Skip to content

Your stat rolling techniques.

2»

Comments

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited September 2012
    elminster said:

if there is a number less than 10 anywhere I tend to skip it.

Less than 15
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    sarevok57 said:

in SoA its very common to get 90+ for paladins and rangers for some weird reason, i made a ranger in bg II once from scratch and i dont think i ever rolled under 87 and then after roll 7 or so i hit 95

The strange reason is the minimum stat requirements. Low rolls are upped to fit the minimum, making the total roll higher. In PnP AD&D, the minimum stat requirements were there to make those classes a rarity: it was rare for your stat roll to allow you to become a paladin. The way IE deals with it, it kind of reverses it: you choose the class beforehand, rolls are upped to fit the minimum, making low rolls rare for those classes. It's kind of cheesy actually. For the same reason it's very easy to get high stats for a Bard.

• sterriussterrius Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2012
    I use the same rules in the AD&D Master Guide! 75 points. (But because the game is very random as long it don´t pass 90 its fine).

Its enough to have a paladin 12 STR/9dex/10 con / 10 int/ 16 wis/ 18 car . Its the one im using in a AD&D RPG pen and paper campaing hehe. (and because its a birthright world set i traded my spells for weapon specialization, so i can hit like a warrior, have some of the paladins powers but can´t cast spell).

But have so much time since i last played bG i dont really remember the minimum anymore.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    What exactly is meant by 18/51 or 18/91??

I never played DnD, but have played warhammer. Bear with me.
  • sterriussterrius Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2012
    I was a powerlevel before, roll until i got 95+ points but now i want to really try following the AD&D Master guide rule. (Roll rule 15 if i remember right)

75 points! The mininum in BG. Just hope i can start a game with less points or i will have to roll a lot.

In this system the 18/X is 1 point for +10. (Yes, its that expensive).

Maybe start with 75-81 and make sure to avoid the stats books! (And make sure any point after 75 go to each stat no matter if its good or bad).

75 its enough for a warrior, but a paladin will suffer and will be a interesting challenge.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    I use the same techniques as the ones described before, but rolling for a kensai/mage is still a bitch. On top of getting 90+ rolls, i also want over 18/75 str score, even though i use the Str tome eventually, that comes into play very late in the game. Takes me 30-40 minutes usually to score a 92-93 with 18/76+.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25

This link should help you out in a more understandible way than if I would try to explain: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Strength
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    *click* "Ooh." *click* "Ehh." *click* *click, eyebrow perks up, click "STORE"* *click* "Ah?" *click* *click* *click RECALL* *re-allocate* "D'ahhh!"

I'm also fond of doing it sterrius' way.
  • OneTrickPonyOneTrickPony Member Posts: 17
    Im also using the techniques as others posted above.

Though, what I want to add do this topic even though it is slightly off topic.
    When ive had loads of bad rolls for a while I tend to speed the process up in chase of that perfect roll.
    However, soooooo many times ive ended up rolling over a good roll just because my finger go numb and wont respond to my brain when I see a good roll. Its super annoying.
  • TristTrist Member Posts: 16
    I roll until I get 6 scores between 3 and 18 inclusive. Then I click 'next'.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I sacrifice a virgin for good luck before rolling. Usually gets me nice results.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I roll, set everything to 10 (or as low as it can go) and if I have +20 points to distribute I do so.
    If not reroll.
    I may store a lower roll (81 or 82) but doing it this slow methodical way tells me not to worry about the difference between a 15 and 16 CON. Just play the damn game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Like I wrote earlier I quickly eyeball for anything less than 10 and if I see it I immediately click reroll. My justification for this is that it is always possible for you to have say 16 and 17's along with a 10. I've had it happen before. Below that it is unlikely that it will lead to a 90+ score. Its mostly just a very easy target to aim for.
  • FrekFrek Member Posts: 15
    I've imposed a strange rule on myself.

