Skip to content

Is there no end to the trolls & spiders?

I'm running a party through Dragons Eye right now and just entered the second level. Holy trolls and spiders! I found one troll with my thief and lured him back to the group and as we were fighting the one, we were swarmed by trolls and wraith spiders galore. What is the best way to deal with mass attacks like this?

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited May 2016
    Steellord said:

I'm running a party through Dragons Eye right now and just entered the second level. Holy trolls and spiders! I found one troll with my thief and lured him back to the group and as we were fighting the one, we were swarmed by trolls and wraith spiders galore. What is the best way to deal with mass attacks like this?

Lots and lots of fire helps. :) If you can lure one back then throw some fireballs in the direction it came from. While fighting them use Fire Shields, Flame Arrow, Melf's meteors. I like to use Aganazzar's scorcher, sometimes you can hit multiple enemies by targeting one further away. If the mage moves around the side of the line below and targets Troll2 with a scorcher, Troll1 gets hit as well.

------- Fighter Fighter
    Mage -> Troll1 -> Troll2
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I like ranged weapons in this game. Have a few tanks keep them at bay in a choke hold and range the casters to death.
    Bullets and arrows!! MuahahahHah!
    Fireball is my favorite spell for trolls.
    Actually, I think it's my favorite spell for everything.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    All of the above. Always have a fallback plan as well in case you get swarmed.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    @lolien Priceless :lol: You should post it in the meme thread, as well!
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Scouting/stealthing ahead makes a HUGE difference in IWD.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited June 2016
    This is a difficult fight because at this stage of the game your party isn't high level enough to cast interesting spells such as chaos, cloudkill and deal significant amount of damage. So it will be most likely your fighter and range weapon user that will do the job.

You need to find a nice spot like a bridge to take them down one by one.
    If we knew about your party composition, we could help you more.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Usually I'm unable to beat all the trolls in a single battle. Instead, I try to kill as many as possible, then I run away and go back to the previous area, where I rest. After that, I go back in and try to kill some more of them.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Welcome to Dragon's Eye! Here's your troll! :trollface:
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2016
    It is against the site rules, but I might be able to get away with it in this thread. :)

I kid! I kid! :D

• MadaeMadae Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2016
    Heh, this is kind of an old thread, but... This is where I think it's advantageous to have less than 6 party members. More exp for the people you have, but obviously less to work with can be a problem later. I didn't have too much trouble in the second level with my party of 4. My Fighter (Berserker) was able to take the hits while my Cleric kept her alive. My mage had very little to work with, spell wise, as some people suggested in this thread, but Color Spray is a fantastic level 1 spell. I usually send my Fighter into berserk and just throw down spray after spray to take larger groups. As others mentioned, you may want to find favorable ground, somewhere where the enemies are funneled to you. Isn't always an option, so having a healthy, beefy character to take the hits is always a boon. Icewind Dale was made to be a more combat centric game than Baldur's Gate, so it's important to have a well-rounded party with good rolls and the right stats.