Skip to content

Dwarves or Elves?

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
edited March 2016 in Off-Topic
Which one is the best race? The stocky and hardworking dwarves or the beautific and smug elves?
  1. Dwarves or Elves?68 votes
    1. Dwarves
      47.06%
    2. Elves
      52.94%

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Between those two I'm going with elf because of Drow.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I would go with dwarves, in bg1 you can start with 19 con, then read a tome to hit 20 con, which makes you start to regenerate, then if you use Bentley's buckler you can hit 21 and if you are a warrior class that is a +6 bonus to HP

plus they have amazing saves, especially fighter/clerics, they start with a save vs death of 5, simply killer
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Humans.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Out of the two in that poll?

Dwarfs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GifGJtKhk

Closely followed by the Angroschians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzZT9_0iZlo

Otherwise I would have voted for the jellyfied and amorphous slimes.
  • OsigoldOsigold Member Posts: 117
    Elves are the superior race, because humans outperform dwarves at the whole "drunken, avaricious and bearded" thing.
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    I would like to qualify my vote by saying that I don't necessarily think dwarves aren't great; I just personally find elves more interesting.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Pretty sure I would be more comfortable hanging out with Dwarves, and species that Humans are less able to hang out with comfortably have a bad habit of going extinct, so Dwarves must be the superior race
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited March 2016
    LoTR elves worked great as a race that was somewhat secretive, isolated and was even on its way out of the world. I've never seen them as working so well as permanent residents in other fantasy settings. All the other races have sort of specific personalities and things they enjoy and then there are the Elves who are basically perfect and immortal. It's weird. And yes, I'm aware that makes my choice of name a lil odd.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Dwelves: 50% Dwarf, 50% Elf, 100% Amazing
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Elves have the looks, dwarves are great at building cities.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I love them both, but elves are more fun to hate. :tongue:
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    TheElf wrote: »
    and then there are the Elves who are basically perfect and immortal. It's weird.

That's exact impression I've got of elves from LoTR actually. Each and every elven character from the LoTR seemed like gary-stu/mary-sue to me.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited June 2016
    ^ Thats exactly the point of Tolkien Elves. Just look at Fingolfin vs Morgoth in the Silmarillion. Tolkien lived and died before the concept of Gary Stu even existed and he inteded the whole Arda saga as a spiritual successor of ancient mythologies. Besideds, Elves in most other fantasy settings don't have the same qualities as Arda Elves.

Of course, i couldn't expect better from a narutard.
    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    "Bright Dugmaren! Send forth wisdom on them!"
    ~VYMYR, the Half-Sage
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Elves might be pretty, but in Faerun pretty seldom endures.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    bengoshi wrote: »
    Hey, @Grum, @lolien, @Moradin, @Rodrian, @Sharguild and @mch202!

It looks like them, bark chewers and pointy listeners, are winning here. Let them taste the Clangeddin's hammer!

... and Moradin's wrath! And Dumathoin's... uhm.... beer! Yeah, beer!
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2016
    I do love Dwarves, partly because they are usually portrayed as heavy drinking, ass-kicking Scotsmen (and women) in most fictional settings which as a Scotsman I rather enjoy, but I voted for the Elves.

Mostly because in most settings Elves and Elven society is portrayed as Idyllic and inspiring (and I enjoy seeing this subverted, where they Elves are portrayed as Douchekettles, also) and I love this for the same reason that I love The United Federation of Planets from Star Trek.

So the Elves got it from me.
    Post edited by ScotGaymer on
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I personally am a natural dwarf... short(ish), wide(ish), grumpy(no ish necessary) and bearded.
    (I once attended a fancy dress party with my tall(er than me), blonde exgf as Gimli and Legolas and it was perfect.)

That said, I can never bring myself to play one in any rpg... I just love the shiny knife-ears with their elegant blades and bows and their oh-so-supple forms.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Don't get me wrong, Dwarves are great and all.

But elves are hot.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Needs more orcs, k.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Dwarf: when you need a stout warrior to stand up to anything, an elf just won't get it done.
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    Guess what way I voted....
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Don't make me choose D: