Skip to content

User Ratings on Metacritic (*SPOILERS*)

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

If you think the backlash to this has been overblown, I would encourage you to do the right thing and stand up against these people even if you happen to agree with them: write an honest review that evaluates the game on the other 99.99% of its content, even if it's negative.

You're asking people to actually have half a brain and use it, to write an actual review.
    If you don't like one part of the game, of course it's worth 0/10. Duh.

/sarcasm
  • TheCrowing1432TheCrowing1432 Member Posts: 17
    >Implying SJWS havent done this exact thing to games they dont like.
    >Its only a problem when others do it.

Pfft, all the people defending the shit tier writing of this expansion, would be perfectly happy dogpiling negative reviews of a game they dont like
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325

Pfft, all the people defending the shit tier writing of this expansion, would be perfectly happy dogpiling negative reviews of a game they dont like

You are not on 4chan /v/irgin.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    I think every fat guy like me who played BG1 in 1998 will still buy it regardless. I admit I actually would buy another expansion DnD wise from Beamdawg. On the hand if you are a 15 year old who has no clue about DnD or the old BG1 but did dislike the new ideals of progressive pop culture I could see you not buying it. Just listen to some current thug hip hop ans see what negative things they have to say about progressive left leaning ideals and you can guess why they will not buy the game if they read a negative review.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

Sorry, but I've legitimately never done anything like this. When people thought Pillars of Eternity had a transphobic joke, they didn't do anything this extreme either. And I defended the developer even though the joke wasn't to my taste.

This isn't EA or Bethesda... this is a small company employing a small group of people. Release day sales matter a lot more to companies of this size and efforts like what you're encouraging have a drastically larger impact.

Let's say, just hypothetically, that this diminished sales enough to cause layoffs or cutbacks or something. Would you be OK with people losing their livelihoods over your reaction to one line of dialogue? What if this ruined collaboration with WoTC? Would you be OK with denying further content to people who loved SoD because you're opposed to a game you probably haven't even played?

Try putting yourself in their shoes and in ours. How would you feel if you loved a small little game and people who never even played it tried to ruin chances of further content for you? And if you believe that SJWs have done this to games you love in the past, then you know first hand how awful that would feel.

If you've played the game, I would really encourage you to leave an honest review. If you haven't, then ask yourself what would be the most reasonable and responsible thing for you to do.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Foggy said:

I wrote a review that gave 4/5 on GoG which is in my opinion what the game deserves since there are some bugs and I was not very happy with the UI, still got downvoted into oblivion. At this point I tell myself why even bother, and I blame Beamdog for dragging Baldur's Gate franchise into a cultural war that will affect it negatively. I feel like I lost part of my soul this last couple of days looking at this whole mess and I don't care who's wrong or whose right, this game is pretty fun to play and didn't deserve this. 2/5 on Gog witha whooping 533 reviews -90% of which didn't even play the game- and mixed reviews on Steam means Siege of Dragonspear is now the hostage of 2 sides settling their scores.

Beamdog should reach out to big gaming sites and professional magazines, and you guys steam n youtube or twitch some playthroughs, that would eventually tip the scales and bring some believable insight into the game, because at this point any positive or objective review will be discarded as SJW regardless of its content. But I guess that I'm just a conservative east european jew who quoted Breitbart so my opinion doesn't matter.

Beamdog didn't do a damn thing to invite this or deserve it. They didn't drag Baldur's Gate into anything. This is a Gamergate related conspiracy that is the result of a perpetually aggrieved group of people fishing for literally ANYTHING they can hook onto and create a nonsense fiasco over. And they don't really give a hot damn who it affects in real life, because real life doesn't matter to them. The entire Gamergate phenomena is an extension of their artificial life online that has next to zero bearing on any real-world issue. It is, to put it in terms everyone can understand, a bunch of people acting like assholes because they enjoy doing so. It's fun for them....
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    RedKnight said:

RedKnight said:

Again, my problem with her was the interview in which she said BG was sexist and said she would change it by changing 2 characters. Its the same shit I have seen in comic books when they forcefully changed Thor into a female. Its one thing to allow your political views get into art you are creating in subtle ways, but doing something extreme as changing original characters into something else is a whole another story!

But she didn't say either of those things, really.

“If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad.”

