Skip to content

What to call the controversy?

FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
I love the humour on this forum, and even in this testy week it's been shining through. I love me some good puns.

My best shot at proper attribution, please correct me if i'm wrong. The Irony Crisis is due to @woowoovoodoo. The Seige of Beamdog, @minsc4prez. The Time of Troubles, @Diogenes42. The Battle of Minsc, mine. Baldur's Gate Gate, (?).
  1. What to call the controversy?40 votes
    1. The Irony Crisis
      27.50%
    2. Baldur's Gate Gate
      27.50%
    3. The Siege of Beamdog
      10.00%
    4. The Time of Troubles
      12.50%
    5. The Battle of Minsc
        0.00%
    6. Other
      22.50%

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    There was Baldur's GamerGate
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Hmm, maybe should have opened this as a discussion first to get all the options.... oh well.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    BaldurGate: Shadows of Damn
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Children of Bhaal

Since the unnecessary chaos follows their wake.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    The Dark Souls of Fantasy RPG Controversies
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I stand by #baldursghazi.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    edited April 2016
    Considering the focus of some threads, I fear it will boil down to Ambergate.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Reminds me of this
    https://youtu.be/vB9JgxhXW5w
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    A sad time, when bitter sorrows are left for mortal men, and there is no help against evil.

Honestly, most of the eschatological material from Hesiod's works and days apply pretty well to our time (then again, that's the point of everything eschatologic I guess), so maybe our time is just at an end and good ol Zeus will tire of us and create some sixth race of men. Can't make them worse than we are, at least.
    Chnapy said:

A sad time, when bitter sorrows are left for mortal men, and there is no help against evil.

Honestly, most of the eschatological material from Hesiod's works and days apply pretty well to our time (then again, that's the point of everything eschatologic I guess), so maybe our time is just at an end and good ol Zeus will tire of us and create some sixth race of men. Can't make them worse than we are, at least.

So... other?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited April 2016
    I'm kinda partial to Flamergate considering how quickly threads on the topic devolved into plain antagonism from both sides. However, this is a good, descriptive term.

I think Irony Crisis is the most clever.

I'm kinda partial to Flamergate considering how quickly threads on the topic devolved into plain antagonism from both sides. However, this is a good, descriptive term.

I think Irony Crisis is the most clever.

Yeah, it devolved quickly. Flamergate sounds good. Or maybe we could get @Moonheart over here to suggest "Children of Flaming"
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I didn't want to bump this, but since it's already bumped, I actually prefer "Baldur's Gamergate", as a bit more concise and elegant than the "Baldur's Gate Gate" that I voted for.

"Irony Crisis" is clever, but I don't think it's clear to most readers what's ironic about it. At least, it's not clear to me how the unfortunate controversy qualifies as "ironic".
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

"Irony Crisis" is clever, but I don't think it's clear to most readers what's ironic about it. At least, it's not clear to me how the unfortunate controversy qualifies as "ironic".

That's because most people get their definition of irony from Alanis Morissette.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    BillyYank said:

That's because most people get their definition of irony from Alanis Morissette.
    How ironic.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    We need to move on from this.

We need to "Make Faerun Great Again."

Sarevok 2016
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547

Sarevok 2016

I know just the fellow friend.

You should really just edit all of his stat rolls to 1, it just doesn't seem fitting otherwise...
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

Sarevok 2016

I know just the fellow friend.

You should really just edit all of his stat rolls to 1, it just doesn't seem fitting otherwise...
    I don't know I feel like he oughta have 18/00 Strength just to carry all of his sins
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2016
    Mizhena: NPC of the Year.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Trannies Gate: Shadows of I'm Confused.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Trannies Gate: Shadows of I'm Confused.

A review at GOG suggested, "Trannys Gate: The Siege of Bumdong."
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    "These are not real #controversies"
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Please people, this is a PG 13 Forum. Mind your language.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to read the site rules.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I don't actually want to bump this, but this is relevant for reasons: