Skip to content

The Hobbit

Comments

• Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    About portrayal of dwarfs in the movie - does any of you remember the small fact that in the book their beards were in all colors of rainbow, and so were their hoods? It may work in a children's book, but in a general-audience movie? Not so much. I can't imagine anyone would take a blue-bearded dwarf in a green hood seriously. That had to be changed; it looks like PJ replaced the color-coded dwarves with 'weird shape of beard' coded ones, and I personally think it an improvement. :)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    In the radio drama Bilbo describes the dwarves "and their silly beards!" Peter Jackson certainly made that come true!

I've said it before, I'll say it again..
    Talking purse!!!
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    Actually, in the book only 4 dwarves are described about their beard colour: Fili&Kili yellow (blonde), Dwalin blue (probably implying jet-black), Balin white. Thorin's beard is said that it could be seen in the dark, so it must have been a light colour; and because of his age it must have been also white.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I just looked at the trailer again and it seems that Jackson will develop what Gandalf was doing while he took his leave from the party to "take care of some business to the south." It isn't decribed in the book, but Tolkien must have alluded to it in his notes? I say that because the films features Galadriel in conversation with Gandalf, which isn't in the book. And I would imagine Gandalf will pay a visit to Saruman as well. Christopher Lee is in this film, right?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Awaiting the release of Hobbit cinema tickets here, but they seem to be taking their sweet time.. not altogether unlike the trailer approval for a certain enhanced edition RPG...
    @Lemernis I believe, there will be a meeting of the white council, so Gandalf, Galadriel and Saruman? maybe others, I don't know.

I think this is the meeting where Saruman suggests that looking for the ring is pointless or it has been forever lost or somesuch, because he really wishes to look for it himself. Pretty sure all of this is in the Unfinished Tales.

Hopefully that isn't all half-remembered babble!
  • GreedySadistGreedySadist Member Posts: 15
    @Moomintroll
    It went exactly like that. Also it was explained in Unfinished Tales so those who have read only Hobbit and/or LotR and Silmarillion wont know that
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @Lemernis
    It is mentioned that the White Council drove 'The Necromancer'/Sauron out of Mirkwood; Dol Guldur(?)...Sauron ends up back in Mordor, of course...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    It seemed appropriate to post this. Kind of cheesy but fun. I do wish I worked for air New Zealand though. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cBlRbrB_Gnc
  • What a great movie @elminster Me and my girl are really exited off the hobbit
  • KurakaiKurakai Member Posts: 18
    The production blogs on the Hobbit are awesome and just makes me want to live in Tolkeins world even more :(
  • BelegurthBelegurth Member Posts: 61
    Smaug kill of them!
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    Without any reason, I hereby declare that Peter Jackson's best movie is Bad Taste. And Braindead.
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    the hobbit is the first book readed with my first beer in my other hand. it was long ago....
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I was excited, now I'm not sure anymore. Someone I knew told me about that whole thing with the deaths of 27 animals off-set because they were being kept in unsafe conditions.
    I'm going to have to do some research. I mean, I still really want to see it, but at the same time, if any of the people responsible for this are still on the payroll, I don't want to support it.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited December 2012
    A few friends and I have already made plans to see the movie in an IMAX theater on premiere night (preordered our tickets a few weeks ago), and I am quite literally counting down the days!
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

I was excited, now I'm not sure anymore. Someone I knew told me about that whole thing with the deaths of 27 animals off-set because they were being kept in unsafe conditions.
    I'm going to have to do some research. I mean, I still really want to see it, but at the same time, if any of the people responsible for this are still on the payroll, I don't want to support it.

As far as I know from briefly reading something about this on the web somewhere, that story was a hoax.
    Not entirely sure, as I didn't pay much attention to it, I just skimmed some of the article briefly.

I would think you'd be able to find reliable info somewhere.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I'm not all that excited about the movie. I still was when it was just one film, but then it swelled into two, and now three, all of them as long as any Lord of the Rings... how do you bloat up a short fun adventure novel, nothing too serious or special, into a three-movie epic no less in size or scope than the adaptation of a book series nine times its length? How much filler would they even...

No, I probably won't go see it. At least not in the theatre.

As for the dwarves, though, I love them. I love how they're not all bearded old folks that carry axes, and I honestly despise the modern trend of making all dwarves drunken, heavily-armored, axe-wielding, elf-hating, angry berserkers. Those things are stupid.
    edited December 2012
    @Chow more material has been introduced from other books, the book also reads much, much faster than the LoTR books, more material in fewer pages - Hence the increase in film:book-size ratio.

As with the LoTR films, those expecting some kind of "true to the books" interpretation will be disappointed or kidding themselves.

Go see it Chow, you know it's going to be awesome!
    Post edited by Moomintroll on
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    1 week!
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I never liked what PJ did to The Lord of the Rings. So i guess i will not go and see this one. I just read the book recently with my 8 year old daughter. She loved it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2012
    Bytebrain said:

As far as I know from briefly reading something about this on the web somewhere, that story was a hoax.
    Not entirely sure, as I didn't pay much attention to it, I just skimmed some of the article briefly.

I would think you'd be able to find reliable info somewhere.
    (sorry for being a huge buzzkill)

I find all my reliable information from TMZ. Everything from the latest celeb news on who is in jail/drunk driving, to just basically how low people will stoop to get a story.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/19/hobbit-peter-jackson-blamed-for-27-animal-deaths/

But the associated press picked it up too the same day.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2012/11/19/wranglers-hobbit-animals-died/1713701/

So idk some animals clearly died, not sure on how many were killed.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    We're starting our Hobbit celebration on Saturday with our third annual Hobbit party. Downstairs in our recently improved home theater, we fire up the extended LOTR trilogy. Upstairs we take turns presenting another meal every two hours, with breakfast at 8:00, second breakfast at 10:00, and so on.

Do any of you do something similar?
    I wish we had something as cool as an annual celebration, that sounds amazing. We celebrate the Hobbit every day to some extent, through our cats; Smaug and Radagast.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    I can only imagine these cats are red and brown.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    @Radhamanthys

if you have 13 dwarfs with really huge beards, they would more or less, all look the same.
    that is not a very good thing to have in a movie.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Dave said:

We're starting our Hobbit celebration on Saturday with our third annual Hobbit party. Downstairs in our recently improved home theater, we fire up the extended LOTR trilogy. Upstairs we take turns presenting another meal every two hours, with breakfast at 8:00, second breakfast at 10:00, and so on.

Do any of you do something similar?

While it's not an annual thing, every so often some friends and I watch the extended LoTR trilogy with breaks every so often in order to "shoot the shit" and whatnot. On the 14th, a few of us are eating dinner at a nice steakhouse before getting to the theater an hour early in order to ensure that we get desired seats, and we may be out in time to get a beer during last call. I am counting down the days until the 14th!

@Dave Radagast is a brownish tabby. We were going to go with his brother, a ginger tabby, for Smaug (the golden). But his tiny sister won us over with her frisky behaviour and mad staring eyes, she's black. Perhaps Gollum would have been a better name for her.
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    @etagloc
    I disagree, you can make the dwarves seem different without removing their beards. See for example Gloin, Oin, Balin, Nori, Bifur, Dwalin; do they look the same?
    My opinion is that if you think that a movie with 13 dwarves (without altering the most important characteristic of the main race of the book) is not going to work, then don't make it! Pick some other book to make it a movie!