Skip to content

Question About Imoen, Levels, and BG2 (Spoilers from the start of BG2)

CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
Ok, let's say I have Imoen in BG and don't dual class her that game.
I dual class her before Irenicus has her hauled off by the Cowled Wizards.
Will she gain levels while waiting for me to rescue her? Assume that one way or another she's a single class thief at the point I dual class her.

Basicly I'm asking if she'll level up as a mage while waiting for me to pick her up in Spellhold. It'd be a crazy way to have Imoen dual classed and not put in the effort of getting her thief levels back.

Comments

• KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Imoen starts as dual-classed, is not something you do. Iirc she will be at a higher level when you rescue her but is a preset value, so if you do each and every quest possible before going to Spellhold you'll be at a higher level and apart from escaping and exploring UD / questing there there won't be much to do to help her catch up in levels.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Well, at the very least I could Shadowkeeper her to reflect her stats at the end of BG, and based on what I've read, I think Tutu makes the game one continuous thing instead of being broken up so hopefully her stats would just carry over.

But you're telling me she only gains a set number of levels between her capture and rescue.
    Yes. Although if you want to, you could shadowkeep her up if she's behind you in XP.
    Right. Though I dislike cheating if there's a real way to go about something.

How would you do it?
    I always did part of the quests / areas available and leveled up to the level she would be, then went and saved her and continued onwards with her. That way she and the rest of the party would have roughly the same XP / level, and you could experience the rest of the game having her in the group and deciding how she advances. Seems a bit pointless to do everything you can before going to Spellhold and leveling / investing in a replacement character (like Nalia for example) only to dump that NPC and pick up Imoen who'd be behind and worse than the party member she just replaced.
    Makes sense. Do you know offhand how many levels she gains? I never took notice.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    In my bg2 low level challenge, Imoen started at lv8 mage lv7 thief. When she was rescued at spellhold, she was lv 11 mage lv7 thief.
    Ahhhh~ Interesting, Hmmm~
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    She's a mage. Scrolls are a license to print XP. Kick everyone out of your group except any romantic partner (it breaks the relationship) and scribe away. If you have multiple copies of the same spell, scribe it, forget it, and scribe it again!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I always thought the scroll thing cheesy, but it never stopped me doing it for some reason anyway. Maybe I just really like virtual cheese as much as I like real one. :)
    I don't have a problem scribing scrolls for xp, but the forgetting and relearning the same ones is a bit much hehehe.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    CaptRory said:

I think Tutu makes the game one continuous thing instead of being broken up so hopefully her stats would just carry over.

That's Baldur's Gate Trilogy, making both games into one continuous thing. Tutu keeps BG1 a separate game, but using the BG2 engine.

Ok, that's cool. Thanks for correcting me.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    considering that you might be around level 15 if you do ALL the chapter 2 quests, taking Imoen as a level 13 mage doesn't sound that bad...
    BTW for those playing a BGT game, Imoen is treated differently from vanilla. Instead of getting a different version with different XP, you get varying quest XP bonus for her when she rejoins. If they gave you a different version of Imoen it would defeat the continuity they aimed for BGT :)

Actually I think it's interesting that if she cast any spell before leaving Irenicus' dungeon it will still be gone when she rejoins.
    Jalily said:

mlnevese said:

Actually I think it's interesting that if she cast any spell before leaving Irenicus' dungeon it will still be gone when she rejoins.

Couldn't get a good night's rest in Spellhold. :(
    That's really, really dark XD
    edited October 2012
    @Jalily This forum really should allow us to both like and agree with a post :)
    edited October 2012
    I hope I'm not the only one who hopes they let me recruit Tiax out of Spellhold in BG2:EE.

(obligatory Tiax Rules All! goes here)
    *hands @sandmanCCL a Tiax for President sign*
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm really useless at handling magic in BG2 and when mage fights take place I never have much of a clue what is going on. So when the battle takes place in Spellhold and all the mad mages start beating up on Irenicus I find myself watching from the sidelines thinking maybe I'm not really cut out for being the hero of this story.

I'm really useless at handling magic in BG2 and when mage fights take place I never have much of a clue what is going on. So when the battle takes place in Spellhold and all the mad mages start beating up on Irenicus I find myself watching from the sidelines thinking maybe I'm not really cut out for being the hero of this story.

Awww~ That makes me feel really sad. =(
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

LOL, I have the same problem.

As much as I love BG2, I sometimes find it very frustrating how so much of the game is predicated on casting or dispelling magic. By contrast, you can own the first game with just a few archers and a lot of poisoned arrows.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

I'm with you there. It's been a long time since I've played SoA, but I do remember being annoyed at the artificial complexity of all the breach/spell turning/spell piercing nonsense. All I want is a guy who can go boom-boom with the fireballs, ya know?

Somehow, a character who can strip away level 3-5 magical protections (but only if it's Tuesday and the enemy mage hasn't cast Weird Spell You Didn't Notice first) ... All of that doesn't seem quite epic.
    Breach pretty much gets rid of everything that is a real hassle. If it's a super high level guy, you might need Spellstrike (the level 9 spell stripping service.)

Next time you fight a mage, drop Breach and if your warriors then can't slap the hell out of him, keep lobbing Remove Magics or whatever til his other spells disappear.
    When I get really frustrated with magic duels, I just allow the BB series scripts to deal with magic combat for me. Works like a charm :)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I think part of my problem is that I just don't really enjoy high-level magic. By the time you reach SoA you have to use so many buffs before you go into battle that your character portrait practically disappears behind little blue symbols.

The only way to survive is to carry all kinds of gear that confers immunities or grants bonuses. I tend to lose interest in the game when I reach the point that I feel like it is my equipment that is winning the battles not my character.

Give Noober a Girdle of Inertial Barrier, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, the Flail of Ages, the Helm of Balduran some fancy armour and as many potions as he can swallow and he could probably kick ass too.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    That's it I'm rolling a character with low stats and naming him Noober. Challenge accepted.
    That's the problem with high level campaigns and it's even worst when it goes to epic levels. The challenges become so absurd you have to question yourself how the Universe still exists. Also you've better not ask yourself what happened to the people who originally created the incredibly powerful itens you're using...