Skip to content

Would you pay for a Shaman stronghold addon?

SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
So the new shaman class won't have a "stronghold" available in BGII apparently. Not one of its own, and it's not getting shoehorned into any of the pre-existing ones. I know a lot of people think the druid one should just be used, but let's assume it won't.

Obviously making an entirely new piece of content like this takes some development, so I wouldn't expect to see
it as a free addition in a patch. Which would mean downloadable content we pay for. Personally, assuming I like
the shaman class, I'd be willing to spend some money for additional class content. Would you?
  1. Would you pay for a Shaman stronghold addon?66 votes
    1. Yes
      19.70%
    2. No
      53.03%
    3. Depends on the price
      25.76%
    4. No vote / show results
        1.52%

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I wouldn't pay just for the stronghold. There are free mods that add more content than a stronghold would.

If it was included as part of a larger expansion, then yes, obviously. But I would be paying for everything else, not just a stronghold addition which will probably only add a handful of quests and no new joinable npcs.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    One of my mods removes the restrictions for strongholds, so I'll still pick them up as a Shaman. However, it would be great if they added a Shaman stronghold! I'm excited to give the new content a whirl when SoD arrives.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Two words: Haunted Forest

I'd pay a reasonable price for a couple of add-ons. This would be good mod fodder as well, which may be preferable in the long run. I hope it happens.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

I really hope we see a Shaman Stronghold mod at some point. For example, becoming the spiritual chief of the Troll Mond could be very fitting for NE Shamans. Or lodging into the Ranger's Cabin as NG Shaman in form as advisor. Heck, I could even see TN Shaman taking up residence within the Faerie Grove. The possibilities are endless!

Shamelessly quoted myself from another thread.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You mean after paying for SoD ? No , I wouldn't.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    I guess I would.

A stronghold DLC entails a lot of content because a new stronghold entails a new class quest and those are the biggest side quests in the game. So new areas, a new boss, new side-plot, new items. And then also the series of stronghold quests themselves.
    If they were to do a good job with that it would be a pretty big deal.
  • JardelixJardelix Member Posts: 2
    Yes i'd love to... well shaman reminds me of spirit shaman from NWN2 Mask of Betrayal... So i would love to see shammy stronghold that is connected to Rashemen - land of spirits, berserkers and wychlaran. That would be pretty badass to go to that land and do some shammy stuff xD
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Depends on the price. And how much content there is...

Fighter Stronghold: It gives some decent content. You get to make several decisions, a map changes (from ruined castle to functioning one), you get an NPC specific quest (rescue Nalia), a small battle (Roenail's assault), and the chance to make some gold. It's not perfect, but there is enough there to make it worthwhile. And it gives a coherent story (and the RP aspect of becoming a landed property owner. Post everything, you can even imagine your character moving back to his/her land). Depending on the price, I might buy the DLC (especially as an Iphone gamer I can't do mods)

Thief Stronghold: One quest, which is really just a single fight. Besides that you get a repetitive series of choices that if you forget to return to, you lose the stronghold. I never bother with it. On the off chance I make a fighter/thief I always go for the fighter stronghold. Regardless of the prices I wouldn't buy the DLC.

• MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    I won't pay for a stronghold only accessible through a class I don't intend to play
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    No I wouldn't pay for just a stronghold. Give the new class an existing one. And if sod is going to rock as much as I expect then make another BG game as well. I would pay for that.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Moonheart said:

I won't pay for a stronghold only accessible through a class I don't intend to play

This, although a brand new stronghold with lots of content exclusive to that class would give me more incentive to play it.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I don't really enjoy summoning/pet classes in any game so I'm never going to play a Shaman and even the NPC will be at best reluctantly accepted in to my team because I'll need pack animals to carry my loot. I'll pay to bring the fat bard and werewolf gnome into BG2 though because I like fat bards and cleric/thieves
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I don't understand why people are so eager to throw money at a company when this is easily within modders' capabilities.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited March 2016

Moonheart said:

This, although a brand new stronghold with lots of content exclusive to that class would give me more incentive to play it.
    People are not used to pay for a content that they can only see if they take -one-special class among dozen.
    You can be different, but I feel you are part of a minority.
    You're incorrect. Any class could do the class quest which would take at least 2/3 of the dlc's content
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Moonheart said:

Moonheart said:

People are not used to pay for a content that they can only see if they take -one-special class among dozen.
    You can be different, but I feel you are part of a minority.
    Well, I did say it would give me more incentive to play it...

As in me. Myself. And I.

I never claimed to speak for a majority. Just myself. :/
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Depends on the price and the content.
    If, say, the stronghold quest is $0,99 for a stronghold as long and as interactive as that of the fighter or mage, yeah I believe I would, but if it's like the Thief Stronghold which is more of an hindrance than anything, I certainly would not.
    I would love, however, a stronghold quest pack that would give several stronghold quests:
    Blackguard should have their own instead of DeArnise
    Shaman should get one. I guess that at the moment they have the druid.
    Monk should get their own as well, and leading the twofold trust after the battle seems the perfect option.
    Giving a specific one to sorcerer could be an option though much less of a priority than the former three in my opinion.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited March 2016
    No offense, and don't take this anger as being directed at you personally, but this is the sort of thing that makes me think the gaming community deserves every bit of abuse AAA companies heap on them.

You want to pay Beamdog for content the game should have had from the outset? Content that's not there because the devs were too busy figuring out font sizes and how to give enemies health bars? Hell no. Don't reward them for taking shortcuts.

