Skip to content

*SPOILERS* Tips and tricks! How to ace BG!

2»

Comments

• CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    All the nice little hidden gear early on really helps. The ring of wizardry and the Ankheg plate being two that spring to mind
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Using this tactic a lot lately playtesting my wildmage. Put two invisible party members at the front when heading down small corridors. Don't let them engage in fighting or anything else. Enemies cannot fight them, and cannot get past them! Now simply shoot anything in front of them with your ranged weaponry and hey presto everything is dieing and they can't even get past 'the invisible human / elf / dwarf / gnome / halfling shield' Only problem is wizards... simply run your invisi dudes right up to the pesky mage and whack away before mass confusion and other area effect spells are cast.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Could you substitute one or more clerics under the effects of sanctuary or do you need invisibility?
    I guess you could use summoned monsters if you wanted your entire party to be involved with shooting.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Shows how much I know... Don't play clerics! So can't say!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    that door trick with the mindflayers. Send in some charges of the wands of cloudkill and you have a room of dead mindflayers.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Miloch said:

Magic. It's overrated. I always just charge in with three good fighter/hackers and a rear wing of archer/fraggers and it's always over fast enough. Wizards are always sitting around with a spell prepped and saying... "uh... duh... what do I do with this?"

What you mean is "Magic is Impressive. But now, Minsc leads..." :D
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    For BG1:

Missile weapons + poison ammo = epic spellcaster ownage.

If you have a high dext char with the light crossbow of speed, and another with the long bow of marksmanship, and you load each with poison arrows/bolts, you can pump any spellcaster full of poison before he has a chance to get off any spells, and the poison will also prevent him from casting spells for the next several rounds - by which time you've probably pumped him full of even more poison, which will prevent from casting spells for even more rounds, and so on.

For BG2, the makers cheated the magic users so that they can either cast spells instantaneously, or continue to cast certain spells even when getting hit or poisoned. Unlike BG1, which could be won with almost any single approach if you did it well enough, BG2 was overwhelmingly biased toward casting/dispelling magic.

When facing, say, a lich in BG2, my favorite tactic is to send a barbarian and/or berserker to attack in "rage" mode, and just wail away at the lich's spell defenses even if it doesn't do any immediate damage, while the rest of my party just stays back. The lich will focus its spells on the sole attacker, but the rage ability will keep them immune, and eventually the lich's spell defenses will run out and they'll be a sitting duck. Just be sure to keep an eye out for when the "rage" mode ends, so a new one can be cast.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467

What you mean is "Magic is Impressive. But now, Minsc leads..." :D

Swords for everyone!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180

For BG1:

When facing, say, a lich in BG2, my favorite tactic is to send a barbarian and/or berserker to attack in "rage" mode, and just wail away at the lich's spell defenses even if it doesn't do any immediate damage, while the rest of my party just stays back. The lich will focus its spells on the sole attacker, but the rage ability will keep them immune, and eventually the lich's spell defenses will run out and they'll be a sitting duck. Just be sure to keep an eye out for when the "rage" mode ends, so a new one can be cast.

What you said is true about immunity against domination, stun, fear and confusion, but the lich can still kill you by raw damage, turning you into stone or disintegrating you. Another way is to summon a bunch of weak monsters (or that skeleton w/ 85% magic resistance) and send them in one by one. Those are meat shields, your party is not.

Also barbarian is NOT immune against imprisonment. I learn that the hard way (didnt save for 20 min).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Let's not forget Wail of the Banshee and other nice instant death spells a lich loves to throw at your party members...