Skip to content

Do you want BG:EE on iPhone 5?

Jin_bgJin_bg Member Posts: 11
iPhone 5 has larger 16:9 screen. Now pleasant gaming is possible.
  1. Do you want BG:EE on iPhone 5?85 votes
    1. Yes! I want to play on the go! I surely would download it!
      14.12%
    2. No. I wouldn't download it. I don't play on the go.
      85.88%

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I voted no because I'd rather have it for the iPad. The iPhone's screen is too small to accommodate the number of buttons and features that you need to be able to access on the fly.

If I had an iPad, though, I'd almost certainly play this game on the go.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2012
    Yes or no would have sufficed. That or providing people more options for why they do/don't agree with having BG:EE developed for the Iphone.

I think the developers should spend time developing content, and not waste it developing a UI that Iphone users will be able to use. Like Aosaw points out, the screen is too small to be able to handle the current interface. Between Ipad's, Android tablets, the PC and Mac's they are already providing many options for people who want to play the game. Maybe at a later date they may choose to add more, but I would not get your hopes up.
  • Jin_bgJin_bg Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2012
    As for me. I don't see any reason to have a tablet when I have an iPhone, that said, I would definitely buy and download BG:EE on my iPhone.

The screen is big enough to read the text and tap what I want. To clarify:

Old iPad's resolution: 1024x768
    iPhone's 5 resolution: 1136x640 (it's similar, then why not?)

Note: I will buy the game for Mac for sure, but playing on the go would be great, however I feel no need of buying a big iPod... I mean, iPad... iPhone can do the same and even more + I have it always with myself, tablets just won't fit my pocket, taking them is not convenient.
    edited October 2012

I want it for my watch!

Good one :) but iPhone 5's screen is definitely big enough :) if not Overhaul with BG:EE then other company with other game will prove that sooner or later.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Jin_bg said:

As for me. I don't see any reason to have a tablet when I have an iPhone, that said, I would definitely buy and download BG:EE on my iPhone.

The screen is big enough to read the text and tap what I want. To clarify:

Old iPad's resolution: 1024x768
    iPhone's 5 resolution: 1136x640 (it's similar, then why not?)

Note: I will buy the game for Mac for sure, but playing on the go would be great, however I feel no need of buying a big iPod... I mean, iPad... iPhone can do the same and even more + I have it always with myself, tablets just won't fit my pocket, taking them is not convenient.

It's not a resolution issue, it's a matter of outright size. In an iPhone screen the average fingertip would be about the size of the whole party.
    More specifically:

On the standard screen you have twelve action icons along the bottom panel, six character portraits on the right panel, eight "screen" buttons on the left panel, a Rest icon, and a Pause button.

You also have a dialogue window to show the battle log, and a gameplay area that is large enough to touch effectively during combat.

And the buttons all have to be big enough to touch with your fingers in a way that is both accurate and efficient.
    edited October 2012
    Well, guys, don't exaggerate, the UI can be modified to make the play pleasant.
    True, but you still need all of that functionality, and you still need to be able to interact with the game in a way that is intuitive. I'm not convinced that this is possible on such a small screen without completely redesigning the UI specifically for the iPhone.
    So completely redesign the UI specifically for the iPhone 5! Why not? I bet they would earn a lot more than they ever thought!

Buttons don't have to be too big or too small and the area of the gameplay can be big enough to make you see everything. Designers just have to think how to develop the game and UI on iPhone 5 to make the gameplay entertaining, not irritating.

The screen is definitely big enough. Just UI changes need a lot of work and thinking.
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    Jin_bg said:

Well, guys, don't exaggerate, the UI can be modified to make the play pleasant.

BG just isn't the type of game that you would play in some random 5-10 minutes while you're "on the go" like Angry Birds is. Simple in-game tasks like equipping characters can consume way more than that.

You would have to scroll through conversations with NPCs. You would have to press the screen a thousand times to move across the map because the screen is so small. During battles, 10 unseen archers and mages will pummel your party from afar. It's a sit-down, very time consuming strategy rpg game which is enhanced by large screen resolution.

