Skip to content

User Ratings on Metacritic (*SPOILERS*)

Comments

• MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    I wouldn't recommend a jog for those who are perpetually offended and aggrieved since it must be exhausting to always be on the lookout for new ways to feel slighted and mistreated.

Maybe a nice, long nap.
    lansounetQbertSayakiGrum
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Milo said:

I wouldn't recommend a jog for those who are perpetually offended and aggrieved since it must be exhausting to always be on the lookout for new ways to feel slighted and mistreated.

Maybe a nice, long nap.

Yeah, God forbid they come across a "Coexist" bumper sticker out there or something. It's a dangerous and frightening world.
    FinnTheHumanSayakiGrum
  • UltraB00nUltraB00n Member Posts: 37

Are you attempting to equate feminism with Nazism? Or is your use of hyperbole simply in poor taste?

I don't think the point was to equate the two ideologies but rather to raise the question whether you would support a developer and product whose politics and may find problematic, especially if the creative output becomes, for lack of a better word, preachy. He should have chosen a better example instead of invoking Uncle Adolf - that's always a losing proposition.

Let me provide you another example, which I have brought up before. Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" novels. He employs various characters that are just thinly veiled vessels for spouting Randian Objectivism. In fact, the series is flush with often hamfisted symbolism to that extend. Now, I don't like the ideology of Objectivism and I don't like to be preached at and lectured and indoctrinated via entertainment media I consume as a means of escapism. So I stopped giving Goodkind my money and stopped reading the series.

I will probably do the same with regard to Beamdog, as I find Identity Politics to be toxic and I blame it for destroying the political left in the Anlgo-American world.
    Osigold
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    UltraB00n said:

Are you attempting to equate feminism with Nazism? Or is your use of hyperbole simply in poor taste?

I don't think the point was to equate the two ideologies but rather to raise the question whether you would support a developer and product whose politics and may find problematic, especially if the creative output becomes, for lack of a better word, preachy. He should have chosen a better example instead of invoking Uncle Adolf - that's always a losing proposition.

Let me provide you another example, which I have brought up before. Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" novels. He employs various characters that are just thinly veiled vessels for spouting Randian Objectivism. In fact, the series is flush with often hamfisted symbolism to that extend. Now, I don't like the ideology of Objectivism and I don't like to be preached at and lectured and indoctrinated via entertainment media I consume as a means of escapism. So I stopped giving Goodkind my money and stopped reading the series.

I will probably do the same with regard to Beamdog, as I find Identity Politics to be toxic and I blame it for destroying the political left in the Anlgo-American world.
    you sir are spot on.
    UltraB00n said:

That's cool. It sounds like those books contained a lot more content that you disliked than the few lines of dialogue in SoD. Did you join or support a crusade against the Sword of Truth novels in order to bombard goodreads with bad reviews and deter future sales of the title?
    IllustairFawnkySayakiGrum
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited April 2016
    It would be nice if that's where all the negativities are directed to, to "stop giving money and stop reading the series" on a personal level. So we can say good riddance. But no, that's just not enough, yes? Let's raise arms and burn this company to the ground is the more apparent agenda here. Let's downvote all the positive reviews, not because we don't believe them to be true, but because there exists somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of lines a few lines that are controversial. And don't forget to leave your 0s and 1s! Who freakin cares about the overall game when there are few controversial lines??!! I'm so butthurt!
    [Deleted User]FinnTheHumanSayaki
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    Purudaya said:

Joey said:

Purudaya said:

Joey said:

Question for the anti-GGers/pro-SJWs in this thread -

Would you buy a game from a company where one of the devs was an outspoken neo-nazi, even if the game itself was not nazi, save for a single charector who tells you that the holocaust was a lie, and a couple of easter eggs about Jews controlling world media, without any irony or context that would excuse said remarks?

This is simply as a thought experiment.

Horrible false equivalency. Ridiculous. A true equivalency would be a neutral reference to Trump, a Minsc Easter egg in support of Gamergate, or a mildly homophobic joke.

But to your point, no – I might not buy that game, just like nobody is forcing you to buy this one. What I wouldn't do is haunt the developer's forums and make it my mission to sink the franchise by bombing websites with wave after wave of negative reviews.
    So other than choosing not to buy it yourself, you'd be fine with other people buying it? You'd make no effort to publicize the developers' extremist opinions or normalisation of said opinions in the game?

