Skip to content

Erephine's 1PP mod is awesome

Tonight I have installed in my BG 2 folder Erephine's 1PP mod for the first time. And it rocks.

I had not checked it out before, and it was a wonderful surprise to me: the spell animations are excellent, the paperdolls are better than the original ones, THE FLAMING SWORD IS BACK AGAIN!, the shields and armours are back to being shields and armours, and not strange metal pieces glued together anymore.

It gave me back the same sense of wonder that I had when I played BG 1 for the first time, curious about every spell effect and every new magical weapon--a sense of wonder that BG 2, though surely far superior in a lot of ways than its predecessor, had lost, for me. I find BG 2 paperdolls, for example, less refined than BG 1 ones, and in general I find the graphics much more streamlined and less fantastic. And THERE ARE NO FLAMING SWORDS, in BG 2.

Erephine made a truly wonderful mod. It alone sparked my interest in playing again BG 2 from the start, and with an excitement I had not had since a long time. I am so happy 1PP is going to be implemented in BG:EE.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    It's being implemented? Wow, I need to keep up with these things. That's great news, though!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2012
    We are on a quest to make the character avatars(animations and armor) from BG1 available as well, as an option(basically to be included in the data). To make things better, the devs were kind enough to fix the crashing issue with BG1 character avatars dual wielding.

So, we're hopeful.

Yes 1pp is a good mod.

Erephine also made Infinity Animations(together with Miloch), the mod that basically allows you to use BG1 character graphics(and more if you wish), in BG2. Most awesome graphical mod ever :P

So we love her :]
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
    edited October 2012
    @Nathan that's great :]

I assume you can't say anything about the other issue yet right? (cough bg1 character animations optional cough :p), since you took the trouble to fix the dual wield crash (thanks for that)!

Oooor maybe an inclusion of infinity animations for the bg1 char sprites too? :p

P.S. I realise that you are very busy at the moment, so even post-ship doing stuff like that is no problem for us. The game and your priorities come first.
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As you say, it's an awesome mod. Minor things in the latest version like the improved cloud effects for spells like horrid wilting, the fire in Aganazzar's Scorcher and the new staff graphics are great as well.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    So the female Gnomes and Dwarves are included? Ace!
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited October 2012
    All this talk about female gnomes and dwarfs has made me think: know what BG2:EE needs, an evil female gnome thief NPC.
    Post edited by Eudaemonium on
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    Also, less mages and a sorcerer instead.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    I started looking at installing this mod once, but I got scared away from it by, what to me, seemed like instructions that were hopelessly beyond my computer skills, and a warning in the readme that you could badly mess up your install if you didn't follow the complicated instructions to the letter.

And, I definitely didn't want to do all that messing around with monster models and character models when I had no idea what I would have been doing.

If BG:EE can implement all the good stuff about the mod, and relieve me of practically needing an associate's degree in computer programming to enjoy it, then that is yet another reason that buying BG:EE was a good decision for me.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @belgarathmth - I know how you feel, the installing method for 1PP used to be a little convoluted, but fortunately, starting with V4 (which is currently available), everything got a lot easier. It's just one install file, and a one-time setup very well-written and documented. It's definitely worth a try if you want to see it before the EE comes out.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1006-1pp-v4-rc/

I agree that Erephine's work is nothing short of awesome. I'm very pleased to see all that effort rewarded by making it part of an official release.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Mornmagor said:

Erephine also made Infinity Animations, the mod that basically allows you to use BG1 character graphics(and more if you wish), in BG2. Most awesome graphical mod ever :P

Thats f#cking awesome!
    edited October 2012

Mornmagor said:

Erephine also made Infinity Animations, the mod that basically allows you to use BG1 character graphics(and more if you wish), in BG2. Most awesome graphical mod ever :P

Thats f#cking awesome!
    Indeed awesome, and also essential for some of us that prefer the BG1 character animations ^_^

Let's hope the devs include the BG1 ones in the data.

(can't imagine myself having to play BG:EE with the BG2 char animations :X)
    edited October 2012
    I'd love to sample Erephine's work. Unfortunately, it is still giving me tech problems galore. She suggests looking at a video for her new v. 1.4. When I try to click on her video, I get asked for a password. Huh?

I guess that I am going to have to hope for a good BG:EE and BG2:EE implementation of her work, because the mods she has posted just don't work for anybody who doesn't have very high skills in computer manipulation.

EDIT: Yup, I just downloaded her mod and attempted to install in my Gog.com/Baldur's Gate II directory. After the first fail, which said "please open in your Infinity Game directory, I moved it there. Again, fail. "Cannot find dialog.tlk" or some such.

