Skip to content

Is this game just dungeons and no overworld?

This post might contain some spoilers.

I'm part way in to Chapter 3 and so far there hasn't been any overworld exploration aside from 1 town... which is pretty disappointing. Does the expansion pack have any overworld areas to explore?

Comments

• SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Not much, 1 town + 4 small locations. Icewind Dale is all about dungeons :P You have to hate it or love it. They are really frustraiting for me too but I love the feeling when I complete one.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    Sikorsky said:

They are really frustraiting for me too but I love the feeling when I complete one.

Yes, they really needed to have some down time between the dungeons. IWD is older than Baldur's Gate right? Edit: Huh, IWD is 2 years newer than Baldur's Gate... Baldur's Gate so far seems to have a much nicer world design (The story in IWD is pretty good though).
    Post edited by Franpa on
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    IWD is more of a dungeon crawler based on the infinity engine rather than an rpg. I still love the game, though. It is still a great story. It just tells the story differently than BG.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited March 2016
    Sikorsky said:

Not much, 1 town + 4 small locations.

Wyrm's Tooth is not small... Does it not count as an outdoors area?

In any case, the expansion has more surface areas.

EDIT: Ah, I may have misread - you were already talking about the expansion, weren't you?
    I do think it has a much higher outdoors-to-indoors ratio than the base game though.
    It may have only a handful of outdoors areas, but that's because it doesn't have that many areas in total...
    The Burial Isle and Gloomfrost, for example, have outdoors parts which are as big as their indoor parts - and the Barbarian Camp actually has a too big outdoors part for its own good.
    In Dragon's Eye and the Severed Hand, by comparison, the outdoors part is tiny and the indoors part is huge.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Franpa said:

Is this game just dungeons and no overworld?

Pretty much. :neutral:
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Franpa said:

Sikorsky said:

They are really frustraiting for me too but I love the feeling when I complete one.

Yes, they really needed to have some down time between the dungeons. IWD is older than Baldur's Gate right? Edit: Huh, IWD is 2 years newer than Baldur's Gate... Baldur's Gate so far seems to have a much nicer world design (The story in IWD is pretty good though).
    They where designed to be different types of game. IWD is combat focused, Planescape Torment is story focused, BG is in between.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited March 2016
    IWD's atmosphere is fantastic, But it's a very lonely game. in BG you can talk to huge amounts of people whereas in IWD you spend vast quantities of time between dialogues.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Well it is true that icewind dale is a bit linear, essentially focusing on dungeons, sometimes I felt that it was too bad that we didn't have more input, the set up had a lot of potential, but this WILL be fix with iwd3 of course :)