That's up to you of course. But surely you wouldn't judge others for pro-actively trying to draw attention to the fact?
    Over a single Trump reference or pro-gamergate Easter egg? Or a transphobic joke? Pillars of Eternity had one of those and you guys were nowhere to be found. Where was your high minded anger over "agendas" then?

Although there was a backlash, nobody tried to *destroy* PoE. And if they HAD faced something this overblown, I would view the attackers as pathetic, thin skinned children. Just like the fragile, ever-offended gamerbros here who can't handle living in a world where they may be confronted with something that they don't like. I would never support this level of wounded victim mentality over such minor content. How can you?
    The snide comments and outright rudeness prevent me from writing a proper reply. In fact the anti-GG crown on these forums are staggeringly ill-mannered (remember the locked thread with a meme image telling someone to 'learn to speak fucking English?'). Eventually the pro-GGers will leave and the forums will become even more of an SJW circle-jerk, and trust me when I say that is really not good for the BG franchise.

If you don't want to engage in an argument, then don't. But don't pretend to reply, then describe the people you're arguing with as " pathetic, thin skinned children... fragile, ever-offended gamerbros...wounded victim mentality".

Coffeethrall
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Joey said:

Eventually the pro-GGers will leave

Promise?
    IllustairFinnTheHumanSayaki
    Purudaya said:

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

You asked me what I would do were the situation reversed, and I told you. I would never condone trying to destroy a release because of one or two lines of dialogue I didn't agree with because I am confident enough in my beliefs to not be threatened when I encounter something that runs contrary to them. I asked how you can support the - I think objectively at this point - overblown attempt to sink this game. You declined to answer.

Giving a reply followed by a paragraph of snark is not a reply. The damage has already been done, I was merely trying to open your mind a bit.

The irony of this is that *you guys have overblown it*. By reacting so harshly to criticism, you - and the devs - have cemented Beamdog's reputation as an SJW developer, pretty much doomed to bad PR from this point on. They've taken a childhood memory and smeared their own extremist contemporary politics onto it, then reacted to criticism of it by doubling down on the politics. All of this could have been avoided.
    XzarCoffeethrallproghead3
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Joey said:

Purudaya said:

You asked me what I would do were the situation reversed, and I told you. I would never condone trying to destroy a release because of one or two lines of dialogue I didn't agree with because I am confident enough in my beliefs to not be threatened when I encounter something that runs contrary to them. I asked how you can support the - I think objectively at this point - overblown attempt to sink this game. You declined to answer.

Giving a reply followed by a paragraph of snark is not a reply. The damage has already been done, I was merely trying to open your mind a bit.

The irony of this is that *you guys have overblown it*. By reacting so harshly to criticism, you - and the devs - have cemented Beamdog's reputation as an SJW developer, pretty much doomed to bad PR from this point on. They've taken a childhood memory and smeared their own extremist contemporary politics onto it, then reacted to criticism of it by doubling down on the politics. All of this could have been avoided.
    Joey...... so much hyperbole.

1. Beamdog now has a reputation as an 'SJW' developer.
    2. Beamdog is doomed to bad PR from now on.
    3. Beamdog believe in extremist contemporary politics
    4. Beamdog have smeared these extremist contemporary politics on the BG series.

These are your opinions, and simply stating them doesn't automatically make them right.

I have an idea....

Play the game. Enjoy it. Tell people about it. Play it some more. Don't enjoy it. Tell people why. Don't play it again.
    InconnuKrotosGrum
    BGLover said:

These are your opinions, and simply stating them doesn't automatically make them right.

I have an idea....

Play the game. Enjoy it. Tell people about it. Play it some more. Don't enjoy it. Tell people why. Don't play it again.

There are currently about a dozen threads on KIA about this (it's already being called Baldur's Gate-Gate), the top one has 1500 upvotes. Already a couple of the more popular streamers have been notified, BG has a place in the heart of many of the popular and influential voices in gaming, and they *will* be pissed. This hasn't even started yet.

