Skip to content

If you were Beamdog, would you revert back to the pre-beta UI for BGEE and BG2EE now?

13»

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Stoibs: I understand the frustration, but given Beamdog's MO over the past three years, I honestly think the best thing is to wait for modders to step in and clean up the mess. I know it sucks, and it's certainly not what BG deserves, but that's just how it is. It's not worth getting upset anymore.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    I really don't think that IWD should have the same UI as the BG games. They always felt distinct in style, and this should be reflected in the UI.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited March 2016
    @Cahir: Sometimes it's a wiser course of action to know someone's history before you call them out. I didn't start out critical of the EEs or of Beamdog, and I didn't get where I am now with them because that's where I wanted to be. I have given my constructive criticism, I've paid my dues, and if you and bengoshi want to wave pompoms and cheer Beamdog on no matter what they do, that is absolutely your right and you can have it. That doesn't mean I have to sit down and shut up.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2016
    Other than that a lot of text in the character ui is in the wrong place (text alignment as well as in the wrong tab), several button inconsistencies, colouration and uiux issues, I actually do not hate it as much as I thought I would.

My main beef is that it is so clearly unfinished (found roughly 25 ui bugs in a few minutes of just clicking) that I was surprised we were actually given this to play test. Most of the items should have been caught at alpha and be fixed before beta.

But I am anxious about the next beta build to see how it is improved. With respect to the old ui, the v1.3 ui and the v2.0 ui I cannot say which is better, as they are very different in use.

I cannot wait to start to mod it though.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    shawne said:

@Cahir: Sometimes it's a wiser course of action to know someone's history before you call them out. I didn't start out critical of the EEs or of Beamdog, and I didn't get where I am now with them because that's where I wanted to be. I have given my constructive criticism, I've paid my dues, and if you and bengoshi want to wave pompoms and cheer Beamdog on no matter what they do, that is absolutely your right and you can have it. That doesn't mean I have to sit down and shut up.

I don't recall to waving pompons and cheering Beamdog no matter what they do, so I guess we're both mistaken. And I didn't say your criticism isn't constructive.

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited March 2016
    @Dee: As a clarification, could you tell us if you did the above example entirely by yourself, or if the dev programmers had to help you out here and there?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited March 2016
    Thels said:

@Dee: As a clarification, could you tell us if you did the above example entirely by yourself, or if the dev programmers had to help you out here and there?

That was all me, in about two hours.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Dee: Ok, that looks promising!

While I don't agree that "Easyness of modding" should cover any obvious issues with the new UI, such as inconsistent text alignments and inconsistent use of capitals, it does provide an alternative to those that don't like the general direction the new UI is headed in (like the tabbed interface).
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Hi @Dee Will it be possible to replace "Character Sheet" with CHARNAME? I know what page it is. I would like to have some way to make CHARNAME be the central top element versus the XP bar. Having the bar right there especially with the red makes it much much MMO like and much less DnD like as others have ably noted. Or moving the XP bar to another location altogether? Thank you.
    mf2112 said:

Hi @Dee Will it be possible to replace "Character Sheet" with CHARNAME? I know what page it is. I would like to have some way to make CHARNAME be the central top element versus the XP bar. Having the bar right there especially with the red makes it much much MMO like and much less DnD like as others have ably noted. Or moving the XP bar to another location altogether? Thank you.

Absolutely. I'll walk through that when I write it all up, but everything you described is 100% doable.
    So pretty much every element is going to be changeable then so we can have really customized character sheets? That is really awesome. Is it per character or for all characters? For fighter types I would arrange things a bit differently than for spell casters like my PnP character sheets were always done.

What about the other screens, mostly inventory? The comparison is okay and I appreciate the work, but as an old timer I would prefer to use that space differently. Thank you.
    edited March 2016
    mf2112 said:

So pretty much every element is going to be changeable then so we can have really customized character sheets? That is really awesome. Is it per character or for all characters? For fighter types I would arrange things a bit differently than for spell casters like my PnP character sheets were always done.

The UI system is global, meaning that you don't have to recreate the layout every time you make a new character. But if you're interested in creating (and coding) custom layouts for each class, the new system probably supports that. It's a little beyond my skills as a programmer, but if you think about the Skills tab on the Character Sheet screen as an example, which only appears if your character has thieving skills, that may give you a hint as to what kinds of things you could do.
    What about the other screens, mostly inventory? The comparison is okay and I appreciate the work, but as an old timer I would prefer to use that space differently. Thank you.
    The Inventory screen is just as modifiable, although I haven't dug into it yet myself.
    Post edited by Dee on
    That. Sounds. Awesome.
    I was just realizing that this can now literally be "our" game in a whole new way that was never possible before.

Thank you Beamdog.
  • AncientCowboyAncientCowboy Member Posts: 199
    I anticipate a 'run' on LUA manuals/texts in the near future :smile:
    edited March 2016
    I was just thinking about @00zim00 and the list of requests he will be getting for screen layouts. I like #3 for a starting point. :)

I guess I can't post links just yet. It was intended to go to the earlier thread on the UI with the nice mockups. http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48436/comparing-the-old-and-new-character-record-ui-is-it-final

Post edited by mf2112 on
    Time to make designs ;)
    mf2112 said:

I was just thinking about @00zim00 and the list of requests he will be getting for screen layouts. I like #3 for a starting point. :)

I guess I can't post links just yet. It was intended to go to the earlier thread on the UI with the nice mockups. http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48436/comparing-the-old-and-new-character-record-ui-is-it-final

I fixed the link for you.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    It looks truly interesting!

@Dee For the MP purpose, will all the players of a particular game need to have the same modded UI? Will it have the same effect as having same content-changing mods for the MP stability?