I limit myself to 3 rerolls, so with the initial role I get 4 chances at it. I used to do the reroll forever game.
  • Silverspirit2001Silverspirit2001 Member Posts: 14
    4d6 7 times, drop the lowest dice per role, and the lowest score, then use shadow keeper.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    edited November 2012
    Dogmatix said:

This link should help you out in a more understandible way than if I would try to explain: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Strength
    Ok, so from what I gathered, it would be how much one can carry, do damage, and open doors.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012

Dogmatix said:

Ok, so from what I gathered, it would be how much one can carry, do damage, and open doors.
    Yea basically for warrior classes (fighters/paladins/rangers/barbarians) they get this feature that they also get some kind of 18/(anywhere between 1 and 100) strength. Like you said depending upon what tier in that 100 score they roll when they make their character, they varying amounts of damage, chance to hit, bashing lock success %, or carrying capacity. Doors can be open by any character regardless of strength.
  • VarkalasVarkalas Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    My personal technique: If there's a number under 10 I reroll. If I see a 10, 10, or 10, 11, or 10, 12 I reroll (94 perfect roll with those numbers). Same for 11, 11. If there's something like 11, 12, * (* being anything under 18) then it's a reroll (94 perfect roll). Same thing goes for seeing three 12's or three 13's--reroll those. Everything else you glance at briefly to see if it's 90+. This won't take long, less than 1 second (2-3 seconds on the 90+ checking).

Also good to note: +1 all stats gained in first BG (+3 for wisdom), +1 all stats gained in Watcher's Keep, +2wis/+1cha/-1 dex with all the good options in Bhaal's Realm (keeping your alignment), -1 dex/con/int/or wis (Spellhold dream), +1 primary stat (deck of many things).

Another note: Human mages are extremely easy to roll a 95 (less than 20 minutes). Elven mages often take many hours to roll a 95.

With the current stats effects (wisdom has no save vs. mental attribute, strength benefits at 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18...), if you want an elven mage (90% resist to charm/sleep -- Ilithids and sirens) at 95 an optimal route is:
    [stat: bonus | starting stats | ending stats]
    Strength: +2 | 16 | 18
    Dexterity: +2 | 19 | 20 (-1 from selfishness)
    Constitution: +2 | 14 | 16
    Intelligence: +2 | 17 | 19 (+1 from deck, -1 from dream) (max spells)
    Wisdom: +5 | 13 | 18
    Charisma: +3 | 16 | 19

Human mage (no resist):
    Strength: +2 | 14 | 16
    Dexterity: +2 | 18 | 19 (-1 from selfishness)
    Constitution: +2 | 18 | 20 (regeneration)
    Intelligence: +2 | 17 | 19 (+1 from deck, -1 from dream) (max spells)
    Wisdom: +5 | 13 | 18
    Charisma: +3 | 15 | 18

Also note that the -1 DEX for the Tear of Selfishness may be able to be avoided.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    Sorry to those who do not like that, but I have rerolled for 15 min until getting the following stats for my Cavalier :

STR - 18/66
    DEX - 18
    CON -18
    INT - 11
    WIS - 13
    CHA -17

And I'm happy with it since, when my PC dies, the game ends.
    As simple as it is. The total value of all should be 90 or above and every single skill above 10.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

Sorry to those who do not like that, but I have rerolled for 15 min until getting the following stats for my Cavalier :

STR - 18/66
    DEX - 18
    CON -18
    INT - 11
    WIS - 13
    CHA -17

And I'm happy with it since, when my PC dies, the game ends.

Cavalier is too easy to roll on :>
    Got almost the same (94) in like 10min, tried 10 more minutes but no luck. 94 is good enough though :)
  • TurelusTurelus Member Posts: 23
    Roll until I get a good set of numbers over 10 and then see what it adds up to.
    For those of us not as skilled at maths, I normally set all values to 15 (if class/race allows) to see what I have.

Managed to roll 93 for my Human Mage though so I am pretty happy :)
  • WoozWooz Member Posts: 32
    Sorry for the off topic request, but the forum is not allowing me to create a new thread right now....does anybody know where to find a vendor (besides Winthrop) that sells regular Katanas? Any help would be awesome.
  • kmfdmkmfdm Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    I consider a roll to be good if I get 18/00 for STR for fighter-types, for non-fighters it's the sum of about 90+