with material from Tolkien's notes and appendices. I'm confident that Jackson will do an excellent job with it. I suppose I don't mind watching it in three parts as long as it's enthralling and well paced.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm not happy about the 3-movie thing. Especially since it's all being filmed now afaik. Anyway, when I saw the trailer in the theater, I almost leapt out of my seat with excitement. Yeah. We want to see this!
    It's going to be 3D as well? Anyone know?
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    Lemernis said:

It was filmed at 4k Resolution, 3D and at 60FPS. Basically Jackson had the best cameras money could buy and ran with it. They even did the storyboarding in 3D, so I'm not expecting any cheap after thought 3D effects.
  • That book was such a fun read. It really did look like a blueprint for dnd, which made it even more fun to read.
    I loved all of the treasure described in that story, and thought Smaug was so cute, rolling around in his (or was it a her) loot. Also the tale of the black arrow was pretty interesting. The entire time I read it, I had envisioned a cartoon fantasy.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Evinfuilt said:

Lemernis said:

It was filmed at 4k Resolution, 3D and at 60FPS. Basically Jackson had the best cameras money could buy and ran with it. They even did the storyboarding in 3D, so I'm not expecting any cheap after thought 3D effects.
    Ugh, I hate films that are filmed for 3D. You can tell when a scene has been set up for 3D shooting as opposed to more traditional filmmaking and generally it is worse for it.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    edited September 2012
    Communard said:

Evinfuilt said:

Lemernis said:

Ugh, I hate films that are filmed for 3D. You can tell when a scene has been set up for 3D shooting as opposed to more traditional filmmaking and generally it is worse for it.
    Just because a film was filmed in 3D doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a gimmicky kind of 3D. It'll probably be atmospheric 3d, ala Avatar. Though I hated Avatar, not for the 3D though.

That book was such a fun read. It really did look like a blueprint for dnd, which made it even more fun to read.
    I loved all of the treasure described in that story, and thought Smaug was so cute, rolling around in his (or was it a her) loot. Also the tale of the black arrow was pretty interesting. The entire time I read it, I had envisioned a cartoon fantasy.

Tolkien WAS the blueprint for 3D, as well for pretty much everything fantasy related since then.

• TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/

The new trailer will be up at 7am PST!

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I am so excited! About it being three parts.. I love the books; I also love the radio dramas, and the LotR films, they are all totally different interpretations of the books and this is what we are going to get again, an interpretation. There are plenty of things in the LotR films that are silly, ridiculous and misrepresent the books (imo) but I still like them, you can't have a book in film form, that would be pages of text on the screen.

(do I get a "state the obvious" badge?)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Far over the misty mountains cold
    To dungeons deep and caverns old...

Ofcourse I am looking forward to the movie. It will be like experiencing LotR feeling once more.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I don't care if they stretch it up to 6 movies, with the quality level of the LotR trilogy, it's all good to me. Can't wait! Dwarven goodness!
    edited September 2012

That book was such a fun read. It really did look like a blueprint for dnd, which made it even more fun to read.

You know, I had kind of forgotten how seminal this book is to D&D. I.e., re: how clearly Gygax took this material up and ran with it.

The Hobbit establishes races, classes, the adventure/quest, powerful magical treasure, etc., as we're all familiar with those conventions today in tabletop D&D and CRPGs. Prior to the book all these elements existed in mythology and literature, of course. Elves, dwarves, dragons, wizards, enchanted items, quests, etc., were all there. And the Swords and Sorcery genre predates The Hobbit, with what are now high fantasy conventions established there too. But Tolkien, as a scholar, was able to craft mythological elements together into a prototypical and elevated literary form that I don't think other writers had yet achieved. (Much as I admire Robert E. Howard's Conan tales.)

Anyway, in these films I'm hoping that Jackson works his magic again with respect to pacing the action. He did that amazingly well in LotR. So I expect he'll pull it off again. Should be wonderful.
    I've got my fingers crossed for the talking purse.
    Also dogs serving up honey and cream in Beorn's hall.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1SJ7yaa7cI New trailer here folks. This surely looks awsome! Dwarves have charisma. :-)
    Looks like a rousing tale. :) I think one of the joys of this film (well, I hope) will be how Jackson tells the story cinematically.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html

WB posted 5 different endings of the trailer on the homepage.
    My favorite by far is the Sting moment.

That was AMAZING, Radagast+hedgehog absolutely made my day :D
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    Although I am excited about the HOBBIT movies, I think that they have done a terrible job with the look of the dwarves. From the very first photos, about a year ago, I was very disappointed about PJ's vision of the dwarven race. Then, I somehow got used to them, and I actually liked the first trailer. But, in the second trailer, when I see Elrond, Gandlaf, Thorin and Balin standing together around that ice/crystal thing, I don't think that Thorin looks like a dwarf, but like a very short human! The same goes also for Fili, Kili, Bofur and Ori. Actually, the only dwarves that I like are Gloin, Oin, Dwalin, Bifur and Nori (although I hate his hair).
    edited September 2012
    I agree, the dwarves didn't look how I hoped either. Seeing elves swan about like they are constantly in a shampoo or perfume commercial never appealed to me so seeing Galadriel in full breathy mode again was mildly annoying. Considering the aesthetic of the LOTR films though I'd at least say it was unsurprising. I think they were planning to de-hyena the wargs, which is something.

I think with making Thorin a pretty boy they're trying to fill the void of a dashing male lead, which was Aragorn in LotR. I can't remember the character anymore. Wikipedia describes him thusly:

"Thorin is described as being very haughty, stern, and officious. He has a talent for singing and playing the harp, wears a gold chain, and has a very long beard. His appearance is also characterized by his distinctive sky blue hood. He refers to his homes in the Blue Mountains as "poor lodgings in exile." He is a capable and a cunning warrior, if not a particularly inspiring or clever leader. While shorter than elves or men, Thorin is said to be quite tall for a dwarf."

The other dwarves almost look like the "who rang that bell" guy from the Wizard of Oz.

Is it me, or do they have an almost Victorian Steampunkish vibe to their look?...

I wonder if perhaps this look is how Jackson, based on his extensive research, imagines how Tolkien's mind's eye might have envisioned them? Remember that Tolkien was writing the Hobbit in the 1930's. Maybe that explains the hair and clothing style?
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    What I can't understand is why PJ make all the dwarves in TH so terrible, while Gimli and the rest of the dwarves (Elrond's council, opening scene with the 7 rings) in LOTR were pretty much as everyone envisioned them. Some will argue that you cannot have 13 identical characters in a movie, but I think that you can make them different without making them look so undwarven. What if PJ wanted to film Silmarilion; would he make all the elves look different by making them fat, ugly etc?