Skip to content

Beamdog: Solutions to Crisis

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52

To me, the response to the mild tokenism of a trans person has been a wild overreaction. But I'm willing to concede -- to offer trust -- that trans allies who are strongly denouncing the character's representation may be truthful. If Beamdog were to change things, would many of these former denouncers change their opinions? This isn't all about Beamdog. It's about the reaction of people who consider themselves anti-SJWs and GGs. If they're truly good, they'll show it when offered a hand.

Well you'd be offering a hand to this ...
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/371918937275630653/

these are the kind of opinions that come along with the whole discussion...The thought of giving in to that makes me sick!
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    Autocrat said:

On a related note, can we please get rid of Purudaya and Shawne? They have been incredibly annoying about this whole issue, and I frankly never want to read another one of their hateful posts again.

Different strokes I s'pose. The two posters you reference have been anything but hateful or annoying and, in fact, if asked I'd say they are speaking the most sense in all of this ridiculous, manufactured madness.

On topic, don't cowtow to the persecuted whiners, Beamdog. Do that and they'll just find another perceived slight and mount the ol' soapbox again.
  • prem0nitionprem0nition Member Posts: 65

To me, the response to the mild tokenism of a trans person has been a wild overreaction. But I'm willing to concede -- to offer trust -- that trans allies who are strongly denouncing the character's representation may be truthful. If Beamdog were to change things, would many of these former denouncers change their opinions? This isn't all about Beamdog. It's about the reaction of people who consider themselves anti-SJWs and GGs. If they're truly good, they'll show it when offered a hand.

Well you'd be offering a hand to this ...
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/371918937275630653/

these are the kind of opinions that come along with the whole discussion...The thought of giving in to that makes me sick!
    There are people refuting her in the thread. Besides, Beamdog wouldn't be giving into the poster: If the character were re-written, the poster would still want no trans people in the game. The trans person would still be in the game.
    Exactly. Thank you again @typo_tilly for being sane and rational.

There's always going to be extremists out there. The worst thing you can do is lump everyone else in with the extremists, and this is something that has happened constantly, and it needs to stop.
  • mikklemikkle Member Posts: 39
    I think it was super reductive to even implement such thing into the expansion. It just seems very unnecessary. I am a huge supporter of LGBT rights and I belong to this society, however I kind of dislike how every modern rpg game must implement some of that stuff in the story.
    The greatness of BG lies in how ancient the story feels, yet how you can apply it to modern problems. I think Beamdog kind of can't get it. Like their EE NPC feel so much more modern than the rest, they couldn't even make portraits suiting the rest, not even talking about the dialogues.
    Again, I haven't played the expansion yet, but from the trailer it seems very linear, which is not what BG is supposed to be. Is it like icewind dale or more like original BG?
  • prem0nitionprem0nition Member Posts: 65

Let's all agree that we love Baldur's Gate and we all want the best from the series moving forwards.

This, very much this.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    Autocrat said:

Thank you for the well-thought out post, Tilly. It's good to see cool heads amidst all this drama.

On a related note, can we please get rid of Purudaya and Shawne? They have been incredibly annoying about this whole issue, and I frankly never want to read another one of their hateful posts again.

Lol, don't worry – I've got a meeting to get off to. I won't be able to terrorize you for a while :smile:
  • UltraB00nUltraB00n Member Posts: 37

I think Mizhena should be fully replaced by a new character. I think it should be a male priest of cyric called Insecuritus who once saw a trans person in his village and decided to burn it to the ground because seeing that one trans person convinced him that there was a vast conspiracy taking place where a nefarious group were trying to brainwash the masses with their political agenda.

I would like to propose a different character. A stumpy, blue-haired female named Victimoria who was indoctrinated by the local dried-up hag about the systemic oppression of marginalized groups in Faerûn and now has made it her goal in life to point it all out to hapless adventurers, and if they don't like it, well, that's just too bad.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91

We don't give vocal minorities the ability to dictate the limits of expression. That is a very
    very
    very
    very bad idea.

THIS THIS THIS.