“I got to write a little tender, romance-y side quest for Khalid and Jaheira where you could learn a little bit about how their marriage works and how they really feel about each other.”

She said there is sexism in BG. Which is fair. There is. How much you value it/it annoys you is up to you, of course. But it's there. I mean, hell, we're talking about the series where the only native female romance option is Anomen.

That's pretty much a straight up assault on women. :p

To the other point, she basically said two archetypal characters will get personality upgrades. While that is possible to construe as completely bastardizing the characters, it's also pretty easy to read as choosing to simply expand on them as characters.

Like she talks about in the second quote. Jaheria's love of Khalid (which is quite real, since, you know, reactions in BG2 and all) gets a chance to be played up a bit over the nagging. Which strikes me as good, assuming it was decently executed.
    Lol! What do you mean? She said the original game had sexism in it. She gave examples and said that was not the kind of story she wanted to make, only to conclude the whole thing how she doesnt give a shit if we dont like her "personality upgrades".

Assault on women? Oh come on... What are you smoking? That just triviliazes the word assault. You know what assault is, right? You are aware that the reason behind there being only 1 female romance was the target group. Developers know who plays their games, so they focused on their targeted audience. There is nothing sexist about it.

Jaheira is the nagging wife? Err... nope. She isnt. But even if she was, Khalid is the bumbling idiot. I say Khalid definately got the worse treatment. But nobody cares, because he is a man.

Oh... and that final thing you mentioned is just pure gold. Yes you can interpret words however you wish, but in the context of sexism, and her making changes... I think its perfectly understandable why people flipped their shit.
    Here is a question for you: Was there stereotyped characters in the original games that could be portrayed as sexist? Answer yes or no. Go.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    deltago said:

Here is a question for you: Was there stereotyped characters in the original games that could be portrayed as sexist? Answer yes or no. Go.

I mean... the guy in your user pic flat-out tells a female CHARNAME that there's no way the stories people tell about her adventures are true, because she's just a woman. And that was the only love interest female characters had, versus three very different women for male characters. So clearly, there's something going on there.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Foggy said:

I wrote a review that gave 4/5 on GoG which is in my opinion what the game deserves since there are some bugs and I was not very happy with the UI, still got downvoted into oblivion. At this point I tell myself why even bother, and I blame Beamdog for dragging Baldur's Gate franchise into a cultural war that will affect it negatively. I feel like I lost part of my soul this last couple of days looking at this whole mess and I don't care who's wrong or whose right, this game is pretty fun to play and didn't deserve this. 2/5 on Gog witha whooping 533 reviews -90% of which didn't even play the game- and mixed reviews on Steam means Siege of Dragonspear is now the hostage of 2 sides settling their scores.

Beamdog should reach out to big gaming sites and professional magazines, and you guys steam n youtube or twitch some playthroughs, that would eventually tip the scales and bring some believable insight into the game, because at this point any positive or objective review will be discarded as SJW regardless of its content. But I guess that I'm just a conservative east european jew who quoted Breitbart so my opinion doesn't matter.

As did I because I feel it deserves it. Sadly any positive reviews are being labeled as false and lies, but oh well. I just hope my feelings on the game reach at least a few people and show them that this is so overblown it's not even funny.

I also contacted GoG directly and suggested that they need to change how their reviews are monitored and handled. I was shocked to learn that people who don't even own the game are allowed to review it. That goes for every game too, it's a problem.
    edited April 2016
    deltago said:

Wasn't directed to me but actually, there is one joinable NPC in BG1 that is the very dictionary stereotyped definition of sexist:
    Shar-Teel. "Male scum".

Perhaps Viconia too. She's a typical Drow after all.

Other than that, I don't consider any other NPC as sexist or portrayed as sexist.

Stereotype? Sure. Almost every single joinable NPC is a stereotype.
    First of all: Minsc. Which is the gentle-giant stereotype.

In other news, the Metacritic score is slowly going up, apparently.
    I'm expecting the professional reviews, personally.

I don't trust people that can only think in binary: 10s or 0s.

"Enough. I will no longer listen to the babbling of ignorant children." To quote a certain mage.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201

18 pages of reviews on GOG, in comparison to only 9 for the most recent Witcher 3 expansion. 291 on Metacritic, as compared to 42 for the Fallout 4 DLC. If anyone doesn't think their is a coordinated campaign of negative reviews being lobbed at this game by people who don't own it, haven't played it, and likely don't even care about the series, you need to have your head examined.....

