Skip to content

The most cheesy spell of BG2

MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
Cheese is a long, very long topic in BG2.
There are tons of overpowered things, and everyone will have his own opinion on it...

So, let's make a little poll to see which is the spell that the players think the most cheesy of all

NB: it doesn't include Imprisonment, because Imprisonement is only seen as cheesy in the hands of NPC
  1. The most cheesy spell of BG263 votes
    1. Cloudkill (lvl 5)
        4.76%
    2. Improved Haste (lvl 6)
        3.17%
    3. Mislead (lvl 6)
      12.70%
    4. Mordenkanein's Sword (lvl 7)
        1.59%
    5. Project Image (lvl 7)
      26.98%
    6. Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (lvl 8)
        3.17%
    7. Time Stop (lvl 9)
      14.29%
    8. Wish (lvl 9)
        9.52%
    9. Improved Alacrity (HLA)
      14.29%
    10. Secret Power Word: Reload
        9.52%

Comments

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Nothing is Cheesier than myself times two
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    My pick goes to, possibly one of the underdogs: I picked the summon, because it's a summon to end all summons, since the only one that's better is the planetar in the HLA. Tellingly, there are three other summons on that rank that only find (to use a kind term) limited usage.

The damage immunities make this far too god of a tank in situations where magic isn't involved.

Then again, I agree wit Julius, it's just too hard to choose, so I went with one I thought was best at that precise thing what it does. And, IMHO: Planetar > Mordenkainen's > The rest a mage can summon. But then again, I don't see the different varieties of self-cloning as strickt summons, so that might have mislead me. Pun unintended.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    PI is just silly, double your supply of spells, stay out of harms way while casting the bonus spells. Poorly implemented spell imho, I never use it. About as tactical as "force talk".

Simulacrum very very good for mages, feels a tad strong but still ok for level 8. Gets a tad silly for fighter/mages though.

Mislead is also incredibly strong, easy to abuse, OP for sure vs enemies that don't see invis or when coupled with poor AI or SI.

Spell immunity is imho what separates the true heroes from the mere mortals at least without SR (which I do not use).

Improved Alacrity is a true armageddon spell, I kind of like it if you don't abuse PI or wish resting to avoid the drawbacks of it.

Reloading is not cheating, this is a hard game, especially with mods (SCS).

Too liberal use of resting though, that changes gameplay quite a bit. I feel that always fully prebuffing and using every powerful ability and spell for every fight sort of takes the fun out of the game.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    Well, Project Image is completly screwed in terms of implementation in BG2.
    Normaly, each spell cast should remove the spell from it's original spell stock
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't really like the term "cheesy" because of the judgment it implies, but okay. Let's say Project Image.

Project Image isn't so much cheesy, though, as it is conventionally overpowered. Even aside from all the exploits you can do with it (most famously, using Protection from Magic scrolls via the clone without losing the scrolls), it just gives you so many extra high-level spells. The critical disadvantage of the spell is that the caster loses the clone if he or she takes any damage, and the caster is disabled for the duration. I've actually lost a no-reload run because of Project Image, because my character was unable to cast PFMW or run away when a Mind Flayer was attacking them.

I would also vote the Wand of Lightning as the most exploitable item, allowing the player to duplicate any quick slot item or any stackable on-self effect by 6. Sunfire, Mass Cure, Wish, Limited Wish, Mislead, Wondrous Recall, Wail of the Banshee, Holy Word, Mordenkainen's Sword, Called Shot (for Generic Archers from the Tactics mod dual-classed to mages or thieves), Boon of Lathander, Divine Favor, Sunray, the Cloak of Stars, the Efreeti Bottle, the Golem Manual, the Book of Daily Spell, Protection from Magic or Undead scrolls, the Rod of Resurrection, Power Attack, and all manner of potions, scrolls, and wands can all be empowered with the Wand of Lightning. In vanilla, without EE, the WoL can also duplicate Armor of Faith, Blur, Hardiness, Defensive Harmony, Righteous Magic and Spell Immunity.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Project image is really way over the top cheesy perhaps ranked #1 in cheesiness. By itself it is overly cheesy, mix with chain contingency, spell immunity, sequencers, mislead and you have way too much cheesiness, factory cheesiness, godly cheesiness. Imagine multiple images each with your spells plus they ignore the summoning cap. Make your own army of yourself what cheesiness.

