Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2013
    I wanna thank @Isandir for making me an awesome unique custom portrait for my Kensai for my next full BG EE to BG 2EE LP playthrough. I had real trouble finding a satisfactory Asian looking warrior BG style picture, with no armour (cos Kensai), and didn't look clearly like a Ninja or Samurai wanna-be.

Now, given that Charname seems to have stolen Vihane's robes, he's gonna steer well clear of the half-elf until he gets his Kensai powers back after Dual-classing Mage in BG 2...

Speaking of Vihane, is DSotSC a BG 1 mod? I googled it and found a very old website that does not appear updated, and showcases very different art style to Isandir's wonderful work.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

is DSotSC a BG 1 mod? I googled it and found a very old website that does not appear updated, and showcases very different art style to Isandir's wonderful work.

@Heindrich1988

AFAIK DSotSC was the first mod ever for BG1. So, yeah it's quite old, but it is currently being reworked not just to update it to the EE, but also to update it to current modding standards.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Foggy posted: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/421912/#Comment_421912
    *drools* I think I just had an armor-gasm... so pretty... *drools*
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    @Meepichi Great portrait, would you care to post it in a 210x330 size, I would like to start a Meepichi's portraits collection, keep posting!
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2013
    Thanks! oops I thought I had... guess not! Not sure I'm worthy of any collection yet tho.

edit 1:Just realized I messed up with the armor.. gonna have to work on it some more to get it on right while showing more of it... there I think I fixed it up some what. (sheesh tons of screwed up misposts)

edit 2:Crud still need to work on the armor some more..this is what happens when i rush something.

edit 3: The armor still doesnt fit perfectly but I got it as close as I could using the liquify tool. Probably shoulda just used a different armor but I'm stubborn. :P
    Post edited by Meepichi on
    edited December 2013
    Isandir said:

Omg I just had a look at the earlier work on this thread from before I joined this forum and happened upon this... Turns out I've been using an @Isandir portrait long before I knew about his work! This has been my version of Jaheira ever since I started playing this game. I think it does her 15 Charisma more justice and still captures a certain aloofness and confidence in her personality.

I regret some of the custom portraits I used in the past for popular NPCs now that I've grown to know and love my companions in BG2, and better appreciate the original portraits and how they showcased the NPCs' personalities. However, in the case of Jaheira, I still prefer the above to her default.

By the way, not that your work was ever bad, but your recent stuff is a big improvement on your stuff from just a year earlier. Really impressive progress... kinda makes me wanna learn how it's done myself...

@belgarathmth Oh yeah, mystery solved! Now we know the exact origin of that picture!
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Ehh does anybody know how to change NPC portaits? I know you have to rename them to like "NeeraM" or something like that but I forgot the exact formula
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    @heindrich1988

I assume since you don't need L, M and S sized portraits anymore that you use the M at the end of the BMP file name
    edited December 2013

@heindrich1988

I assume since you don't need L, M and S sized portraits anymore that you use the M at the end of the BMP file name

@EnterHaerDalis
    You still need to resize the images into the dimensions described in that thread I linked you to. The naming convention just allows the game to recognise which picture is appropriate to use for which part of the game. If you use a large picture, and simply add an 'S' to the end, the game will display an incomplete image ingame, like just the top-left corner of it.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That's not how it works on my game. I just checked.
    @jackjack
    Really? you just use 1 pic and the naming automatically sizes them appropriately in the game?

Was this an improvement made for v1.2, or did I resize all my pics unnecessarily??
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I just found out myself. I just saw 3 copies of the large size portrait, one ending in L, M, & S. The only exception is when I use a closer crop for the small portrait.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    I've also been experimenting with a few ways to further mimic the BG1 style, and I think I've finally gotten almost to the point of being able to replicate it. The image I just posted was a good candidate due to the natural dark shadowing:

imageimage

Ultimately, though, I think I still like to make portraits without the dark highlights...
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2013
    @Isandir: I like both versions of that "ad" portrait, but to be completely honest, I actually think I prefer without the "dark highlights", simply because it feels like an UPDATED version of BG portraits :) Sometimes keeping VERY close to the original portraits is enough :)
    Even though, I must say, I would like to see you implement "hands" and weapons more ;) I think the original BG portrait creator somehow added those effects without it looking "cramped" or odd, even though the portraits being quite small.
    Adding that "effect" to some of your future portraits would be awesome :) (Not all of course, but changing it up some).