There are lots of people who've never played the game that are spamming reviews, yes. But they aren't co-ordinated. They're pissed off about SJW politics invading Baldur's Gate, the devs' reaction to it and pleas for positive reviews.
    Archaos said:

deltago said:

Wasn't directed to me but actually, there is one joinable NPC in BG1 that is the very dictionary stereotyped definition of sexist:
    Shar-Teel. "Male scum".

Perhaps Viconia too. She's a typical Drow after all.

Other than that, I don't consider any other NPC as sexist or portrayed as sexist.

Stereotype? Sure. Almost every single joinable NPC is a stereotype.
    First of all: Minsc. Which is the gentle-giant stereotype.

In other news, the Metacritic score is slowly going up, apparently.
    I'm expecting the professional reviews, personally.

I don't trust people that can only think in binary: 10s or 0s.
    I can definitely agree with that last sentiment.

If that's the case, I would encourage you to write a nuanced and honest review of the game's content if you've played it... maybe a 3 or a 7 :)
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Joey said:

18 pages of reviews on GOG, in comparison to only 9 for the most recent Witcher 3 expansion. 291 on Metacritic, as compared to 42 for the Fallout 4 DLC. If anyone doesn't think their is a coordinated campaign of negative reviews being lobbed at this game by people who don't own it, haven't played it, and likely don't even care about the series, you need to have your head examined.....

There are lots of people who've never played the game that are spamming reviews, yes. But they aren't co-ordinated. They're pissed off about SJW politics invading Baldur's Gate, the devs' reaction to it and pleas for positive reviews.
    I really wish people would stop misrepresenting Trent's suggestion about Positive Reviews. He was not pleading, nor was he begging. He said IF we enjoy it, we should think about giving a REAL review of the game to help offset the troll brigade and their misinformation. "IF" is the keyword in what he said. There is nothing wrong with that.
    Joey said:

I wouldn't exclude the possibility, to be honest.
    It has happened before. Feminists/SJWs rallying on Twitter or Facebook or Tumblr for some nonsense reason and trying to bomb events/movies/games.

All it takes are a couple of forums of fanatics and boom.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    Ok I am unsure of some comment Minsc did or did not make- if he made one I discounted it as him being a stupid sometimes battle made oaf. I think the gamer gate issue is where a girl and a guy were intimate - then the girl broke off the relationship and then the guy felt spurned and claimed she had other intimate relationships with some computer or corporate guy while she was dating him.

Then everyone took a side to say - "oh the girl was treacherous the guy was wronged" or "Oh the guy was mean he tried to shame her calling her a cheater when she was just a normal girl."

All I can say in this matter is that it is unkind to disclose a relationship or details of that nature to the public so I would side with Minsc. On the other hand the guy claims she used the victim card and actually wronged him- but in that case if you are a real man who loves a woman you embraced you forgive and forget about her - unless she is like that one witch in Conan the Barbarian who laid with Arnold and then tried to eat him.

I could see how males who like hateful thug music that debases women - who have immortal souls just like men - would also be drawn to some kind of rally point where they say - "oh she is a s.... and a b...."

I could not get the actual thing the girl did against him other than- according to him - get with another guy when he assumed they were in a one-one only state. That of course is the folly non-traditional relationships apart from a ultimate cleric ordained bond.

But yeah if the Gamer Gate side by Beamdog has been taken on a huge tit for tat debate already in progress I would say that was a poor choice as you are going to polarize one side against you and lose those customers. It would be like Edwin making an off hand comment like, "My might from the Air will send these foes to fireball doom Ha ha ha behold my droning spell fire from stealth!"

I would immediately post here and say - "Hey do not make Edwin Pro-Drone-strike!" Then some other people would post and say "We have to have preemptive strikes with drones even if there is collateral damage!" Then a whole huge debate would start about modern total war - oh that is a game... Anyway I think Beamdog failed on the forethought with that... But it really means nothing to me- I did not notice it and I had Minsc until I got Dorn the anti Social game ever gate head bashing blackguard.