The staggering irony of it all is that is exactly what they claim they are trying to do: stop the vocal minorities having undue influence over things all the while being an extreme and vocal minority who are try.... trying to.... Oh. Oh dear. There goes a few more braincells from trying to comprehend such staggering hypocrisy.
  • silveralensilveralen Member Posts: 15

Does anyone else have thoughts about solutions?

My estimate is that Beamdog didn't think this would blow up like it did. They aren't malicious hateful people who are trying to put social agenda down your throat. They're good people. Let's all be more reasonable and respectful with them. If we all keep slinging mud, nothing will get better.

Just let things cool down and expand the character a bit. People that legitimately felt the character was forced will be happy with a better more integrated character, and those arguing it in bad faith struggle to hold onto their position. Keeps from angering the people who were happy about the character, and alleviates any issues from those that did feel disrespected by the portrayal. By far the safest option, though their is the risk that any change, even one that adds to the character, will be seen as "caving".
  • JoJoJoJo Member Posts: 18
    I wholeheartedly agree with the OP on this. Though I don't see 4 happening ever.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2016
    I think that the best solution to crisis is to go to Nashkel mines and then...
  • supytalpssupytalps Member Posts: 24
    I'd be willing to work with someone who was interested in modding in a new trans character if anyone was up for it.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    splatypus said:

I'd be willing to work with someone who was interested in modding in a new trans character if anyone was up for it.

It's probably a more viable idea that you'd think, plenty of companion mods out there allready. Have a look over in the modding forums.
  • BillBurnsworthBillBurnsworth Member Posts: 5

1. GamerGaters have never, ever, in the history of their existence as a "movement", done anything to promote better representation of minorities in games. They don't organize workshops, they don't give talks at gay gamer events, they don't support Kickstarters for games like Read Only Memories or Sunset or Undertale (because those games are, of course, "Tumblr SJW Games"). This group is not interested in minorities beyond using them to promote their own positions.

Gamergate was banned from Gaymer X before they could host a panel and they've been kicked out of every con where they could do such a thing. Even if they're not discussing gamergate related things. By people like you.

2. It is absolutely possible to make Mizhena a deeper, more compelling character if that's something Amber and Andrew want to pursue. These changes should not be made as concessions to Internet bullies, especially since they'll just find another way to complain about her anyway.

Nah.

3. I didn't think openly asking for reviews was a good idea, and said so. That said, it's done. And the counterbalance will be showing up as soon as people finish playing SoD anyway.

Nah.

4. GamerGate is not interested in representation of minorities. Their narrative here, which has popped up again and again, is that Amber Scott is a SJW who pushed her agenda onto a classic game. Not a word about Andrew Foley - you know, the other lead writer - not a word about Chris Avellone's role as consultant, not a word about Phil Daigle who was promoting SoD right alongside Amber in those Twitch streams. But somehow it's all Amber's fault. Beamdog absolutely does not need to appease anyone who holds that view.

We have no idea what Avellone or Andrew or Daigle, but Amber is the one going "ME FEMINIST. ME MAKE SURE MUCH DIVERSITY. YOU NO LIKE? DEAL WITH IT. :D"

They are dealing with it. You want to piss all over a 16 year old game to promote an agenda and intentionally piss people off? Congratulations, it is going to hurt your bottom line.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707

Does anyone else have thoughts about solutions?

1. Hope that the storm of fake negative reviews and down-votes blows over soon, and that over time real reviews balance out the score.
    2. Try to get more critic reviews, because if the average critic score and average audience score differ significantly, prospective buyers will take a closer look on who to trust.
    3. Don't change the controversial parts of the game now, that would just embolden the trolls.
    4. In future games, continue to include minority characters and even explore political themes. But avoid the temptation to needlessly antagonizing people just to score points in an ongoing Internet flamewar, i.e.:
      • Think twice before including a pop culture reference that may be interpreted as a mean-spirited jab against a subset of gamers.
      • When you add depth to a previously flat character (which is great!), don't go selling it as "replacing the sexist/problematic characters of the original game, deal with it!" in interviews (which is just a terrible PR move, especially if the characters are really still the same just with more depth, and if you'd just say that, no-one would take issue with it).
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473

Let's all agree that we love Baldur's Gate and we all want the best from the series moving forwards.

Swords! Not words!

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    No...Do not change anything.
This discussion has been closed.