Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2013
    @Heindrich1988 thank you! I got a little sloppy with his armor, will repaint it some time later with fresh look.
    @nano all cowled guys look the same, I guess :)
    By the way, I'm doing @Tzar's request now, I have to paint almost from scratch, it's challenging and I like it :)
    Post edited by vierrae on
  • TzarTzar Member Posts: 9
    vierrae said:

@Tzar
    There you go

That's... ...not bad! Not bad at all. Thank You :D
    I'm deeply honored by your skill. And to do something like this for a complete stranger - You honor me beyond words...

But, if I may be so bold - it is my understanding that Raymond Merrill Smullyan would surely pick something a bit more... ...manly... ...for his outfit... Pink tunic is perhaps just not the thing for a respectable mage... *cough* Yeah...

Anyway, I was asking for red/gold combo because that's how I originally had set the colors of my ingame character's outfit before EE. Reason for that is that I was most of the time wearing 'Robe of the Good Archamgi' and that robe was partially red/gold and it looked best while worn with player's red/gold color outfit!
    But as I said, that was long time ago, before EE, so it probably doesn't matter anymore now with Robe of Vecna and everything...

But I'd still very much like to have same colors on my portrait and ingame character outfit!
    I believe that currently the best way to develop a mage is to start as a swashbuckler and dual it at lvl.15, so maybe blue/gold or blue/white color scheme would be more appropriate... Actually I'll let you pick any color scheme you want (book has to fit in with the robes or be black or natural brown leather) - I'll take anything, even black/white if you don't feel like it- just please, PLEASE, don't make me wear pink!!!
    edited December 2013
    vierrae said:

@Tzar
    It's lilac, not pink! :))) Anyway, this request for exact gold/red combo escaped my notice, and I remembered only red, but it's not a problem at all, here it is repainted.
    P.S. Why exactly swashbuckler? Why not shadowdancer with its "hide in plain sight" ability?

@vierrae
    That's perfect - thank you very much!

Now that you've mentioned it - my first thought was shadowdancer as well, but in that case I'd need to be lvl.17 to max main thief abilities, completely dump pickpocket and have only 50 in open locks and rely on knock. Since xp is capped at 8000000, that leaves only enough xp for mage lvl.27, which means I lose 1 lvl.8 spell slot, and few slots need to be wasted on knock spell.
    Vanishing from sight is really good ability, but you can't rely on it completely because it won't work against all enemies - some simply see through invisibility... And for those that don't - you have invisibility spells anyway, and you can combine them with spell immunity against divination!
    And if someone wants to be a shadowdancer - I think it's a waste to dual-class it anyway. It gets version of simulacrum, time-stop, and other neat HLA, so it's already sort of a wizard in it's own way...
    As a swashbuckler you get to max all thief skills at lvl.15 (you don't need to go over 100 except for pickpocket). Decent pickpocket skill + potion of thievery is really useful to obtain overpriced spell scrolls, and scrolls are really useful to boost your xp once you dual-class and game steals your previous class because of stupid 2nd edition system...
    Additionally you'll get weapon, AC and HP bonuses for being a swashbuckler, and that's no small reward. And you lose absolutely nothing since there's still enough xp left to level your mage to lvl.28, and beyond that you get nothing anyway - no additional spell slots even with mage lvl.31!
    Not to mention that one of the most joyful moments in game is when you set dozen snares and they obliterate some overconfident pompous fool of a NPC. And shadowdancer can't set traps...
    So - that's why ;)

In the future I'm planning to post detailed specifications on character development and I'll provide some more info there - this is some other topic after all... I'll notify you if you're interested and you're welcome to join the discussion!

Thanks again for your time!
    @Tzar I would join the discussion, thanks
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2013
    vierrae said:

Edited a little, now the armor seems a little less awkard

Way better than the first one :) Great work "Vierrae"!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Anyone got a favorite portrait for Aerie that they want to share?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I like her default one in grayscale.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2013
  • paul_leonepaul_leone Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    Hi all! I was wondering if somebody wanted to try their hand at Baldurizing any (or all, if you have the time and interest) of these ladies? Much obliged in advance. (Larger versions can be found here: http://file.walagata.com/w/varyar/Leighton_Meester_V.jpg, http://file.walagata.com/w/varyar/Laetitia_Casta_L.jpg, http://file.walagata.com/w/varyar/Jewel_2.jpg, http://www.walagata.com/w/varyar/Morena_Baccarin_B.jpg)
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Hobbit movie part 2:
    Kili
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Fili
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Thori
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Maybe someone wants to baldurize Tauriel by Evangeline Lilly?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    That Thorin one looks great. Incredibly Baldur's Gatey.
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134

I happen to come across these alt Viconia pics while browsing another site.

Well, this portrait's ain't working any longer, can you give us the link to the site you found them so we can maybe get them there?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Tzar said:

Imoen

Wow, thanks for finding an EE-sized picture of Imoen with a scar! I've seen this pic before, but I've only been able to find vanilla BG (110x170) sizes. Now I can finally replace her (rather hideous IMO) BG2 portrait! :-)

If I can make a request of the excellent artists who post in this thread, could someone possibly retouch this pic to just remove the scar? I would like to have a scar-free version to possibly replace my BG1 portrait as well.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Duron said:

I happen to come across these alt Viconia pics while browsing another site.