And I see devs have now taken to twitter to cry about the mess they've made for themselves and insult people who disagree with them! So it'll all die down soon, right?
    Coffeethrall
    Purudaya said:

Joey said:

Purudaya said:

You still refuse to answer the question and you're hiding behind my snark as a means to avoid the issue.

What you see as extremism others see as an innocent shout out. The difference is that your side has mobilized in a transparent attempt to sink the reviews of this game. That goes beyond boycotting, that's trying to punish a developer for including a reference you disagree with. You don't get to demand to live in a world where you are never faced with things you don't like.
    No, but people have the right to be pissed at a very old series that is close to their hearts suddenly being injected with extremist politics, regardless of how subtle it may seem. Nobody really cares what the devs do - if they did, these boards will be flooded. The real effort is making sure people know what is happening so that nobody wastes their hard-earned money on buying the product.
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Joey said:

BGLover said:

I have an idea....

There are currently about a dozen threads on KIA about this (it's already being called Baldur's Gate-Gate), the top one has 1500 upvotes. Already a couple of the more popular streamers have been notified, BG has a place in the heart of many of the popular and influential voices in gaming, and they *will* be pissed. This hasn't even started yet.

And I see devs have now taken to twitter to cry about the mess they've made for themselves and insult people who disagree with them! So it'll all die down soon, right?
    For people that love to accuse others of extremism, can't you see that you're the exact same thing on the opposite side of the fence?
    Sayaki
    Inconnu said:

Joey said:

BGLover said:

I have an idea....

For people that love to accuse others of extremism, can't you see that you're the exact same thing on the opposite side of the fence?
    Okay you've jumped the shark now. "Hah you accuse us of x, actually you are x!". This is why I stopped posting on forums to begin with.
    Joey said:

Purudaya said:

Joey said:

Purudaya said:

You still refuse to answer the question and you're hiding behind my snark as a means to avoid the issue.

What you see as extremism others see as an innocent shout out. The difference is that your side has mobilized in a transparent attempt to sink the reviews of this game. That goes beyond boycotting, that's trying to punish a developer for including a reference you disagree with. You don't get to demand to live in a world where you are never faced with things you don't like.
    No, but people have the right to be pissed at a very old series that is close to their hearts suddenly being injected with extremist politics, regardless of how subtle it may seem. Nobody really cares what the devs do - if they did, these boards will be flooded. The real effort is making sure people know what is happening so that nobody wastes their hard-earned money on buying the product.
    I'm sorry, have I missed something? Has the original, pre-EE Baldur's gate ceased to exist? Are you unable to purchase that game and are now forced to play this one?
    edited April 2016
    Joey said:

Inconnu said:

Joey said:

BGLover said:

I have an idea....

Okay you've jumped the shark now. "Hah you accuse us of x, actually you are x!". This is why I stopped posting on forums to begin with.
    That's weird, it doesn't SEEM like you've stopped posting on forums.
    joluvFinnTheHumanSayaki
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Joey said:

Inconnu said:

Joey said:

BGLover said:

I have an idea....

Think the shark was jumped when a certain group decided to mob the forums and reviews en mass with their, dare I say it...agenda?
    Sayaki
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Everything can still calm down if developers reach out to non-liberal part of their fanbase. If they continue to act as self-righteous crusaders on holy quest for global liberalism it can only get worse. Time to decide whos more valuable to them - right-wing BG fans or liberal intelligentsia who doesnt play games.
    [Deleted User]Qbert
    Xzar said:

Everything can still calm down if developers reach out to non-liberal part of their fanbase. If they continue to act as self-righteous crusaders on holy quest for global liberalism it can only get worse. Time to decide whos more valuable to them - right-wing BG fans or liberal intelligentsia who doesnt play games.

...or just leave the politics out of gaming altogether, that'd work.
    Qbertpekoproghead3
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2016
    Xzar said:

If the inclusion of a merchant who is transgender in a 30 hour niche market game counts as a "holy quest for global liberalism" then I have to say as a liberal that we are in real trouble, and we better do a better job.
    zupskypekoSayaki
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Xzar said:

right-wing BG fans or liberal intelligentsia who doesnt play games.

These are the only two groups.
    [Deleted User]pekoSayaki
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Donald Trump please make Baldur's Gate great again.
    EnvygamesKrotosSayaki
This discussion has been closed.