Skip to content

The Sword Coast and The North

If you were transported to Faerûn some time between 1479 DR and 1491 DR, where would you want to find yourself in and around the Sword Coast and the North?
  1. The Sword Coast and The North43 votes
    1. The Lords' Alliance (Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Silverymoon, Baldur's Gate, Daggerford, Longsaddle, Amphail, Yartar, etc)
      32.56%
    2. Dwarfholds of the North (Mithral Hall, Citadel Adbar, Citadel Felbarr, Gauntlgrym, Stoneshaft Hold, Ironmaster, Sundabar, Mirabar, etc)
      18.60%
    3. Island Kingdoms (The Moonshaes, Whalebones, Ruathym, Mintarn, Orlumbor, Nelanther Isles, Lantan, Nimbral, etc)
        9.30%
    4. Independent Realms (Candlekeep, Darkhold, Helm's Hold, Elturgard, Hartsvale, Trielta Hills, Najara, Luskan, Icewind Dale, Uthgardt territory, etc)
      13.95%
    5. Wilderness (The High Moor, The Trollclaws, The High Forest, etc)
        4.65%
    6. Underdark (Blingdenstone, Gracklstugh, Menzoberranzan, Mantol-Derith, etc)
        2.33%
    7. Riding my aboleth friends and raiding aquatic elven cities before retreating into the crushing depths with new slimy servitors to swell our armies in preparation for The Day of Reckoning Upon The Dry Places.
        4.65%
    8. Some hidden avariel aerie, where the terrible sea-land war won't reach me.
        0.00%
    9. Hovering above it all in the phlogiston, getting ready for some spelljamming in a ship crewed by werehamsters.
        9.30%
    10. I am abstaining from this poll because I am an elf and I don't see Evermeet anywhere on this list even though the hated drow city of Menzoberranzan is listed, I petulantly turn my back on this poll to sip morning dew off of leaves every day for five hundred years.
        4.65%

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Candlekeep, Elturgard, Hartsvale and Trielta Hills all sound like my kinda places, so my vote is for the Independent Realms of the Sword Coast and the North.

Plus, if I ever wanted to get killed real fast I could always move to Luskan and skip around so my coinpurse jingles with every step.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Since we're talking D&D 5 era, I'm hiding in one of the few places not ravaged by the Spellplague; Baldur's Gate. Besides, I've always been a city boy.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I am abstaining since you didn't include "ALL of the above".
    mf2112 said:

I am abstaining since you didn't include "ALL of the above".

It's there, but hidden in the depths of the undersea choice. "(Conquering) All of those Above (from the Depths)"
  • alkahestalkahest Member Posts: 5
    Malicron said:

Since we're talking D&D 5 era, I'm hiding in one of the few places not ravaged by the Spellplague; Baldur's Gate. Besides, I've always been a city boy.

Same reason as you, besides, the Hall of Wonder really fascinates me
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I was going to say Frozenfar and the Sea of Moving Ice. Then I saw this choice.

What can I say... I have a weakness for happy ends like this. :relieved:
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited May 2016
    Edit: At first I didn't know where to go, and then I re-read the list. I am down with the Bardic Colleges in Waterdeep and/or Silverymoon.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Citiiiiiies. Minsc is wrong about them.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    I would start my travel to Kara-Tur from an old dwarven stronghold beneath Fourthpeak Mountain in the Frost Hills. Me, my hammer and my brother Grum.
    helmo1977 said:

I have no idea about the world in that timeframe (the last edition I played and knew about was 3.5), so I wont vote.

PS. That "Spellplague" thing was horrible, imho. Frankly, I dont know why WoTC must ravage the FR with one disaster or another when it releases a new D&D edition. The only time it didnt happen was in the transtion from 2nd to 3rd edition, and the transtion to the last, 5th, edition. The other disaster was the Time of Troubles (when the game changed from 1st to 2nd edition), but even that was nothing compared to the Spellplague. 4th edition was the worst that ever happened to the FRs (and to D&D, imho). That is one of the reasons I dont like 5th edition FRs. It is already spoiled by that damn 4th edition "Spellplague".

Actually they did do a disaster, the Sundering, to move 4th to 5th, and it reverses almost all of the Spellplague changes because they recognized that long-time FR fans absolutely loathed the fluff changes even more than long-time D&D fans of any previous edition loathed 4th ed mechanics. Personally I think 5th ed is the best ruleset D&D has come out with so far, it was a pre-3rd edition feel but + the lessons they learned in game design from 3.x about what to improve and - the lessons they learned in game design from 4th ed about what not to do and that = a really great new set of mechanics.

But mechanics aside, it's basically an advanced timeline that restores things largely to how it was in 3.5 (and actually rolls back a few of the 3.5 changes like Netheril, although remnants of it remain it's no longer the Empire it was in 3.5), so you might want to check out the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and see if you like what you see, fluff-wise! I know I did, and I've had some time to check it out more thoroughly over the last couple days (which is part of what inspired this poll!) and I'm an FR fan from 2e days who hated the Spellplague and all that came with it, so while our tastes may still diverge despite those points of similarity, I recommend at least giving the 5e fluff a spin since I think the era immediately post-Sundering is maybe my favourite FR era aside from immediately post-Time of Troubles. Ed Greenwood and Co. did a bang up job on giving the Realms back a Realms feel after the Spellplague disaster without pulling a DC Comics Infinite Retcon handwave.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Actually they did do a disaster, the Sundering, to move 4th to 5th, and it reverses almost all of the Spellplague changes because they recognized that long-time FR fans absolutely loathed the fluff changes even more than long-time D&D fans of any previous edition loathed 4th ed mechanics. Personally I think 5th ed is the best ruleset D&D has come out with so far, it was a pre-3rd edition feel but + the lessons they learned in game design from 3.x about what to improve and - the lessons they learned in game design from 4th ed about what not to do and that = a really great new set of mechanics.

