Skip to content

Kuo-Toan and Paralytic Bolts

I tried searching around for this and maybe I'm not good at the whole "search" thing, but I didn't see exactly the same topic discussed, so I'll go ahead and boldly ask =)

In BG2, I've always tossed the Kuo-Toan and Paralytic (Sahuagin) Bolts since they have no enchantment level and there are quite a lot of them after the Underdark.

But based on a few hints here and there I get a feeling I may be missing something:
  1. Situational: perhaps these bolts are effective in otherwise tough encounters with creatures who cast Protection from Magic Weapons but then neglect to cast Protection from Normal Weapons or Protection from Normal Missiles?
  2. Base damage: Most bolts have a base damage of 1D8. Kuo-Toan and Paralytic bolts go up to 2D6 and 1D10. Is that ever enough to really make a difference?
  3. Savings throws: Kuo-Toan and Paralytic bolts require a save versus spell or save versus paralysis respectively. Perhaps this makes a difference?
  4. Launcher: Firetooth (from Sister Garlena at Watcher's Keep) fires +4 enchanted ammo (unless you put other ammo in it). The Army Scythe (formerly Crossbow of Speed, from Bernard in the Copper Coronet) adds an extra attach per a round. I'm actually torn between the two.
  5. Alternatives: Maybe it's better not to use crossbows at all and use (say) shortbows instead? This is another topic I realize. To be honest, Imoen is my primary crossbow user, but most of the time she has Melf's Minute Meteor's equipped which so far seem superior. I mainly just wanted one character to burn down the stockpile of crossbow ammo.
  6. Ammo: I should have paid more attention, but I now realize that most bolts have no enchantment including Bolts of Biting and Bolts of Lightening. I always assumed these are better than Kuo-Toan and Paralytic bolts. I guess Bolts of Lightening at least do some lightening damage if the target makes a save versus breath.
Sorry for the verbosity! Any insight into these bolts or crossbows and how to use them in general would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Thank you all for the great responses. I guess this means the bolts will not get through "protection from magic weapons" if they count as +1 enchanted bolts.

@semiticgod nice tip on using enchant weapon. I take it you apply this to a stack of bolts? I will try it out, I have never played around with enchant weapon but this makes a lot of sense.

Okay, this is weird, look at the stats after having Imoen cast enchant weapon on my main char

Wow, I had Imoen cast "Enchant Weapon" on the main character and the THAC0 went insanely negative at least in the character sheet (like -48496641 for the Koa-Toan bolts...).

Is this a known issue?

I can't manage to attach an image (I get "The file failed to upload." messages), sorry about that.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Wow, I had Imoen cast "Enchant Weapon" on the main character and the THAC0 went insanely negative at least in the character sheet (like -48496641 for the Koa-Toan bolts...).

Well, that's bizarre. Enchanted Weapon isn't supposed to improve your THAC0 at all, I don't think. I thought it just made all weapons that one character might use strike as if they were +3 (unless they were already higher than +4). That is, it let you hit Iron Golems with Darts of Stunning or Ardulia's Fall (you could switch back and forth, and both would strike as +3), but wouldn't benefit you at all if you were fighting an ogre or a Mind Flayer, who have no such weapon immunities.
    Well, this could be a glitch. Unfortunately I can't post a screen shot as the "attach" fails with a message: "The file failed to upload."

Bah... I'll try to get something reproducible for redmine.

Imoen is wielding the crossbow so the reality is that she spends most of her time use Melf's Minute Meteors and falls back on the crossbow occasionally. The end result is that she doesn't use the crossbow that much since MMM is so superior (i.e. so spammable...).

I should probably be playing with SCS which I know nerfs MMM appropriately.
  • JouniJouni Member Posts: 50

Imoen is wielding the crossbow so the reality is that she spends most of her time use Melf's Minute Meteors and falls back on the crossbow occasionally. The end result is that she doesn't use the crossbow that much since MMM is so superior (i.e. so spammable...).

I don't think I've ever used Melf's Minute Meteors. Every non-mage in the party already has a decent ranged weapon. Having a mage spend a valuable level 3 slot for a few rounds of higher damage output doesn't really add anything to the capabilities of the party. Better to use those slots for useful area-of-effect spells, such as Fireball, Skull Trap, Dispel/Remove Magic, Haste, or Slow.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Jouni said:

I don't think I've ever used Melf's Minute Meteors. Every non-mage in the party already has a decent ranged weapon. Having a mage spend a valuable level 3 slot for a few rounds of higher damage output doesn't really add anything to the capabilities of the party. Better to use those slots for useful area-of-effect spells, such as Fireball, Skull Trap, Dispel/Remove Magic, Haste, or Slow.

Melf Minute Meteors strike at a +5 weapon, give the mage 5 attacks/round and do decent missile and fire damage (getting though Stoneskin). Until enemy mages are high-level enough to spam Pfmw it's going to rip through them like they're made out of paper. Not to mention, the meteors never disappear until thrown or dispelled.

It's one of the best level 3 spells for any back row mage.
  • JouniJouni Member Posts: 50
    Kurona said:

Melf Minute Meteors strike at a +5 weapon, give the mage 5 attacks/round and do decent missile and fire damage (getting though Stoneskin). Until enemy mages are high-level enough to spam Pfmw it's going to rip through them like they're made out of paper. Not to mention, the meteors never disappear until thrown or dispelled.

It's one of the best level 3 spells for any back row mage.

The spell makes the mage a decent ranged fighter for a few rounds. Most of the time that's just a waste of level 3 spells. The party already has more than enough ranged fighters, and a 10-20% increase in total damage output doesn't matter. It's much better to use the spell slots for something that the other characters can't do.
    Well, I can say that the meteors are OP at medium levels. SCS definitely takes care of this problem by making them +2 weapons instead of +5 weapons.

Next time around I may install SCS and tough it out =)