Skip to content

Wizard Slayer Kit

CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I never really took a long look at it because it's rather restrictive what with the No Magic Items bit. I was looking some other things up and got to reading about it.

How does it work in practice? How many levels do you need to invest in it if you wanted to dual class? The biggest increase in Magic Resistance is at level one after all.

How does Weapon Speed affect your Number of Attacks? If you made a character more based on just stabbing a mage over and over to neutralize him, would you be better off dual wielding daggers? What about the Crossbow of Speed? I was thinking of dual classing to a rogue. Make a Mager Killer Assassin sort. Just sneak in and stab the heck out of him.

Also, the poison dagger in BG is supposed to be pretty good at stopping mages on it's own, keeping him from casting with poison damage.

Sorry I'm getting kind of ramble-y.

Comments

• kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2012
    The Wizard Slayer kit needs to be revised, there have been a few threads created about this particular issue. In the kits current state, it's fairly impractical to use in comparison to other classes e.g Inquisitor for example or thief utilizing poison like you suggested.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4005/an-in-depth-look-at-the-wizard-slayer-kit-suggestions-to-improve-it-for-phils-reddit-request#latest

• IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    edited September 2012
    Weapon speed doesn't effect your number of attacks, just whether or not you can land the first blow in combat (initiative). Which is important for thieves (strike & bolt). I would dual at level 13 if you're wanting to benefit from the max number of attacks per round. Which is well after BG1 and well into BG2.

If however you're wanting to dual in BG1 I would advise doing it at level 7. At which level you gain another 1/2 an attack and can still surpass the fighter levels and regain their abilities (unsure what the new cap will be but in standard BG dualing a fighter at level 7 you could become a level 8 thief).

As a wizard slayer/thief in BG1 however you will never gain use any item to counter their class restrictions. The dagger of venom is a fantastic item for mage destruction. Wizard Slayer is probably the worst class to dual, a much better (& more cheese) fighter/thief dual is Kensai/Thief.

The natural magic resistance isn't worth not being able to use magic items - the cloak of balduran yeilds 25% resistance in BG1 and in BG2 there are also items that provide magic resistance.

When I've played a fighter/thief in the past I've had a elven fighter/thief multi. They're great and don't have the uphill waiting period that duals have/can use skills from both classes through-out the BG series.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Interesting. Thanks for the quick reply guys.
    Oooooh~ Now that is interesting.
  • GruloGrulo Member Posts: 109
    Keep in mind this only works in ToB. So yeah, Wizard Slayer in BG:EE could probly be hard to play. But if you are planning to continue playing that character into BG2:EE then this is definitely a class to keep in mind.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Grulo:

I had always thought about trying that, but at the end of the day, it'd take 1.32mil XP just to regain your fighter levels, and then you'd need a grand total of 4.61 million before you'd finally hit HLAs.

That's just craziness. And for what? Some magic resist and applying spell failure on hit? I just don't see it.

I guess you'd be pretty bad-ass with Carsomyr on that guy, though. Dispell on hit to get rid of buffs and then spell failure rates mean you'd shred the high level dragon encounters and possibly the final battle. Just not seeing it as worthwhile, though. So many other builds can do all of that and not be total suck for 3/4ths of the entire saga.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    That is some cheese I'd love to peruse one day. I lack the patience for dual classing though.

@Grulo:

I had always thought about trying that, but at the end of the day, it'd take 1.32mil XP just to regain your fighter levels, and then you'd need a grand total of 4.61 million before you'd finally hit HLAs.

That's just craziness. And for what? Some magic resist and applying spell failure on hit? I just don't see it.

I guess you'd be pretty bad-ass with Carsomyr on that guy, though. Dispell on hit to get rid of buffs and then spell failure rates mean you'd shred the high level dragon encounters and possibly the final battle. Just not seeing it as worthwhile, though. So many other builds can do all of that and not be total suck for 3/4ths of the entire saga.

Well, i never said it was the best build. But it is certainly a very powerful combo for ToB and late SoA. You will suffer a little during early SoA though... my point is, Wizard Slayers are not as bad as people think.

My suggestion would be to only try this (dual) class if you have experience with the game. Definitely not for newbies. Beginners are better off with a Berserker/Cleric or the more popular Kensai/Mage.

That is some cheese I'd love to peruse one day. I lack the patience for dual classing though.