But mechanics aside, it's basically an advanced timeline that restores things largely to how it was in 3.5 (and actually rolls back a few of the 3.5 changes like Netheril, although remnants of it remain it's no longer the Empire it was in 3.5), so you might want to check out the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and see if you like what you see, fluff-wise! I know I did, and I've had some time to check it out more thoroughly over the last couple days (which is part of what inspired this poll!) and I'm an FR fan from 2e days who hated the Spellplague and all that came with it, so while our tastes may still diverge despite those points of similarity, I recommend at least giving the 5e fluff a spin since I think the era immediately post-Sundering is maybe my favourite FR era aside from immediately post-Time of Troubles. Ed Greenwood and Co. did a bang up job on giving the Realms back a Realms feel after the Spellplague disaster without pulling a DC Comics Infinite Retcon handwave.

How about the pantheon? Most of the gods still massacred or have a fair amount of them been put back in as well?

How about the pantheon? Most of the gods still massacred or have a fair amount of them been put back in as well?
    Actually some of the ones that are back include Bhaal (from the Murder in Baldur's Gate 4e to 5e transitional adventure) and Myrkul (Kelemvor is still around though, Jergal and Myrkul both serve him from what it looks like), which means those three evil adventurers of days of yore are back in the deific saddle again!

That said, I haven't given a complete comb-over of the deities yet, and tbh I didn't pay attention to who died during the Spellplague because I stopped following FR lore as soon as I started reading things about the massive changes to certain nations/regions, like Halruua being destroyed and so on (although Halruua turned out to just have left when the Spellplague was about to hit because of their divinations and its back now, which makes me happy as someone who has always loved that wacky nation of wizards and airships).
    Most - if not all - of the deities who were killed or imprisoned during the spellplague are back. Helm's back, Tyr's back, Mystra's back, and Cyric's back. The weave and shadow weave are intact again.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    What about the planes though? Were the Abyss, Limbo, Carceri, ect. restored as well? Or do we still have this disgusting Elemental Chaos crap, where good ol' Tanar'ri are nothing but degraded elementals? This was my greatest beef with 4e hands down. Given that it completely destroyed the Planescape legacy.
    edited May 2016
    @Kamigoroshi
    Yep, it's all back as it was, except that in addition to the Plane of Shadow there's a Plane of Fey similarly coterminous with (and a mirror of) the Material Plane, but nothing else is added and everything is restored (and there has been some talk that if the Ravenloft adventures sell well enough to justify it there may be a campaign setting book, which would mean that the hints and rumblings of a WotC Planescape adventure potentially coming down the pipe after they do Dragonlance and probably Greyhawk could mean a 5e setting book, which I'm crossing my fingers so hard for I have bruises between all my knuckles).
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Yeah, I'd more or less given up on WotC and official D&D after 4e. Then I heard about the (good) retcon Greenwood and company had pulled off, and actually took a look at 5e. Bloody glad I did too; the changes to Wizards alone are fantastic.
    The classes actually feel more like fun choices, distinct but (aside from Warlock maybe) very well balanced with one another, and with so much to customize in the way of archetypes and backgrounds! And with both archetypes and backgrounds ridiculously easy to make custom (and balanced to core) versions of compared to trying to do the same with kits and prestige classes of 2e and 3.x...it's a dream! I think WotC having the general public playtest and give feedback for as long as they did really made this edition shine, and I like that they reached out to fan strongholds of basically every previous edition on the net to try and get them involved.

I don't like that they staggered releases of PHB/MM/DMG like they did, but now that they're all out I'm pretty impressed with them. The DMG in particular I find really concise and easy to navigate compared to previous editions.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    bengoshi said:

I would start my travel to Kara-Tur from an old dwarven stronghold beneath Fourthpeak Mountain in the Frost Hills. Me, my hammer and my brother Grum.

Aye, I second this. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Wasn't Lantan destroyed? If so, there.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Spelljamming would be a dream come true!!!
    deltago said:

During the Spellplague it seemed to have been, along with Nimbral, but both have returned post-Sundering. Details are scant since the only setting book so far covers the Sword Coast and doesn't venture much out to sea in terms of details like that (although the novels may be covering some of the hows and wherefores).

deltago said:

During the Spellplague it seemed to have been, along with Nimbral, but both have returned post-Sundering. Details are scant since the only setting book so far covers the Sword Coast and doesn't venture much out to sea in terms of details like that (although the novels may be covering some of the hows and wherefores).
    It does look like the end of the spellplague hit a big reset button for Faerun. Probably a sign of how much fans did not like the 4e changes.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2016
    I would definitely end up in Beregost if I didn't start out there. I've always been attracted to road trip hubs.
    jackjack said:

I would definitely end up in Beregost if I didn't start out there. I've always been attracted to road trip hubs.

The real question is: would you stop in at Kagain's store and see if his assistant ever showed up?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

jackjack said:

The real question is: would you stop in at Kagain's store and see if his assistant ever showed up?
    After a few rounds at The Jovial Juggler, I'll agree to most anything.
    jackjack said:

jackjack said:

After a few rounds at The Jovial Juggler, I'll agree to most anything.
    The Burning Wizard-Red Sheaf ouroboros pubcrawl is more my style, they're right next door to each other so if I get kicked out of one I can go drink in the other and keep doing it until I pass out.