Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Finally an ignore feature!

13»

Comments

• ShandyrShandyr Member Posts: 8,263
    edited December 2017
    I have now updated my other script as well. The one with which you can ignore forum members.

Update Version 2:

The tag "@Shandyr" will be replaced now with "@blockedUser" if you put "Shandyr" on ignore - however "@blockedUser" will NOT be a link anymore. It will be plain text.

On polls that are not anonymous you can see little icons of who voted for what. The icons of ignored forum members will no longer be displayed on public polls!

You can find the latest version of my user ignore script here.

@Troodon80
    Thanks again for your help with the tag-issue. Yeah it's been over a year... ;)
    And finally I implemented that functionality based on your code!

MirandelTroodon80
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 497
    Thank you sooo much! You are my personal hero! Leaving now to add both (very, VERY useful) scripts to Greasemonkey (it's still alive and working!). Can not wait to see "Recent Discussions" now!

Shandyr
    edited December 2017
    Hmm Greasemonkey doesn't work for me anymore for some reason on Firefox. It has been that way since Firefox made their big update. So I use Tampermonkey on Firefox now too. Just as what you would use on Chrome anyway.

If anything does not work as intended let me know. In some way, you are beta testers ;)

It works! Oh, it works! How beautiful forum looks like without all clatters!

Added Off Topic to the Thread script and one random topic from another forum to the first list of the same script - both work without any problem.

You are right about Greasemonkey - it's can not be used. It works as a script-runner, but you can not edit any script or write it anew inside. So, Tempermonkey it is!

Thank you again!!!

Shandyr
    @Mirandel

There is one more way to clean up the "Recent Discussions" page. It's cluttered with announcements. A lot of them!

I have found there is a feature called "Dismiss". I only discovered it today. I have never seen that before.
    Let me show you:

By clicking on "Dismiss" the announcement vanishes. Though I'm not sure where to. You would think to the subforum, yes. It is still there too, but.. You can also dismiss announcements in subforums.
    I have no idea where the announcement thread goes to then O_o

I also don't know if announcement threads would come back if someone made a new post in such a thread.

Mirandel
    edited December 2017
    Maybe "dismiss" simply detaches an announcement thread so that it's not always at the top. And the thread will then be sorted just like any other thread. I'm not sure. I'm also not sure how to reverse the "dismiss" operation.

That trick I learned some time ago, but it's always useful to remind about such things. (Was disappointed at the point of discovery that not all topics have such a useful feature :) )

Shandyr
    The problem is you cannot undo "dismiss" :flushed:

I have dismissed all announcements now from "Recent Discussions" even the site rules xD
    I just wanted to test the function.

And now, all announcements are detached o_o
    Bummer.

No way of undoing it.

@JuliusBorisov HELP! How can I undo a "dismiss" on an announcement?

edited January 2018
    I corrected a small error on my thread ignore script. It would not only affect the recent discussion page but also a thread that was in an ignored subforum. If you went into such a thread then the opening post would be invisible. I have corrected that now. So feel free to update to version 2 of that script :)

If you update the script do not forget to save your custom ignore lists first. So you can easily copy and paste them later on into the updated script.

Updated, thanks! Auto-updates in Tempermonkey are a bit iffy, but I think I'll develop a habit to update everything manually from time to time.

Question: is it possible to hide specific language forums if there are more sub-forums in it? As if French, for example. I do not speak French and would like to hide all "fr" subforums, but some of them named the same way as English forums with the only difference in address.

It's not a problem! They are not that active to clutter "Recent discussions". It's really just a question out of curiosity.

Shandyr
    Mirandel said:

Question: is it possible to hide specific language forums if there are more sub-forums in it? As if French, for example. I do not speak French and would like to hide all "fr" subforums, but some of them named the same way as English forums with the only difference in address.

It's not a problem! They are not that active to clutter "Recent discussions". It's really just a question out of curiosity.

That is possible, but as you have pointed out and as I have already said the problem is that the names are the same. So we can only go by the address (URL). And that should work.

I would have to make yet another list, and in that list you would have to enter the URL of the subforum that you'd like to ignore. It's not so nice to handle for the user to copy the URL into such a list in a script, but the URL is the only thing that distinguishes the subforums with the same name.

At the moment, sadly, I don't have time for this. I'll check back in, in a few weeks or months, sorry.

Mirandel
    Nothing to be sorry about! You improved that forum so much already, asking for more is a pure greed :) If that option ever makes it's way into the script - it will be just an unexpected gift.

ShandyrStummvonBordwehr
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 141
    LOL, you can't be serious...facepalm

oh, there is an ignore option! what a relief. then maybe you should start using the ignore option instead of harassing me with your brain damaging "warnings"?

/throws some salt over the shoulder, breaks the mirror, pets the cat, grabs the 6d696c66 by the broom .....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!/

edited January 2018
    InKal said:

LOL, you can't be serious...facepalm

oh, there is an ignore option! what a relief. then maybe you should start using the ignore option instead of harassing me with your brain damaging "warnings"?

/throws some salt over the shoulder, breaks the mirror, pets the cat, grabs the 6d696c66 by the broom .....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!/

@InKal

I am not sure how to interpret your post. A part of me thinks you may be making fun of me or my ignore scripts. But I am not sure.

Anyway, as I have stated in the opening post:
    "Now this thread is NOT meant to discuss the ethics of an ignore feature.
    There are advantages and disadvantages. I do NOT want them to be discussed here.
    Please make a seperate thread for that if you are interested in that."

So this thread is intended for the technical aspects of my ignore feature. If you disagree with using an ignore feature in general then please make a new thread where you can discuss that. Or you can post in this thread.

I have also made clear in the OP, that I think that you can make someone uncomfortable WITHIN the Site Rules. So no, just because there is an ignore feature, you cannot do whatever you want. The Site Rules still apply and are enforced by the moderators, like @semiticgod, for example.

The ignore feature is to be intended for the cases where people feel uncomfortable about other people but no Site Rules have been broken.

semiticgodMirandel
  • semiticgodsemiticgod Member, Moderator Posts: 13,334
    InKal said:

Warnings are given to enforce the Site Rules. Moderators don't "ignore" people breaking the Site Rules.

JuliusBorisovmlnevese
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 896