If you have a NPC that you want to dual class into a mage then you can level up really, really fast. I usually dual class Sarevok into a Mage and then remove everyone from my party except him. Then i give him every single scroll i can find/buy and make him copy them in his spellbook. Just by learning spells your experience will fly.

You can do this in BG1 too by dual-classing Imoen into a mage (which most people do anyway).

It is even easier if it is your main character the one who is dualing into a mage. Remove EVERYONE from the party and get all the xp for yourself.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    Using the deck of many things (without a party) is a sure-fire way to gain levels. I thought Carsomyrs magic resistance didn't stack, or was that fixed in a later patch?

I've often used the Carsomyr as my Elven fighter/thief as well against magical/enemies that can't be backstabed.

Aside from this wizard slayer/thief dual I see no reason to dual past level 13. Level 15 will be a difficult uphill period to surpass. Kensai/Thief allows combat bonuses against all foes, rather than spellcasters alone & coupled with UAI yeilds another -2 AC. If you're concerned about resisting magic - the cloak of mirroring takes care of most magic attacks directed at you.

I've though about a wizard slayer/thief before but in my view the bad outweighs the good.

If only your second class could be a kit. Fighter/Assassin or Fighter/Swashbuckler.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Isair: You have no idea how badly I've wanted to do a fighter/assassin. It would be so flippin' broken. Isn't there a threshold for dual-classing where you can still gain HLAs of your first kit? I don't recall. I want to say if you were high enough into it that a multi-classed guy would be gaining HLAs (it's depending on total XP, not exact level), you can still pick them from your first class. I vaguely recall Anomen being able to pick up improved whirlwind but I don't remember because it's been so long.

Imagine fighter/assassin with Greater Deathblow. Guaranteed max damage on x7 backstab with Staff of the Ram +6. Glglglglglglg (read that as Homer's gurgling when he likes something.)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    In all the years I played this game I never once tried this kit. It just didn't seem to have enough features to recommend it over against the other Fighter kit options. And as far as I can see, it's smarter simply to have a Fighter (kit), Paladin (kit), Barbarian, Ranger, etc., simply equip Bala's Axe.

The discussion thread on how to improve the kit referenced above is an interesting read. I'm honestly not sure what the best answer is...

I do think, though, that if the concept for the kit is a person who eschews magic to begin with, that to later dual class to Thief and eventually acquire the 'Use Any Item' HLA makes no logical sense.

I prefer the solution that the kit be made more effective in some way, and that there be a restriction against dual-classing it. Or if they improve the kit and still allow dual-classing it, then remove the UAI HLA from the Thief class in that particular combination.

• GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
    edited September 2012
    -
    Post edited by Gloomfrost on
    Okie Dokie, so how would you use it Gloom? There are enough spell slingers I can certainly believe it to be very useful, but would you care to expound upon your opinion?
    edited September 2012
    Re: Bala's Axe, etc. I played Tutu and BGT almost as soon as they were available (although I haven't played the game at all now for many years). I almost can't remember what vanilla BG1 is like anymore. I'm so used to playing BG1 with kits that I forgot that that item isn't in BG2.

Anyway, in BG2 the higher level spell selection is usually sufficient for me to handle enemy wizards with my mage(s). And when in berserker rage, Berserkers and Barbarians are immune to mind-altering spells. Point being that one doesn't need Bala's Axe by BG2. Not that one needs it to defeat mages handily in BG1, either.

But all that said, I'll be honest that I have never played a Wizard Slayer, so I have no actual idea how good they are or aren't. I could see how they may be underestimated, at least, if not the best class/kit. (If they were the best I'm sure players would have discovered that long ago!)

Nevertheless, this discussion makes me want to try to get the most out of one, though!
    edited September 2012
    -
    @Gloomfrost Cool, looking forward to learning something!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Gloomfrost really looking forward to it. I've wanted Elven and Dwarven Wizard Slayers for awhile but can't bring myself to play em.
    edited September 2012
    -
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Spell failure on hit is awersome IF you can hit the enemy, but besides it the class is weak.

Not to be able to use magical items in BG (besides weapon) is a HUGE PENALITY, the fact that you can dual to thief doesn't justify this problem, the class itself is problematic.

The magic resistance that this class gains is nothing in comparission to monks, and i should truly ask: WHY?