This is a bad mod, technically speaking. It's very user-unfriendly. I'm sorry, but it is. I've tried to install it a bunch of times over the past few years, and I always get stopped with tech issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2012
    @Shandyr, LOL. I wish I knew, friend. Obviously, many, many people have successfully installed Erephine's work, and have enjoyed it. "The fault, dear Horatio, lies within ourselves".

Perhaps BG:EE will give me the "golden ticket" I need to see what others are calling a very ingenious feat of modding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shandyr, well, thanks for giving me that, but it hardly dispels my complaint of "huh"? Does Erephine want people to watch her video and play with her mod, or not? So far, and I really don't mean any ill will in any way towards anybody at all, and especially not toward Erephine, but I have been stopped at every turn in trying to install her mod by tech issues.

I guess I will have to wait for BG:EE before I can see what the hype for Erephine's graphical enhancements is about.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156

EDIT: Yup, I just downloaded her mod and attempted to install in my Gog.com/Baldur's Gate II directory. After the first fail, which said "please open in your Infinity Game directory, I moved it there. Again, fail. "Cannot find dialog.tlk" or some such.

Did you have the game running when you did this? I got the cannot find dialog.tlk message before with dalekeeper, it went away when I closed the game.
    @Kaxon, thanks for trying to help. No, of course, I did not have the game running when I attempted to install the Erephine mod.

I can, with my limited computer skills, think of at least a few reasons why this might happen: Perhaps Norton Utilities is doing one of its notorious anti-virus attacks on a harmless file. Perhaps Erephine has failed to see some nit-picker issue or the other with the gog.com version of the game. Perhaps I have some kind of write-protection active that I don't know about. Perhaps gog.com has "fatal" write-protections active on their version of the dialogue.tlk. (I know that their version is normally very mod-friendly, but not with Erephine's mod.)

Perhaps I have some background program or the other running that is not compatible with Erephine's mod. Perhaps I have mods installed on my gog.com BG2 directory already that are incompatible.

Regardless of whether one of these hypotheses is true, or not, I have consistently had technical problems every time I have tried to enjoy Erephine's work.

If BG:EE removes these obstacles toward my finally getting to see what the "Erephine hype" is all about, then I will have my decision to buy it reinforced.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    That's really strange. I've been using 1pp for years and never had any trouble installing.

I have not tried the new v4 as I don't want to reinstall the game right now as I'm in the middle of SoA, but I will after I finish my current playthrough.

Have you tried running the BG2 fixpack before installing it?
    @mlnevese, it's entirely possible that I have some kind of installation-order issue going on. I'm not really up for doing a new install, though. Thankfully, it looks like I'll get to try the enhancements, or at least some of them, in BG:EE. I wish we could get the option to use the BG1 avatars, though.
    edited October 2012
    @belgarathmth as you know, there is whooole story behind us requesting the optional use of BG1 animations(avatars).

If anything, the fact that BG1 character avatars are fixed by the devs( and no longer crash the game when dual wielding), is a hopeful indication that they will include them in BG:EE as an option.

We can only hope they fullfill our request.
    edited October 2012
    I believe a developer already said BG1 art will be included. I want to say Nathan,but I'm not sure.

BTW for anyone trying to install an art mod as 1pp or Infinity animations, it's a good rule to make them one of the last installs, something like fixpack - all mods you want - art - widescreen will save you a lot of headache :)
    edited October 2012
    @mlnevese are you sure about that?

I've never seen any developer confirm it, and every time someone asks we never get an answer. You can understand my concern.

I seriously want to believe it, but i'm pretty sure no one said it yet.

If anything, AndreaColombo would be the first to know i'm sure, as he is even more passionate about BG1 models than me i think :p
    @Mornmagor Yes I'm quite sure I saw a posting by Nathan recently saying that but can't find it in the forums. Either I'm wrong or the search function in the forum is really bad :)
    mlnevese said:

@Mornmagor Yes I'm quite sure I saw a posting by Nathan recently saying that but can't find it in the forums. Either I'm wrong or the search function in the forum is really bad :)

Damnit i want to believe but i'm such a skeptic sometimes until i see evidence.

I would tag Nathan to confirm or deny, but if he wanted to answer he would have done so in the previous tag of the thread, so i take it as a no >_>
    I'll try to find it later, but I may be mistaken.
    @mlnevese don't worry about it, if you're right, we rejoice, if you're wrong, well it happens :p

In the end, i see indications of them including the animations, the dual wield fix for example, and it's not that big of a deal, it is 40 megabytes, practically nothing.

But then again, we asked a lot, if they intended to include them, why not answer? They would just say "we intend to do it". End of the story, end of the questions, and for the "anxiety" for us.

Oh well, whatever.