Skip to content

The Hobbit

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Bumping since the movie is actually out now, and no one seems to have made a new thread for it as far as I gathered.

Whaddya know, it sucked. Too plastic, too much action, too much filler added in just to make it long enough for a trilogy, too many ninja elves, and Evangeline Lily was terrible. And so was Legolas.

Smaug was okay though. Even if he looked like one of the Skyrim dragons for some reason.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    As long as its made right, that's all I care about. LotR is the perfect fantasy movie. I was never really a Hobbit fan of the book and I'll pass judgement on the movies once I've seen them all.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I saw the first hobbit movie in 3D and I found that during scenes where there was a lot of movement (like the camera was panning down a canyon or something) it got really blurry. I know it may have had to do with the frame rate but is this something they actually addressed in the editing of the second movie?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2013
    Erg said:

Chow said:

too much filler added in just to make it long enough for a trilogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHCVyllnck

That's crazy! He likes money! I like money too
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Man what a mess, a fun mess mind you but jeez, the sheer amount of nonsense you could cut out...

They did Smaug quite well though, at least that scene and Riddles in the Dark were treated with some respect.
    Though I still have no idea why he was suddenly a wyvern. Did they look at the Skyrim crowd, see how damn popular that stuff is, and decide actual four-legged dragons are a thing of the past?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It's the way bat bodies are designed (with the wings basicly being the arms with fingers that have webbing between them to make wings) and I believe Tolkien originally described him as such.

Regardless, Smaug looked awesome, sounded awesome, made me a very happy camper. Loved the movie, will see it again soon.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    So is this movie as much of a clusterf*** as the first one? I found Unexpected Journey incredibly, well... boring. It was all style and no substance. At one point I even found myself wishing I'd gone to watch Breaking Dawn instead.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited December 2013
    Peter Jackson has.....Broken something.

It boils down to an expensive cartoon, really the barrel scenes, all that they took from the book so they could add their crap, aaarrrrgggggg!
    The first one wasn't brilliant, but this is just a big f- you to Tolkien.
    Gah!!

Sorry, I'm ranting, but I was really disappointed that they took it this far. I'm a huge Tolkien fan, and because it's so far from the book it just ruins it for me. If they had called it "A Film in Which Some of the Characters from The Hobbit Show Up", maybe I could have liked it. It's just a bad fanfic, really.
    Post edited by meagloth on

So is this movie as much of a clusterf*** as the first one? I found Unexpected Journey incredibly, well... boring. It was all style and no substance. At one point I even found myself wishing I'd gone to watch Breaking Dawn instead.

Thats because Breaking Dawn is insane, and by extension kind of memorable.

It is clusterf***, no doubt about it. It is more fun than Unexpected Journey but the movie still wastes time constantly.

Smaug was pretty damn cool though. Also Thranduil hammed it up in the best possible way.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I am in the Hobbit???!!!!???? (I am lego-lass :P) WUTZ??!!?!?! Can those dogz make a single movie like the amazing book???!!!!??!!?!? We've all know Legolas lived there, BUT HE DIDN'T APPEARED IN THE BOOKS!!!!!!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @typo_tilly it is my favorite too, well, after The Sillmarillion and The (Tale of the) Children of Hurin.
    edited December 2013
    For a long time Silmarillion has been sitting on the top of my "gotta read these things someday" -list. So far I haven't gotten around to do it. So, at the moment the Hobbit is my favourite too.

On another note, what else I really like is a good love story. I very much enjoy it when it's done naturally, when the characters are likeable and have great chemistry going on, and when there's some good drama out of it. It's probably why I hated Tauriel so much and groaned whenever she and Kili were doing something: I like a good love story so much that I tend to take a bad one as a personal insult.

And unfortunately for me, there are a lot more bad love stories out there.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The Kili/Tauriel thing was...weird yeah. I mean, I get that she falls for a dwarf (the 13 first real men to come through that godsforsaken place) but come on, he hardly even had a beard!
    Anyway, it felt very superfluous and tacked on. Other than that, great movie.
    It annoys me that when they decide to add a woman character to the sausage fest that is Middle Earth, she apparently has to be a god damn love interest.

It annoys me that when they decide to add a woman character to the sausage fest that is Middle Earth, she apparently has to be a god damn love interest.

Well, of course she is: a token romance is another mandatory thing in a Hollywood movie, so might as well catch two birds with one stone.

Otherwise, they would've had to make some of the dwarves gay. We can't have that.
    edited December 2013
    Chow said:

Well, of course she is: a token romance is another mandatory thing in a Hollywood movie, so might as well catch two birds with one stone.

Otherwise, they would've had to make some of the dwarves gay. We can't have that.
    Reminds me of Fellowship establishing Sam has the hetero hots for Rosie as soon as they possibly could.
    Post edited by State_Lemming on
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    These movies are really good! Amazing stuff.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm sure some people will like The Desolation of Smaug. I did not. It was beyond mere 'filling in gaps' and the like and, essentially, became a complete re-write. In this way, the length expanded to create what will turn out to be an eight hour trilogy.

Elves are very Dragon Age: Origins in look (with two curved blades on their backs to boot! And the new elf girl looks like the DA ][ DLC redhead to me. Beyond this, I don't know what to say that isn't a spoiler.
    @reedmilfam interesting, I always thought Dragon Age elves were blatantly influenced by the LOTR movies elves.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @State_Lemming Not the double curved weapons on the back. Anyway, the movie was a huge letdown.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    seeing as smaug is in the title it being in the movie isnt a spoiler so i can do this:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

also Stephen Fry is involved, enough said
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Honestly, I found it hilarious that they had a bunch ugly dwarves and then 'aragorn dwarf' (Thorin) and 'legolas dwarf' (Kili) just to give us some eye candy.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    edited December 2013
    i think they threw it in there so people wouldn't complain about lack of romance story, and ive watched alot of fantasy movies (i like dragons and i believe i own every dragon themed B-movie, INCLUDING all three D&D movies) and i think no one can think of something other than "fantasy hero gets fantasy girl in a romance that makes no sense when both characters should hate each other" in this especially

removed until i fix spoiler box

BUT ive yet to see a movie that is perfect so you cant fault it -that- much on the bright side it has the best dragon effects because...it actually had a budget XD the second best dragon effects i think are in the second D&D movie (my favorite out of all the B-movies)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Chow said:

For a long time Silmarillion has been sitting on the top of my "gotta read these things someday" -list. So far I haven't gotten around to do it. So, at the moment the Hobbit is my favourite too.

Shame. :P