EDIT: To be clear, there's a difference between advocating for DLC that constitutes self-contained additions to the game - say, NPC packs that add two or three new party members to the games - and an offer to pay for content that, by any logic, should have been included from the word go. The devs have tried to justify the Shaman's lack of a stronghold (and thus, any class-specific content for that new addition) by citing sourcebook rules, but even if you take that as given, it's not an excuse that can explain why the Blackguard gets De'Arnise Keep when it's a) Evil-exclusive and b) not a Fighter kit.
    Post edited by shawne on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Only if it is also bundled with every other missing stronghold.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Yes and no, shawne. I would pay for new content, which a shaman stronghold would be. Certainly less than I'd pay for a full expansion (like Siege of Dragonspear), and it would depend on me liking the shaman class in the first place, a judgement I can't make about the class in its current beta state, but I would pay for new content.

Do I want to pay? Hell no, I don't want to pay anyone for anything. Ideally the world should give me everything for free. But that's not how the world works. People expect payment for their work and developing new content for a computer game is certainly work.

Whether or not the shaman class should come with a stronghold is irrelevant at this point. It won't. Short of it being bundled with some other paid product (BGII expansion, companion pack, stronghold pack, etc.) or being shoehorned into an existing stronghold, there won't be a stronghold for them either most likely.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    No

I'm happy with the strongholds as they are and would prefer to see more development of the main storyline. If there's going to be new content I'd like to see it in the upcoming patches, and not pay for it as DLC.
    @Silverstar: This is less to do with wanting everything to be free and more to do with you basically giving Beamdog permission to follow in EA's footsteps. This is exactly how pre-order culture and DLC nickel-and-dime tactics started: the devs made a design decision to omit a Shaman stronghold, and you're offering more money on top of what the game already costs to plug the gaps in their own work. All that does is encourage similar gaps in the future - after all, you're going to pay anyway.
    shawne said:

after all, you're going to pay anyway.

I am? Amazing how you know me and my spending habits better than I do myself. Oh wait. You actually don't.

Similarily there's no strongholds for the new cleric kits. Would I pay for those? No, I wouldn't. I have no interest in playing a cleric, and thus no interest in paying for cleric strongholds.

PC version of these games comes with extra portraits and sound packs, which is downloadable content for the other platforms and has to actually be purchased. Would I pay for those? No, I wouldn't. Nor would I pay for Rasaad in either game, as I just don't like monks.

I understand your reasoning shawne. I'm no more into nickle-and-dime downloadable content than you are. Which I why I don't buy it. I own several games that is filled to the brim with downloadable content I would own, if I bought it just for the sake of it. Obviously we have different ideas of what is worth paying for and what isn't though. Or what is a reasonable amount to pay; I never said I'd pay for content regardless of price.

I am? Amazing how you know me and my spending habits better than I do myself. Oh wait. You actually don't.

Uh... you said so yourself. Twice. "I would pay for new content." *shrug*

Good for you that you don't buy DLC that doesn't interest you? Really not the point, though - it's when you do put money down, and for what content, that sends a message. Saying that you wouldn't pay for a cleric kit stronghold but you would pay for a Shaman stronghold is... well, I find that logic a bit confusing, but as you said, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
    shawne said:

Uh... you said so yourself. Twice. "I would pay for new content." *shrug*

Good for you that you don't buy DLC that doesn't interest you? Really not the point, though - it's when you do put money down, and for what content, that sends a message. Saying that you wouldn't pay for a cleric kit stronghold but you would pay for a Shaman stronghold is... well, I find that logic a bit confusing, but as you said, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
    Sorry for not being more exact in my wording. "I would pay, an amount I found reasonable, for content I'd be interested in playing." Is that still confusing? Yes, paying for stuff I like and not paying for stuff I don't like does send a message. I probably will like playing a shaman. I know I don't like playing a cleric. Unless that changes (former class still isn't finalized and latter may get interesting kits down the line I suppose?) I would get additional content for the former but not the latter. Currently I can't really send a message as you put it, since there is no downloadable content to (not) pay for. So you'll just have to take my word for it.
    shawne said:

No offense, and don't take this anger as being directed at you personally, but this is the sort of thing that makes me think the gaming community deserves every bit of abuse AAA companies heap on them.

You want to pay Beamdog for content the game should have had from the outset? Content that's not there because the devs were too busy figuring out font sizes and how to give enemies health bars? Hell no. Don't reward them for taking shortcuts.

EDIT: To be clear, there's a difference between advocating for DLC that constitutes self-contained additions to the game - say, NPC packs that add two or three new party members to the games - and an offer to pay for content that, by any logic, should have been included from the word go. The devs have tried to justify the Shaman's lack of a stronghold (and thus, any class-specific content for that new addition) by citing sourcebook rules, but even if you take that as given, it's not an excuse that can explain why the Blackguard gets De'Arnise Keep when it's a) Evil-exclusive and b) not a Fighter kit.

it's a lot of stuff: class quest (gaining the stronghold) + stronghold quests (having the stronghold)
    all the new assets must also be made (plenty new areas)
    that's how it must work...and that's several hours of gameplay. it's a big addition to the game, so i'd cut them some slack for not feeling compelled to do it just from the standpoint of formal, structural perfectness
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    shawne said:

The Shaman class is free.

It is part of version 2.0 which does not require the purchase of SoD.

I also don't see how a Shaman stronghold should have been added from the outset. SoD is an expansion for Baldur's Gate and not SoA.

When they do decide to add premium new content (read as give us money) to BG2:EE, I expect all the missing strongholds (Barbarian, Monk, Blackguard, Shaman, Dwarven Defender, new priest kits) to be included.