Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @marceror, that would depend on the lightening/color tone (also an easy adjustment with EEKeeper, if you feel like it - I've done no such changes myself). For me, she's the perfect Hexxat since a couple of weeks. :-)
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @Kamigoroshi, if you place thin shadows alongside the edges of the armor, it will look less "a-layer-above". It's a nice portrait though! :-)
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Dee said:

I'd like to quickly remind everyone that there are site rules about the use of copyrighted images in the creation of portraits: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19418/a-quick-note-about-copyright

This isn't the modding forum, but the same rules apply. Modifying copyrighted images for use as portraits (and in particular the works of Enkida and AfroShero, who have explicitly prohibited it) is not allowed. No one's in trouble (yet), but please be mindful, and respect the work of the artists.

Are there any issues with us using these portraits in our own games? I hope not, as publishing such great BG portraits and then telling people not to use them is a bit like letting a recovering alcoholic go swimming in a pool of their preferred alcoholic beverage and expecting them not to get drunk.
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2013
    marceror said:

Dee said:

I'd like to quickly remind everyone that there are site rules about the use of copyrighted images in the creation of portraits: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19418/a-quick-note-about-copyright

This isn't the modding forum, but the same rules apply. Modifying copyrighted images for use as portraits (and in particular the works of Enkida and AfroShero, who have explicitly prohibited it) is not allowed. No one's in trouble (yet), but please be mindful, and respect the work of the artists.

Are there any issues with us using these portraits in our own games? I hope not, as publishing such great BG portraits and then telling people not to use them is a bit like letting a recovering alcoholic go swimming in a pool of their preferred alcoholic beverage and expecting them not to get drunk.
    U can post and use their original portraits. But u need to credit the artist.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Kazi said:

Isandir said:

Next revision...my avatar! Before and after:

imageimage

Any chances that you could make those 2 as (half)drows ? I would really appreciate this ;) Thanks in advance.
    I believe there already is a drow version of this pic earlier in the thread.

• CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2013
    This thread is a goldmine... just in case @Isandir or any other magician is looking for a picture to baldurize, I do have a request:

A human druid is the character I have in mind. Thanks for considering it! :)
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    Real life and other hobbies have been intruding, so I'll have some catching up to do with the latest round of requests. It may take me a while, but I'll try to get to everything.

@Isandir: Great work on that one, as always ;) And it totally feels like an elf/half-elf! Didnt quite understand what you meant though... In your eyes shes not finished just yet, or did you mean that it took you a while to finish her?

Both. Several elements in the portrait just didn't feel right as I was making it, so it took me substantially longer than most. I'm also still nitpicking at a few things that I may go back and change later.

@Foggy: That Vin Diesel portrait is indeed the one I used for my berserker! I loved that picture, and it was one of the only celebrity images I would use in the game.

@DarkDogg & @Kazi: No problem. I'll work on each of the requests that you made, though I'm not sure when I'll have them done. I'll also work on the portrait for @Cherudek unless someone beats me to it.

• TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Is anyone here willing or even looking to make a portrait for a mod? I'm looking for, basically, a black (as in, African (or Calimshite, to be particular), not drow) half-elf with white hair wearing leather or chain mail (a ranger type). I've tried asking around at other Baldur's Gate sites, but I can't find anyone willing to bite.

Perhaps because I have no portrait to work with as a beginning state. I was thinking one of the three black portraits (two human, one halfling) from NWN would work as a base, but I'm unfortunately not good with 'what will make a good base or not' figuring. I'm writer, not an artist. Working from a celebrity of sorts would also be fine, as long as it doesn't look 'completely obvious that random celebrity took a walk through Faerun', or working from another photoshop base is great by me (or original art, or editing whatever- I dunno, whatever works). Or if anyone already has a portrait that would sort of fit in to this- please, show me or let me know. :)

I'd give you full credit in the readme of the mod, obviously, and in the forums. I'll be reading this thread, but if you're interested in maybe working on something, I'd like it if you PM'ed me if that wouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks to anyone who gives it some consideration.
  • KaziKazi Member Posts: 2
    Such awesome work, thank you very much ;)
  • vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2013
    Bored again :)

Model for reference :

Post edited by vierrae on
  • TzarTzar Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2013
    Delvarian said:

Anyone know a good IPad app to use for baldurizing pics on the go?

Well, for actual creation of portraits ProCreate is the best app by far! I guess you cold just 'baldurize' photographs as well - just open photo you want and paint it over a new layer...

