Skip to content

Civilization VI released

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic
Firaxis has announced Civilization VI, the next game in the long-running series.

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
sparkleavbrusgnaumiecBillyYankdeltagoTeflonBlackorbmlnevese

Comments

• sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    Another game that I'll have to buy. Didn't much like Beyond Earth though.
    JuliusBorisovVarwulf
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm cautiously curious about the sprawling city concept. It would be nice to not have to cultivate my land with the same irrigation/plantation/mine combination every time I play the game. On the other hand I'm not sure how I feel about enemies destroying my Great Pyramid...
    JuliusBorisovsparkleavmlneveseAnduin
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Looking forward to downloading the Baba Yetu mod.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Liked 1 and 2. Loved 3 and 4.

5 didn't really do it for me just felt not like a CIV game for some reason.
    BGLover
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The sprawling city concept sounds quite similar to what games like Endless Legend already do with the city growing specialized sections.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Woot!
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    This looks promising.
    JuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop...

And please let it have Canada as a Civilization...
    JuliusBorisovsparkleavTeflon
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    There can be no true civilization sequels without Leonard Nimoy to voice the narration. Civ2 will forever be the one true version (although I concede I preferred the gameplay in Alpha Centuari).
    Achterkladsparkleav
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Personally, I still prefer Civ 4. Civ 5 had a lot of character, but failed as a strategy game.
    BGLoverTeflonArdul
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Do we need another one?!

Personally, I lost interest in these games when they went all multiplayer.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2016
    deltago said:

please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop... please let it run on my laptop...

Alas as usual I think we'll likely have to turn to modding to see a playable Canada civ.
    JuliusBorisov
    Fardragon said:

Do we need another one?!

Huh? They have multiplayer - and pitboss mode in special is awesome - but no one forces you do it. Nor has the multiplayer option negative impact on single-player.
    sparkleav
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Let's see. As I recall city management was a bit too simplified in Civ V. I preferred CIV.
    sparkleavlansounet
    Ammar said:

Fardragon said:

Do we need another one?!

Huh? They have multiplayer - and pitboss mode in special is awesome - but no one forces you do it. Nor has the multiplayer option negative impact on single-player.
    Multiplayer completly messes up the pacing of the single player game. The last version of Civilisation that was any good was CivII.
    Fardragon said:

Ammar said:

Fardragon said:

Do we need another one?!

Multiplayer completly messes up the pacing of the single player game. The last version of Civilisation that was any good was CivII.
    How? I do not see it. Can you try and explain what you mean with this?

All Civs games have a tendency that the game is basically decided rather early, but this is not new to the latter versions.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550

Liked 1 and 2. Loved 3 and 4.

5 didn't really do it for me just felt not like a CIV game for some reason.

This is me too.

I played the original Civ, Civ2, the Call to Power in-laws, the original Alpha Centauri, Civ3, and I still play Civ4, but I just couldn't get into Civ5. It was the first one of the series I just didn't enjoy.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    It's pretty funny how they like want to see the game and the go-to marketing thing is a picture of Ghandi. If he only knew he'd be used to sell computer games 70 years after his death lol.
    sparkleavJuliusBorisovTeflon
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, taking into account Gandhi preferred to use nonviolent civil disobedience and voted for civil rights and freedom across the world, one can clearly understand why his figure could be used in a trailer for Civilization. After all, Gandhi certainly added to our human civilization a lot.

But this is an off-topic talk, so let's focus on the game.
    sparkleavmlnevese
    edited May 2016
    The only problem is that Gandhi in Civilization games just loves to nuke his opponents :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    sparkleavJuliusBorisovBlackorblansounet
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Civ series is too much NOT like Age of Empires or Empire Earth for my tastes.
    Achterklad
    elminster said:

deltago said:

Alas as usual I think we'll likely have to turn to modding to see a playable Canada civ.
    Can't we be like the polocks and spam their forums with Wikipedia entries on Canada and how they shaped the world until they get annoyed enough to include us?
    sparkleav
    Canada shaped the world because otherwise the rest of the world would be overrun by moose?
    sparkleavJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2016
    deltago said:

elminster said:

deltago said:

Can't we be like the polocks and spam their forums with Wikipedia entries on Canada and how they shaped the world until they get annoyed enough to include us?
    We could also keep this option on the table.

sparkleavmlnevesedeltagoJuliusBorisov
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    I'm Canadian, and bluntly, Poland deserved to be in way more than Canada ever did.

But it'd crack me up to see PM Trudeau (either of them) as a civ leader.

I generally like all the civs; 5 wasn't great at first (being Steam-only didn't help), but got as good as any of the others after the first expansion and continued on from that, IMO.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It would be appropriate for Trudeau to be in there. Why? Because it's 2016. :)
    Ayiekieajwz
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I just hope it is somehow possible to set up 'no war' games. I hate having to fight other civs and hate having them attack me. I play Civ only for the love of (micro)managing my own cities and empire - which btw is why I'm absolutely loving this new system of unpackaged sprawling cities. That's pure awesomeness! :)
    GreenWarlockJuliusBorisov
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    mlnevese said:

The only problem is that Gandhi in Civilization games just loves to nuke his opponents :)

Wait why is this a problem? Didnt gandhi use nukes in real life? :p

Anyway cant wait for civ 6, already played civ 5 over 400 hours sinds last december xd :#
    mlneveseTeflon
    edited May 2016
    I just hope it's not another Beyond Earth... Seriously, I played that once since release. I won and I am not sure of what I did to win. And I never tried to play it again...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    sparkleavelminsterJuliusBorisovlansounet
    mlnevese said:

I just hope it's not another Beyond Earth... Seriously, I played that once since release. I won and I am not sure of what I did to win. And I never tried to play it again...

I liked Beyond Earth's Tech Web. I hope they have that for Civ6. It allowed two different colonies go in completely different directions when it came research, while still holding a competitive balance. It was more dynamic.

I did not like that you "won" pretty much exactly the same way regardless of which path you chose though.