Playing it on an Ipad would be fine, but an iPhone!? Yuck. Imagine sorting through 6 inventories on that thing! People new to the game would hate it.

• WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I can't even imagine playing BG on anything but a keyboard and mouse. A tablet seems too difficult or complicated, and the "big" screen on an Iphone 5 would be even worse.

Not that BG on the Iphone would make an impact on me. I prefer Droid. xD
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited October 2012
    i wouldn´t get an iphone...
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    I'll just quote trent on this whole debate:

"I played for two hours on my iPhone. It was not a great experience. I used the tip of my pinkie and still had to touch multiple times to get the input to register.
    I think a 7" or thereabouts screen is going to be the lower limit for playability given the current user interface. With a UI re-work we could make the iPhone 4 and better playable.
    -Trent"

If this is something the team wants to do and cares about I say go for it. If they do try and dont like the results oh well. Sounds like Cam is really interested in trying something out.

Also, I doubt there is really any need to worry. I could never see the team compromising the PC/MAC and ipad version so they could spend all of their time getting it to work on smart phones. It sounds like more of a fun side project for them that will have no bearing on the quality of the main releases.
    Post edited by Risingsun on
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Even i love baldur's gate , but i still feel 4 inch screen doesn't have nice gameplay in this case.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136

I want it for my watch!

But iPhone 5 IS your watch, no?
  • RedcloakRedcloak Member Posts: 8
    I concur with the screen size issue. I've tried a lot of games on the iPhone, and many things just can't pull off the phone screens like you can with a tablet.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    It would be a little bit too small. And by a little bit, I mean way too small.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Also, I don't really like the poll options. I do want to play on the go. Just not on a phone. I will use my iPad.
    Paladin said:

Also, I don't really like the poll options. I do want to play on the go. Just not on a phone. I will use my iPad.

What I meant was: No. I wouldn't download it. - OR - I don't play on the go.

but can't edit that.

hope most of people get the idea.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    By redesigning the GUI it would be possible to play it. But I highly doubt it'd be comfortable to play an hour or longer on the tiny screen.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    I play on the go, but there really isn't enough screen real estate on any of the iPhone's (or Samsung Galaxy phones) to do justice to the game. It would only serve to ruin the experience.

Playing on the iPad however works, anything smaller I would't even want to look at.
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    I'm planning to play it on the go. On my iPad. Trying to play on a 4" display would probably make me go blind, and as for controlling the UI, I don"t think that filing the tips my my fingers to needle-shaped points is worth it, much as I love BG.........
  • CribbianCribbian Member Posts: 19
    I don't want it personally but if it would be profitable then why not.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Why would anyone want to play BG on an iPhone... Do you want to go blind?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I've never wanted to play on the go. For one thing if I was on a train I would probably end up missing my stop because I was so immersed in the game. And the other problem is I tend to talk out loud to my characters while I am playing, which would be kind of embarrassing (and no doubt quite annoying for my fellow passengers).
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2012
    I wouldn't play it on the go, period. If it was that kind of game I would never have bothered with it to begin with.

But then I am in entirely the wrong demographic for that. I do not stream music or video either.

I have expensive steroes and TVs for music and video, neither of which I enjoy on the go.

I tried it and discovered that the whole mobile entertainment realm does not work for me. I like screen space. I like big visuals. I don't like squinting at or smudging screens with my fingers.

Jin_bg said:

iPhone 5 has larger 16:9 screen. Now pleasant gaming is possible.

• Infern0Infern0 Member Posts: 44
    Anyone who thinks playing Baldurs gate on an iphone would be a good experience needs to have a word with themselves
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I agree, the screen is too small for this kind of game. And I have two Iphones at home and two Macs, before anyone decides I'm an anti-apple crusader :)
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    To be clear, I'd love to play on the go, just so long as a brought a Tablet with me.