I'd do it myself, but I don't have iPad currently, all Android apps presently suck, and I hate to paint with the mouse instead of my fingers.

So I'm asking for help from this wondrous community:

I need this pic baldurized: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Smullyan.jpeg

In short - this dude Raymond Merrill Smullyan is the only person in the universe worthy of representing child of Bhall by portrait. Guy is magician, logician, mathematician, pianist, chess player and ideally perfect to be player's Mage in Baldur's Gate saga! Lots of his logic puzzles are implemented in the game itself via various community mods. I highly recommend reading his books for great inspiration in life...

I would be grateful if someone can baldurize and colorize his portrait for me: white hair (with few grey and dark ones), dark eyebrows, caucasian skin, red robes (major color scarlet or crimson or burgundy and minor color gold - something like Edwin), and bunch of ancient leather books in front of him :)

If someone would be kind enough to do this, I would return the favor to the community by providing detailed instructions on how to develop this character in game so that he becomes most powerful archmage the game mechanics allow - as he should be!

Thank You
    Post edited by Tzar on
    edited December 2013
    @Isandir it is cool beyond measure, thank you for sharing this piece!
    Been wondering, how do you manage to get that background glow on the edges of the figure? I think it's called "the reflected shadow"?
    @vierrae: Thank you, though Twani deserves credit for providing a very clear description of what he wanted. It made it much easier to aim for a specific result.

One of the final steps I usually take in most of my portraits in Photoshop is recombining all of the character's layers (which are split right away at the beginning of the process) and adding an inner glow, with the color sampled from one of the lights in the background. By combining it with an inner shadow from one angle--based on the locations of the light sources you're picturing in your mind--it adds a nice 3D effect and also helps distinguish the character from the background.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I am considering that I probably need an Alternate pic for Keldorn as I am not a fan of the original. And perhaps Mazzy and Valgyar also.

Ne ideas?
    @Isandir and how do you combine these lights with inner shadow? From the looks, it wasn't done manually, so, what Photoshop function do you use? Because even though I can draw something on the paper, this program is one big question for me :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I happen to come across these alt Viconia pics while browsing another site.

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

For those of you who are always asking for alt Neera pics, someone posted this about a year ago in one of the archived threads here:

Tis the one I use... it kinda annoyed me when her hair colour got changed to more resemble that of her original picture, what with the glow, so now I always have to EEKeeper her blonde >.<

Also, loving them alternate Viconia pictures there!
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Aww, Isandir, thank you so much for the portrait and the compliments! People, I definitely recommend getting a portrait from Isandir if he can find the time. He filled my request exactly, even though I was all picky and stuff about it and asked for a ton. And look at the result! Pretty awesome, isn't it? Will fit perfect for a half-elf genasi.

(Though I am female. >.> XD)
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2013
    nvm
    Post edited by Zymran86 on
    vierrae said:

@Isandir and how do you combine these lights with inner shadow? From the looks, it wasn't done manually, so, what Photoshop function do you use? Because even though I can draw something on the paper, this program is one big question for me :)

When you select one of your layers, right-click and select display blending options. Check the option for inner glow, and use the eye dropper to select a color from the background that makes sense. If I need to offset the glow on one side due to the natural (and artificial) lighting, I check inner shadow, and simply angle it and adjust the size to cover the glow. Depending on the angle of the lighting source, I often use the smudge or mixer brush tool to soften the edge once the layers are combined.

@Twani: Don't ask me why, but I had looked at your username the first time and just assumed it was a male name. No idea why...
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @vierrae
    Wow, this is Amazing! Merely 'liking' it seems woefully insufficient!

Wonderful work, it is awesome to see the improvement of artists on this thread. What a difference in one year, bring on 2014! :D
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    This is a long shot but it seems some peoples requests are being taken up by some awesome people :)

I would really love if somebody could attempt to baldurize this :D

It's for a text based browser game and I'm trying to make custom portraits and possibly use them in BG as well. For these custom portraits to be allowed in the game you have to incorporate the stock portraits into the ones you submit as custom. I already made one out of Edwin's and Jon Irenicus' portrait but pasting a face onto another is basically the extent of my photoshopping skills. These are the ones I've done. I wish I was good enough to baldurize them from scratch

image > image

image > image

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @vierrae looks a bit like @LiamEsler's avatar... in a good way.
This discussion has been closed.