Now in hindsight I guess Beamdawg is bleating their sheep running out the pen door. I truly hope it does not end a future relationship of some DnD lust that was meant to be but is now bereft in acrimony. I still can not be bothered to put a positive review out... maybe at lunch break tomorrow...
    edited April 2016
    Joey said:

We understand that the reviews are political, that's the problem. It's an effort to manipulate the process in an attempt to deprive others of future content.

If you scroll up, I talked about how doing this to a game you've never played may have a real and painful impact on people's lives. Is it worth it? Would a boycott not be enough?
    edited April 2016
    Joey said:

Bull....I provide numbers, and there is no way in hell there is an actual audience for these games pissed off enough that DWARFS the amount of people willing to review DLCs of two of the biggest games of the past year released on multiple consoles. Much less a game as minor in the grand scheme of things as Siege. Fallout 4 has sold 12 million copies. You're telling me there is an organic reaction to a expansion to a 20 year old game that is legitimately causing it to produce 4 times as many reviews as the first DLC to one of the best-selling games of all-time?? There shouldn't be this amount of reviews for Siege either positive OR negative. It's completely and utterly out of proportion, and it's beyond obvious.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    Vyrulisse said:

Joey said:

I really wish people would stop misrepresenting Trent's suggestion about Positive Reviews. He was not pleading, nor was he begging. He said IF we enjoy it, we should think about giving a REAL review of the game to help offset the troll brigade and their misinformation. "IF" is the keyword in what he said. There is nothing wrong with that.
    ...*to* you. To a lot of people, that looks shifty as hell. People are pissed off at him for politicising a new release and his response is to publicly insult them and ask for his fanbase to brigade review sites? Yeah, even if you're on his side that is a really daft idea.
    Purudaya said:

I can definitely agree with that last sentiment.

If that's the case, I would encourage you to write a nuanced and honest review of the game's content if you've played it... maybe a 3 or a 7 :)

I will not consider writing a review until I have played it and finished it from start to end.
    Some people never played truly awful or truly amazing games apparently.

I still remember that Oblivion's Shivering Isles expansion was corrupting your saves and same with Skyrim, when they were released.
    Nevermind the former's clay-like face textures, awful writing, dumbing down, pointless and scaled leveling and insane number of bugs/glitches/crashes/unoptimization and yet still went "BEST GAEM EVAR!!!1111"
    Joey said:

Vyrulisse said:

Joey said:

...*to* you. To a lot of people, that looks shifty as hell. People are pissed off at him for politicising a new release and his response is to publicly insult them and ask for his fanbase to brigade review sites? Yeah, even if you're on his side that is a really daft idea.
    How did he publicly insult them?
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2016
    Joey said:

a series so close to my heart has been ruined by devs

"Ruined"

What a silly, melodramatic thing to say. How fragile you must be if the slightest commentary on reality "ruins" things you enjoy.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Joey said:

Vyrulisse said:

Joey said:

Isn't it hypocritical to suggest that figuring a lot of people were called to action on this through reddit?
    Smaug said:

Joey said:

a series so close to my heart has been ruined by devs

"Ruined"

What a silly, melodramatic thing to say. How fragile you must be if the slightest commentary on reality "ruins" things you enjoy.
    Agreed. The game (which is close to my heart too, btw) can be found in its pure, unadulterated, unaltered, original form over at GoG for $9.99. You can literally play it right now exactly as it was in 1998 and forget any of this ever happened.

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

No one has taken ANYTHING away from you.
    Vyrulisse said:

To those who still doubt there is a concerted effort to destroy this game's reputation by people who probably don't even play it, I found this: http://i.imgtc.com/bbfOlwmsX2.png

Based on this the negative reviews being spammed are about 4 to 8 times more than they should be, indeed, the amount of reviews themselves are 4 to 8 times more than they should be.
    edited April 2016
    Vyrulisse said:

To those who still doubt there is a concerted effort to destroy this game's reputation by people who probably don't even play it, I found this: http://i.imgtc.com/bbfOlwmsX2.png

So someone admitted to making a mistake and explained what it was and how to fix, yet people bombed his review?

At the very least, some people are terribly biased and won't change their minds no matter what facts.
    Nothing new.

Like I said, wait for the actual professional reviews.
    I don't really trust the masses, generally.

Especially such sites, people like to get on bandwagons and either go 10s or 0s.
    No objective and researched review.
    A bunch of babies.
This discussion has been closed.