Skip to content

Workaround for SCS and v2.0+

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
As many of us have noticed, Sword Coast Stratagems is not fully compatible with versions 2.0 (or is it 2.1?) of the games and above. There is a hotfix that fixes the problem in some cases but not in others. While we wait (or maybe just hope) for a solution, @semiticgod has found a workaround that is not perfect, but works. You just copy the relevant files from the game folder of someone who has managed to install SCS.

Unfortunately, this method doesn't allow you to customize your installation. It's a love it or leave it workaround. You either get all the components in this installation or you get nothing. I hope that other people who have managed to install SCS successfully will also share their files, thus giving us more options.

Stuff included

The files I provide here are the ones @semiticgod uploaded for me. They include the folllowing:
  • Most components of SCS. You won't have maximum-strength everything, but it's basically all the hardest difficulty settings. Dragons will have hundreds upon hundreds of HP, Planetars will have instant-casting spells, Beholders will steal the Cloak of Mirroring and Shield of Balduran, Mind Flayers will use extra psionic powers, and all enemy spellcasters will use pre-buffs and also HLAs if they're high enough level. Some components that are NOT included:
    • Give True Sight the ability to prevent magical blindness.
    • Move the Robe of Vecna into Throne of Bhaal.
    • Move the Cloak of Mirroring into Throne of Bhaal.
  • Ascension with all its components.
  • A very handy mini mod called Jimfix. It warns you when buffs are about to expire.
This is an English installation. Most likely it won't work with other languages.

Installation

1. Optional: Make a copy of your Vanilla game folder outside the Program Files folder. Follow the next steps in that new folder. That way you keep your Vanilla game in case something goes wrong and also use a path which is more mod friendly. If you do the copy, you'll have to start the game from the new folder, of course.
  2. Unpack the archives stratagems, stratagems_external and override in your main game folder.
  3. Unpack the archive dialog(1) in the subfolder \lang\en_US of your game folder. When prompted whether you want to overwrite the dialog.tlk file, say yes.
Hope this helps.
Post edited by Alonso on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @subtledoctor: I too would recommend people try the normal method first. But if I didn't have this "transplant" method, I wouldn't have SCS.

I have indeed tried literally everything else, including multiple totally clean installs, in different folders, with and without the hotfix, and other tiny adjustments I can't remember. Transplanting @Blackraven's install was the one and only thing that worked for me--out of many, many attempts to get it to work.

I think my problem started after installing Spell Revisions and Item Revisions. But even after removing every trace of SR and IR from my computer, the problem was still there. So I'm not sure if SR or IR had anything to do with it. My best guess is that there's something in the Steam cloud messing it up.

But I can't reach those files to test that theory. Online guides to deleting cloud files told me to find certain folders which turned out to not actually exist on my computer, even when I found the right place. Like going to find page 394 of a textbook, and seeing nothing between 390 and 400.

I don't know what the problem really is, but it can't hurt to have an extra option. This thread isn't for people who are first installing SCS; it's for people who have tried everything else. It's a workaround.

Long story short, I did the same thing you did--install SCS v30 on a clean install of EE 2.3 with the hot fix, with all other mods and all other files uninstalled, removed, and deleted--and I had a different result.

The weird thing is that the hotfix worked for me once. I remember being delighted when I saw it work. Then, later on, the problem came back, and the hotfix no longer solved the problem.

If your install options differ from @Alonso's above, could you post your override, stratagems, stratagems_external, and dialog.tlk files here?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

Weidu is pretty good at uninstalling stuff - especially when you consider the delicate nature of how mods are installed into this game - but it's not perfect.

In the original game there is an easy way to reset the game to vanilla state if you have a backup for the original override folder and Baldur.exe file.
    In EE is possible to do something similar?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Thanks.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    I apologize if this is mentioned somewhere on the forums (I looked but couldn't find it): is there somewhere on the forums to access the SCS download besides the G3 website (which is currently not functioning)?