Well, this portrait's ain't working any longer, can you give us the link to the site you found them so we can maybe get them there?
    I can't remember where I found them, but here are the pics.

imageimageimageimage
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @Tzar, I'm responsible for the Neera picture. However, through other people's modification, it now looks quite... hmm... "special". I've put in more than 20 hours work into this, but that apparently doesn't hinder some from posting their own modified versions.

This is my original work, with and without the elven eyes (as people wanted both), and with two different backgrounds. Crop as you see fit and try it ingame, it will look much better.

edited December 2013
    @SharGuidesMyHand
    You're welcome... I wanted that pic of Imoen as well, so I dig up larger image from google and cropped it for EE. There is also version with red or black robes. Red looks best, but purple is most fitting for her since she has purple ingame outfit.

Imoens

@Astafas
    I appreciate your work very much. Many thanks! I think I got that pic I posted from this very thread awhile ago, I saved it and somehow missed the following updates :D

This new staff looks great, although the hand perhaps could be better - it seems little unnatural. But I guess it's too small to be noticeable ingame anyway...
    Thanks for eyes/background choice!
    Tzar said:

@Astafas
    I appreciate your work very much. Many thanks! I think I got that pic I posted from this very thread awhile ago, I saved it and somehow missed the following updates :D

This new staff looks great, although the hand perhaps could be better - it seems little unnatural. But I guess it's too small to be noticeable ingame anyway...
    Thanks for eyes/background choice!

There has been no updates: the version you have is made after I did my work.

The hand is an actual hand (a photograph from the web), so it can't be totally unnatural. ;-) I positioned it with my girlfriend as a model, to get it as right as possible even though you don't see the elbow (whereas on the version you found, the hands are impossible to attach to that body even with magic). Someone wanted a visible hand, although I probably wouldn't position my own hand that high up on a quarterstaff. Then again, as you say, all/most of it will fall outside of the cropping anyway.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    edited December 2013
    @Astafas
    Astafas said:

Tzar said:

@Astafas
    The hand is an actual hand (a photograph from the web), so it can't be totally unnatural. ;-)

The un-naturalness comes from the fact that the person to whom the hand belongs was making a fist, rather than holding anything. There is no way that a woman, even with a very long fingers, could touch her palm with her fingertips and be able to hold anything thicker than a pen.
    Holding a staff, it should look something like that:
    ...actually, not even like that - the thumb is still all wrong. But you get the idea. :)
    @Syntia13
    Bull's eye!
    @Syntia13 Seems correct. The easiest would of course be to simply remove the hand, which is to far up on the staff anyway IMO.
    edited December 2013
    Astafas said:

@Tzar, I'm responsible for the Neera picture. However, through other people's modification, it now looks quite... hmm... "special". I've put in more than 20 hours work into this, but that apparently doesn't hinder some from posting their own modified versions.

Well, I didn't think that was a problem, you should have told me. It never ocurred to me, since I don't mind someone editing my own work. I've removed it.
    edited December 2013
    vierrae said:

Astafas said:

Well, I didn't think that was a problem, you should have told me. It never ocurred to me, since I don't mind someone editing my own work. I've removed it.

Hey! No no no no,
    @vierrae you made my portrait - you can edit whatever you want for the rest of your life! Just don't make it pink...

@Astafas what's the problem anyway? You edited someone's photograph of someone in the first place! What about THEIR rights?
    You did hell of a job, it's a great portrait, and community thanks you and respects you. But why is it wrong if someone customizes something further? It doesn't automatically mean that your work is inferior! If there were 100 modified versions of your work - all the better! You should consider it an honor if someone finds your work so interesting and close to heart that (s)he actually spends time developing it further! That way new ideas will evolve and everyone will benefit. If you want civilization to prosper - you must never stop the development of art & culture...

I believe artists should always collaborate and work together instead of giving in to vanity and pride.

Imagine you're Bob Dylan - would you feel bad because another artist made a cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door?
    Some artists that covered it: Eric Clapton, Def Leppard, Guns 'N' Roses, Avril Lavigne, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, U2...
    No - you'd be greatly honored!

@Astafas - you're Bob Dylan, @vierrae is Pink Floyd (pun intended) - each artist has something specific and each art is beautiful in its own way - WORK TOGETHER!!!

Peace
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    Is anyone willing to try to Baldurize this young lady for me? I'm thinking of her for my Charname, but she might also make a good Aerie, now that I think of it.

I'm a very inexperienced image editor, and unfortunately this one is beyond my abilities. I don't know if I can find a higher resolution image, although I can provide a scan from a magazine if need be. Not sure how much good that would do, unfortunately.
    @BlueSorceress if you can find a HR of this photo, I might consider baldurizing, the model is beautiful. This one, unfortunatelly, is too small to work with it...
This discussion has been closed.