Skip to content

Multiplayer in the beta

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
So, @Tresset and me have tried the MP in the BG2EE beta (we knew that a 2-person MP should work).

I'm using Windows XP, and have to say that in the 1.3 version the Multiplayer has been working excellent - we're even on a no-reload run for several month already.

Tresset was a host and I connected to him. And all was very slow for me, like waiting for 5 seconds to see an effect of my click, or to see what I have typed. It was very, very slow. Then I crashed 2 times while chatting.

After that it was I who became a host. Tresset joined and immediately crashed 2 times in a row. And then I crashed while being the only one in the lobby while choosing a portrait for my character.

We tried again, with Tresset as a host. I was trying to click "Import" while creating a character for about 2 minutes and then when trying to type about that in the chat I crashed again.

It looks like the current Multiplayer is unplayable, at least for me.

What are suggestions on why that was so slow for me?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I am testing this by myself right now by having two game sessions open on my computer at the same time and, while my CPU is having a hard time keeping up with it, the client session was not nearly as slow as @bengoshi seemed to be when he joined me. I suspect it is either that ben has a bad internet or that it is because we live on opposite sides of the world... Still, this is obviously different from the stability we experienced in 1.3...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It's VERY different.

The Multiplayer is a very important feature of BG games. I remember there was a big boom when it didn't work good when the EEs were first released.

I hope that situation won't be repeated again, after it actually worked fine for quite a period of time already.

BTW, my Internet wasn't bad. When I was a host (and Tresset tried to connect) I didn't have that slow problem.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited March 2016
    This member of the Order of the Errow is up for any multiplayer shenanigans.

Oh, and I popped in to Tresset's game for a minute and the lobby/character creation was all-around stuttering. Never had that problem in multiplayer before.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Flashburn said:

Oh, and I popped in to Tresset's game for a minute and the lobby/character creation was all-around stuttering. Never had that problem in multiplayer before.

So, I am not the only only to experience it.

In this thread I would be happy to read about others' attempts on the MP in the beta and some insights onto how/when it could be improved.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2016
    bengoshi said:

Flashburn said:

So, I am not the only only to experience it.

In this thread I would be happy to read about others' attempts on the MP in the beta and some insights onto how/when it could be improved.
    @bengoshi @Tresset I have the bug too, and I suppose it has *something* to do with internet connection and/or specifications (graphic cards, etc.)

Note: same MP game hosted by my friend on a 10.0 Mbps net connection.

But in my case, I was playing at home with a 2.0 Mbps connection: got no issues.
    When I went to my bf's place, his connection was throttled to 0.2 Mbps due to some router issue: I got crashes and somehow I could not connect to my friend's game (it was showing me as the host - probably an error) before I crashed.
    I reiterate that MP works excellent on my PC in terms of the 1.3 version (and we had a chance to test it during months of the MP no-reload run) but it's completely different with the beta version of 2.0. My Internet speed is about 6.0 Mbps.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited March 2016
    Well i would be Up for some performance testing , sitting here in the center of Germany with 100mb/sec connection and could host some games , see if its a matter of Connection or Servers. (i7 core 12 gb ram so the game isn't bothering my pc at all)
    Both me and @Tresset have tested things a bit for 2-3 hours.

Now the MP finally works!

We have had some bugs, and are in the process of reporting them, but the improvements in the MP are huge (if compared to the previous build). A huge thank you to the developers!

Now, we'll test and help to make it even better, to make it the best MP in the history of BG!
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Should that also improve multiplayer for 3-6 players?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shandyr we tested BG1 briefly.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Thels said:

Should that also improve multiplayer for 3-6 players?

Yes, especially so
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited March 2016
    My biggest pet peeve with MP is the unresponsiveness of pausing.

Could there be some magic wizardry to fix this gamebreaker? It really ruins everything. My friend lives very far away and we just end up pausing/depausing at the same time making it a big confusing loop because there's a big delay and the other thinks he already unpaused and so on.
    Post edited by SirBatince on
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    Probably unrelated and I haven't played 2.0 but I have completed a ton of multiplayer campaigns with 2-4 players. Pausing has always worked great for us except on a zone. What will often happen is that I (as the server) will be jamming on pause so that it immediately stops the game as we zone in - and while it works, my allies can keep moving and doing things until the pause resolves for them. It is really weird.

For example - going upstairs to get the Celestial Fury, I'll pause like crazy as we zone - then my friend who plays our thief will (WHILE IT IS PAUSED) disarm the traps and move around behind the mage before the pause "catches up to him". The interaction doesn't ruin the game for us but it takes a bit of self policing on our parts to not abuse it - however the other player sometimes doesn't know when I've paused and they are unable to pause the game during that time too.

Anyways just contributing this - even though it is only a 1.3 observation for multiplayer - which otherwise has been pretty good except for random crashes about every hour or so. Luckily we can all quit the game and remake it and get everyone back in within 30 seconds so its not a huge inconvenience.
    For me the pause problem is worst when I try to pause immediately after a dialog. It is really annoying (and sometimes deadly) that pause seems to not work after dialogs; especially those that prelude a battle, such as with Silke or Tarnesh. I so wish that could be fixed...
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    What you are describing is different from the one my friends and I experience - however I definitely experience your issue as well. We've just learned to live with that particular weirdness.

Basically the game treats the end of a dialogue as if you just had paused and locks out your ability to pause for 1 second similar to if you and your friend tried to pause at the same time, his pause won't undo yours.

I admit it shouldn't function that way at the end of dialogue but at least it is consistent. Those situations happen a few dozen times and NORMALLY it isn't the end of the world to just micro for that second even though a pause would be more convenient.

The easiest one to reproduce that comes to mind is after Amellysan talks to you in Saradush when you first arrive and then the guards attack. Right after that dialogue you really want to pause but the game won't let you for a second or two.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Can you confirm that the issue isn't that you are sending conflicting pause messages by:
    1) disabling pause for the client player
    and/or 2) using hard pause (you have to assign a hot key for this in options/Gameplay/Assign Keys/Misc)

@Tresset please raise a ticket for the post-dialog pause if it is reproducible.
    @Cerevant It is reported as 21629.