The only thing i liked in this class was the NPC based on it, Kindred, this NPC is awersome but use him and valen on the same game play and you gonna kill probally 50% of all NPCs you interact during the game.

• DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    @Gloomfrost Sorry but vanilla's WS is ridiculously underpowered. I can easily rebut almost everything you said. :(

1.) Spell Failure on Hit - Not just for spell casters but for any opponents that activates an ability!

Anything i mean ANYTHING that can be hit (currently only in melee) and does not display "weapon has no effect" will be affected,

regardless of any protections (stone skin, mirror image, improved mantle, protection from magical weapons, ETC.)

Hit 10 times and you are guaranteed 99% that whatever your opponents tries to cast will fail.

If my warrior can hit an opponent 10 times I suppose the target is already dead, especially if we're talking of a spellcaster.

IMPORTANT: this ability DOES not bypass Protection from Magical Weapons and similar spells as you erroneously imply.

Spell Disruption per se it's not that bad, mainly because it bypasses Stoneskin, but it's only a decent ability, not a game-changing ability. Inquisitor's Dispel Magic is a game-changing ability.

Any opponents casting something like Rage, Kai, Enrage, Arcane or Divine magic, special abilities ALL of it 99% chance to fail.

Well, I assume Barbarians and Berserkers enrage at the start of the fight, before you hit them, not after you hit them.

Afair Spell Disruption does not affect divine spellcasters.

2.) Magic Resistance

A SINGLE class Level 40 Wizard Slayer will have innately 84 % Magic resistance. With items you can obtain relatively early in BG2 that CAN be worn you can surpass 100%MR.

You're highly overstimating the value and effectiveness of magic resistance, probably because of vanilla's AI being quite dumb.

A Level 20 WS has 40% magic resistance, and any mid lvl mage can almost completely remove that with a single 5th lvl Lower Resistance spell.

Magic resistance per se would be great, but only if the WS had a wat to protect it from LR, it has not.
    edited September 2012
    I can see how this might be a good class to solo.

But I love spellcasting. And I can't quite square having mages in the party when I have a PC who hates wizards!

I have never tried playing a party without a wizard... So I think at some point I may very well try building a party around a Wizard Slayer using just warrior class NPCs and/or custom PCs to round out the party.
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    Lemernis said:

I can see how this might be a good class to solo.

But I love spellcasting. And I can't quite square having mages in the party when I have a PC who hates wizards!

I have never tried playing a party without a wizard... So I think at some point I may very well try building a party around a Wizard Slayer using just warrior class NPCs and/or custom PCs to round out the party.

I justified it to myself using Quayle who was obviously lying about his extra clerical powers that can do so many wondrous things like cast magic missile. Perhaps Aerie picked up his penchant for boastfully convenient lies.
    edited September 2012
    @Demivrgvs

How do you think a WS with Wizard Slayer Rebalancing would perform in, say, in a game with SCS II installed? (Or SCS for BG:EE for that matter.) Because that's how I'll be playing, I'm sure, after the first vanilla run when each EE is released.

Post edited by Lemernis on
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    If I can be so bold, almost any class is fantastic if you dual to thief and reach level 38.

e.g.: Kensai/Thief; Berserker/Thief and so on.

There is nothing a Wizard Slayer does that another dual-class fighter can't do just as well (or better).

Balancing the class based on one HLA in Throne of Bhaal won't help it in BG:EE or BG2:EE (which is like 20-30h of gameplay). Wizard slayer is a viable kit but not a great one. It's probably the first kit people want changed (next to Shapeshifter and Beastmaster).
    edited September 2012
    -

• SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    Spell disruption can be achieved by miscast magic, hitting a caster or by using an item such as Bala's Axe. Spell disruption doesn't require a character to be a Wizard Slayer, but cumulative spell failure does, if that is your point. Personally I prefer killing the caster outright. As @kamuizin points out, 99% of the casters in the game are killed with a small amount of hits, so the cumulative spell failure is not relevant.
    edited September 2012
    -

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    @Gloomfrost, i didn't state the warrior 10 hits comment, this is an statement from @Demivrgvs, not mine.

And you're wrong about MR between Wizard Slayer's and monks, monks achieve 100% Mres faster than Wizard Slayers. Care to explain me why a WS would get 100%Mres faster?