Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @Silverstar Of course I can do Roman Stick Figures. I don't have near enough patience to draw like that again. It was also for something really stupid, a Title Page for Grade 9 history. :)
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the kind comments and likes! I'm slowly but surely making progress. :)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2013
    @meagloth
    Sorry I gave u a like before I saw the 'I don't want likes'. :P

I just adore lovely face and really like Clara on Dr Who. Anyways... I dunno anything about art, although I do have some vague ambition to learn... but my first impressions:

The face is largely fine as is... Perhaps a little more use of shadowing to bring out her features?

The weakness in the picture is in the hair, which looks neither photo-realistic nor 'painty', and kinda like pencil drawing... (sorry I dunno technical terms). Also her armour looks more like a photograph than digital art. (Oh yeah... sorry I have no idea how to improve anything I criticised... yeah I'll be quiet now. lol)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited December 2013

@meagloth
    Sorry I gave u a like before I saw the 'I don't want likes'.

I forgive you :P, and yes, there are some hair issues. (Largely because my hair drawing technique consists entirely of drawing squiggly lines with a brush that says "hair" somewhere in the name.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    @Foggy & @Greenpakto: No worries. I have absolutely no intention of shifting over fully to the BG1 style. It was more an experiment to see if I could pull it off at this point. I personally prefer not using it.
  • doshidaniadoshidania Member Posts: 46
    Don't think I've seen this Rasaad one on here so I thought I might share.
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    You made this one too, back in the days

I really love it, I use it for my warrior/thief halfelf bhaalspawn, but I'm curious to see what you'd do with it now :p
  • Eck4343Eck4343 Member Posts: 38
    Syntia13 said:

So, I made new Dynaheir.

Is that M.I.A.?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    It's Eva Mendez.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526

I was wondering.

I have a picture that I really like for my "main" charname. A male Elven Sorc pic that I found on deviantart (don't remember who it was by) but I don't have the original anymore (external HD died on me) but it doesn't really have a very good background. Or one at all really.
    It's just a sorta brown bleugh thats just there.

Would it be really gross, or inappropriate, to ask if any of you awesomely talented arty people could give the portrait an appropriate baldur's gate inspired background?
    The portrait itself fits in BG quite well I think but it looks odd without the background...

No one replied to my earlier post. lol.

So I am uh quoting myself to see if anyone does?
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    edited December 2013
    @Sanctifer: How is this? It may be a bit dark on your screen depending on how your monitor is calibrated, but it looks good in the game. If you'd like a version with a closer crop to better match the default portraits, just let me know. I can also change the shirt color, eye color or background based on your preference. (Edit: When viewed in the forum, the glove didn't blend well. The more recent version is below.)

I'm also ashamed to admit I still haven't tried the game since that time...

@SharGuidesMyHand: I've been fiddling around with the image you had posted of the woman with facial tattoos, but so far the result has been terrible by my standards. If I can come up with a decent portrait, I'll definitely post it.

@fitscotgaymer: Is it a picture you can post here, or are there copyright concerns? What type of background did you have in mind (forest, city, mountains, etc.)?

@Foggy: If you like the fighter portrait with the black armor, check my site for a slightly updated version (http://isandir.com/deshad). I adjusted the shadows on his face, as there was a conspicuously bright spot on his right cheek. Do you want him to a have a weapon of any sort for your playthrough?
    Post edited by Isandir on
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    edited December 2013
    @Isandir You are totally badass with portraits no doubt, but I'm thinking maybe they would be even better if you enhanced the size of the hands more? Seeing as they are closer to the "camera" than the character is, they should appear bigger than they currently are. With my (amateur) eyes I always feel like the hands on portraits get diminished for some reason and it disturbs the rest of the image in my opinion.

And if you aren't interested in critique just let me know and I'll delete the post :) Hope there's no hard feelings. As I said, you totally rock.
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    @Isandir

Oh gods, you're good !
    \o/

I don't want you to change any color or whatever, it's your vision !
    (if for some weird reasons I'd want him to have blue hair in my game, I'll alter it just for that, but you shouldn't change anything to your version )

That said, you're right, and JosefineS too, there's definitely something weird with his hand
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2013
    @Isandir: Thank you very much for the awesome portraits, and for taking the time to grant requests and listen to our suggestions.

I grabbed the updated Deshad portrait from your site for my current fighter. It just screams bhaalspawn fighter: boss level achieved.
    As for the addition of a weapon: When playing fighters, I switch proficiencies frequently, and the absence of weapons in the portrait allows multiple playthroughs, since it can fit pretty much any melee character. I'll still join several forum members who would love to see more portraits with added weapons, I'd go for a 2-handed sword for Deshad but the longsword appears as the most versatile weapon choice, if you think it fits the original concept you had in mind making the portrait, this already superior art might become a true classic.

Edit: That Vaas portrait is really great, Far Cry 3 not so much. Great choice since the portrait fits BG way better, looking forward to the update.
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited December 2013
    @Isandir

Yeah sure. I don't think copyright is a concern, just the potential gross of using someone elses picture lol.

I don't plan to distrubute it or claim it as my own so I should be ok.

For the background I am unsure. He is a Chaotic Good Sorc, he misses Gorion and Candlekeep very much, his favourite spell is fireball, and hes got a slight temper though he is generally kind hearted. So I think maybe Candlekeep or something arcane related?
  • vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind.
    Post edited by vierrae on
    @Foggy yeah, anyway I'm not satisfied with the result. The shadows are all messed up, I should have mirrowed them in the robes part. Stil trying to do it with no success. I totally suck at painting.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Foggy said:

I see you already resized Neera's head compared to your previous portrait, still it appears too big when cropping to 210x330 here

Zooming the head further away at 80% or so would probably be best to standardize the portrait to BG2 dimensions.

You mean quite like I did in my original work with the Neera portrait? ;-)
    edited December 2013
    Okey doke here's another one based off one of my Japanese idol faves:
  • doshidaniadoshidania Member Posts: 46
    I think an issue with that neera one (which is really pretty) is that she's a little disproportionate? I dunno.
    I took a wak at messing with it.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Astafas said:

Well.. getting back after not playing for a while.. using custom portraits for all the old NPCs... but don't have one for Branwen and she's kinda sticking out a bit here. Anyone have any suggestions? The pic is to give an idea of the type of portraits I go for.

How about these:

Does look good, expression suits her... now to remember how to make that the default portrait....
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Well, would you look at this, it was shared as a writing prompt over on a Tumblr blog I follow (with the proper credit, of course)...

By Zigbone
    edited December 2013
    An elf or half-elf based off of a LiYu Fei pic:
    @doshidania nice job! Could you also fix the shadows on her robe? Would be perfect.
  • Smoke_JaguarSmoke_Jaguar Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2013

Hello comrades. I was wondering if, in their spare time, maybe someone can turn this picture of Melissa Clarke into a Baldur's Gate style portrait? I was hoping for a Thief/Assassin themed one.

Sadly my photomanip/artistic skills are not anywhere close to the level of some of the men and women on this forum.

http://i.imgur.com/dwTAf3O.jpg

Thanks to anyone than can help me out.

Posted this a couple weeks ago, just bumping to see if anyone was bored and wanted to give it a shot.
    Post edited by Smoke_Jaguar on
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Silverstar

Are you no longer bored while waiting for patches Syntia? :O

Well, technically I could have changed the title to "... bored waiting until the journal gets fixed", but while I am indeed waiting for that, I'm no longer bored, having acquired several new time-consuming RL issues and computer-based obsessions, so ... the patches will come when they will, I'm good till then. ;)

This discussion has been closed.