EDIT: For example, its pretty neat when you see them holding a pouch or a musical instrument, that way clearing the path for an obvious class (a book or a scroll, for example, would instantly scream mage).
    edited December 2013
    @Isandir A mix of BG1 and 2 art is what works best for a PC, this is why what you've been doing with your revised and new portraits is spot on: the right pose where the character appears more dynamic and means business a la BG1, with more lighting and close up BG2 style.

This kind of portraits here is why I really hope you keep your current unique style, sometimes building the character around a portrait, other times finding the portrait that gives life to a character we have in mind.
    a fighter there can be no doubt, the right angle and lighting, and the superb background make this my favorite portrait, a new playthrough just to use it.
    The addition of the sword and your choice of armor make this a perfect illustration for a paladin, Conchobhair portrait is part of a mod, but works wonders for Gorion's Ward too.
    Post edited by Foggy on
    @Foggy

When I said I was delighted to have a unique portrait, I mean it's a portrait based off myself, and not some random celebrity. Of course I do not object if anyone wishes to use the portrait, I am just grateful Isandir has helped make my BG experience all the more immersive and personal, and have no desire or right to demand exclusivity for his work!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Are you no longer bored while waiting for patches Syntia? :O
    edited December 2013
    @Heindrich1988 I know it's based on your own portrait, like the ones Isandir made for Aedan, Metallomann and others on these forums. BTW a portrait made based on your own image makes it yours unless you give permission to share, which you just did :)

Should have made a TL;DR version of my previous post to @Isandir: I'm a huge fan, keep your own unique style that takes the best from both BG1 and BG2. Experimenting with dark highlights and shadowing seems IMHO forced and less natural than the perfection you achieved in your revisited and new portraits.
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    @Isandir With the dark highlights, you would need a little bit of practice as they seem forced, yet the rest is absolutely amazing. (Here I am judging someone's art when I can draw stick figures... well, no. I once drew an accurate Roman legionary, but that took multiple hours of work) Keep on making those portraits. :D
    Post edited by GemHound on
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    I finished up another pic this morning. Was going for a glowing sword affect as someone mentioned wanting some weapons in the pics. Would look better for a full body shot but never liked those kind of pics with Baldur's Gate.
    bbg2.bmp 203.7K
    edited December 2013
    nevermind/
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    @Foggy ? How does commenting about myself and what I thought about the art, have anything to do with you?
    Foggy said:

BTW a portrait made based on your own image makes it yours unless you give permission to share, which you just did :)

@Foggy
    Oh, I guess I need to brush up on my legal knowledge... lol. Anyways, though I cannot imagine why anyone would wanna look like me, I don't mind if anyone wanted to use that pic as a Shou 'Kensai'.

Incidentally, I agree with you (if I understood you correctly) that Isandir's style both fits in the BG art style, but yet somehow surpasses it. For example the Conchobhair portrait is so awesome I am tempted to play a Paladin just so I use it some time! The thing that initially put me off BG default portraits was their comic 'quirkiness', which seemed out of place given the relatively dark story that unfolds as soon as you leave Candlekeep.
    @GemHound Simple misunderstanding due to my stupid english skills, I'm really sorry about that. Been a long day, please don't mind me none. Enjoy the thread madam/sir.
    @Heindrich1988 My thoughts exacly mate. Isandir art surpasses BG already, no need to use BG1 style since he took the best from BG1 and BG2.
    @Meepichi Marked improvement in the last days, keep them goodies coming!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Caught up on 400 unread posts/26 pages. Sooo much good stuff here.
    GemHound said:

I can draw stick figures... well, no. I once drew an accurate Roman legionary

Can you do Roman stick figures too?
This discussion has been closed.