Mislead is cheesy for a 6th level spell. Stuff it in a contingency and its really easy to abuse as a starting spell in a battle.

Simulacrum - way cheesy but mostly because of the items it retains - there is a mod that sort of fixes it some you can't use items anymore. Really abused for those fighter>mage duals or mutliclass f/m.

Not on the list is the sequencers, contingencies and triggers - tossing out multiple spells (some with long casting times) all at once has to rank up there in terms of cheesiness.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @Nuin I'm playing through the game as a solo Avenger now and I could hardly agree more with you. Summon Woodland Beings and Insect Plague are gamebreaker.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    "Cheesy" is, naturally, a very subjective term.

The spell that I've seen warp games the most, though, is Improved Haste. It changes so much on so many levels by simply fundamentally changing the balance of combat.

IH no longer doubling APR in Spell Revisions is one big reason (of many) why I love that mod. Double APR is simply way, way, WAY too good.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2016
    PI is downright broken in the original game. With mods it can not use quick slot items but still, it can cast the whole mage book by itself and then some. At the cost of a 7th lvl slot. If the original is protected by spell trap (from Staff of Magi) and your PI hits him with pw:stun, (or finger of death, but that can be slightly dangerous if spell trap expires at the wrong moment) the used up slot for Project Image will even be filled again.
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    @Nuin yeah call Woodland Beings is insane, all my level 4 spell slots are always dedicated to this lovely spell when i play a druid. It has a lot of useful spells which help a lot in the the early game of baldurs gate 2, when you don't have a million spells.

And for baldurs gate 1 I would even go as far to say that at the end of baldurs gate 1 i rather have a druid then a cleric because of this summon.

Even if we would ignore the awesome crowd control spells that it has like hold person/monster you get mass cure which like you already mentioned makes your druid a beast of a healer, i can only say great things about this spell and i am glad somebudy finally mentions this spell.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    It was a close race between PI and Wish for me. I've never really used either spell, but I read about people abusing them all the time.

I agree with @Lord_Tansheron about IH, but as I play with SR installed it isn't as crazy overpowered on my game.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    edited June 2016
    Even with Spell Revisions, Project Image is obscene.

But in vanilla, mislead on a mage/thief isn't fair.
    But we are in the BG2 forum for a reason...
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    well they spoke of Woodlands Being so you'll have to forgive me :wink:
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited June 2016
    The first spell helped me defeating a dragon. Available in wand form too.

well they spoke of Woodlands Being so you'll have to forgive me :wink:

Never! I'm a accuracy freak, so I'm going to bash them too!
    Lack of accuracy is the root of all evils!
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Nahals reckless dweomer....
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I would say PI because it is broken. If it really consumed the memorized spells as it should then it would be fine. However, it is too late to change it now, too many people would scream about it. I just never use it so no problem.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited June 2016
    I'll go with Imprisonment. It's not merely cheesy at the hands of an NPC; it's cheesy at the hands of anyone.

If I were to tell you that I had a spell that kills instantly with no save and ignores magic resistance, would you consider it to be overpowered? I would, but Imprisonment is even better than that, since it's not stopped by Death Ward and it can affect creatures immune to death magic.
    Imprisonment doesn't kill you though.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    mf2112 said:

I know, but it's basically the same thing.

mf2112 said:

True for charname (although it shouldn't be if another char has a Freedom scroll), but for anyone else I use the scroll and keep going.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    mf2112 said:

mf2112 said:

True for charname (although it shouldn't be if another char has a Freedom scroll), but for anyone else I use the scroll and keep going.
    True for charname AND enemies that are not immune to it.
    Arunsun said:

mf2112 said:

mf2112 said:

True for charname AND enemies that are not immune to it.
    I guess you (or some enemy henchman) could cast Freedom and they would be back as-is though? I see it as a bit less cheesy since it is a 9th level spell, can only target one creature, and SI:abjuration or berserking is an effective defense. not sure on the protection from magic scroll but I believe it works too.

The main thing that aggravates me about it is that it kicks the affected party member out of the group and you have to ask them to rejoin? Hello? You were just in the group 30 seconds ago? Mind rejoining? Breaks the romance so I usually restore. It seems to happen almost every time with that stupid Alchra Diagott in the underdark. I usually move the romance partner far out of his range if I can't defend them.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Granted, you can cast Freedom and get them right back--right on top of a pile of 7 traps and an unlimited number of Skull Traps and Delayed Blast Fireballs.