Skip to content

Marvel themed party

Contemplating a party modelled after heroes from the Marvel Universe. Some options have obvious parallels: Hawkeye would be a human archer using longbows, Ironfist would be a human monk, Gambit strikes me as a teifling fighter/theif with staves and throwing weapons, Wolverine as a dwarven berserker dual wielding daggers or katanas. Oh and Doctor Strange, Earth's Sorcerer Supreme? A no brainer.

Captain America would be a paladin, but since I couldn't seem to find a way to weaponize shields I'm thinking I wont use him. Can't think of many good options for priests though. I could jusify Storm as a druid or shaman with her control of the weather, anyone got other ideas?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I think that Doctor Strange would be a mage, since his magical skills were taught by a mentor, instead of instinctively developed.

The black widow is quite the candidate for a thief/rogue position;
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    You could have Thor as a Human Fighter or Barbarian and use Warhammers. An Avenger kit dualed to a fighter could work as well so he can cast lightning bolt/call lightning, but then he wouldn't be able to use Warhammers...

You could EEKeeper a half-orc monk that uses berserk and call it Hulk :wink:
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2016
    The Martyr kit from this mod may work for Captain America:a most defensively oriented kit that can use a shield bash!
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=171&Itemid=119

The mod works on bg2:ee 1.3, with a small tweak, I had to edit CLS 2da file to add the kit as available to human race, for some compatibility reason the mod fails to do so you can't select the kit normally upon installing. After that it works. I dunno about v2.0+

Hawkseye is the easiest, as you said. Human archer, neutral good, grandmastery in longbows, str 18/xx something (but lower than Captain America) 18 (or illegal 19) dex and 16+ con.

Black Widow may be a neutral good kensai dualled into thief:she never wears armor, is extremely agile, and deadly in melee. She can't use ranged weapons but can use wands of magic missiles, a sub for handgun.

I make Hawskeye and Black Widow neutral good, for they can function well on their own but also in a group, and they understand each other well.

For Ironman, eekeeper the Big Metal Unit and its weaponry on a chaotic good regular human thief or fighter (With 18 int, and low wisdom and 16+ charisma) and use it all the time. He is chaotic good (with some lingering neutral tendencies) because, well, DUH! Thief also makes sense because he is tech-savy and can deal with traps/locks and all sorts of electronic thingies.

Scarlet Witch just screams chaotic neutral wild mage. Or, if you have the mod, wild sorcerer! Chaos rules!

Hulk (in permanent Hulk form) really needs to be a true neutral (eekeeper) monk with 25 strength. Hulk is no Rasaad clone. Is true neutral with low int, and wisdom and charisma. May even have barbarian resistances and backstab immunity, if possible with eekeeper. And a rage ability of sorts, 1/day like Minsc's so he can be uncontrallable sometimes. Needs a lot of tweak this guy!

Ironman and Hulk would be OP in regular play, but fun for a wacky LoB run maybe?

Thor may be a lawful good aligned, tanky (str dex con full) Talos priest. It makes no sense in-game but with eekeeper it is possible, he can wield hammers, and release lightnings, and has 'god' like given powers as cleric spells. With DUHM he can be very strong, too.

His counterpart Loki would be a chaotic evil (eekeeper) Jester, spreading chaos and strife whereever he goes. Has all the illusion/enchantment magic and tricks. In a direct melee fight, no match for Thor. Two in the same party makes little sense but can be fun to play.

Such themed parties are fun. I once even tried a Buffy party, her being a tough as nails Undead Hunter, ofcourse! She can tackle all the vampires all night! Willow wild mage, Oz shapeshifter, etc. so much fun!
    Post edited by lunar on
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Had a great discussion on this awhile back and will post the link below

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44473/superhero-mainstream-team-builds-for-black-pits-iwd#latest

@dr_muds had some great input and maybe he has done some of these playthorughs we came up with...Im still going through my SOD runs so still have to try my x-men one out!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    An old discussion on other media themed parties: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/26874/themed-all-pc-party-builds/p1
  • GoatBoySteveGoatBoySteve Member Posts: 50
    Been busy with work, binge reading the Marvel Wiki, and tinkering with NearInfinity... but there are some interesting ideas on here and on the posted links.

I can't see Hulk as a monk, his fighting style is fuelled by rage and strength, not martial prowess. If I wasn't using NearInfinity I'd probably make him a half-orc barbarian (reflects his less skill oriented fighting style, plus his rage speficially increases strength), give him mace/bastardsword and shield and use art from Planet Hulk. If I DID use NearInfinity I'd make a custom shapeshift innate spell that would turn a human into a green golem (an actual nickname of Hulk) or an ogre perminently. And I agree that Black Widow would be a theif, my first thought was Shadowdancer fit a master spy, but I don't hate the idea of figher>theif. Not kensai though, she's WAY too connected to ranged weapons in my mind for that. Really liked the ideas for Cap, Ironman, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch though! (I'd probably even make a kit where not only is she a wild socerer, but all her spells are red, just because I can!)

After reading lunar and the good doctor's discussion I'm tempted to make a Buffy party too! lol. I agree with the doc on most stuff related to the Buffy party. I see where people get split is often what fits the core of a character VS what most accurately represents their skillset. Xander is a jester in that he's both a wise cracker and a support character, that's his core, but it doesn't represent his actual skillset. Personally, I'm all about the core. For me it'd be Undead Hunter Buffy, Shapeshifter Oz, Berserker Angel (edited to Vamp), Jester Xander, Theif>Wild Mage Willow, and... Priest of Talos Caleb! LOL. IDK about the last one, but I DO love Nathan Fillion...

The Batman party discussion got me thinking too, I like the idea of Nightwing as a stalker, but using clubs instead of maces. Batons are a type of club for one and also because you can't backstab with maces. But the idea of Poison Ivy as a druid got me really thinking. Maybe give her a shambling mound summon via NearInfinity... oh, throw in Catwoman as a fighter/theif with a custom fist weapon that does slashing damage and Harley Quinn as a jester with cheated max two weapon style (no giant hammers, she's gotta compensate by using two!) and you've got the Gotham City Sirens. Question is, do I keep it villanous with Lynx as kensai, Madame Zodiac as mage, and Talia al Gul as an assassin? Or two I mix it up with Batgirl as a monk, Huntress as an archer and Zatana as a socerer?

Okay, so I know, TL;DR, but now onto what I'm actually doing! I've decided to go full X-Men. Initially I was thinking Wolverine as a dwarven berserker (mountain dwarves can be about 5' 3", plus Wolvie is as dour and tacturn as any dwarf) using daggers, Gambit as a fighter/theif with staffs and throwing weapons, Storm as an Avenger kit druid, Phoenix as a DD, Nightcrawler as a swashbuckler, and I was strongly leaning toward Jubilee... maybe as a monk? I mean, she's a vampire now (which is doable on BG now), mostly goes weaponless and while she isn't a master at hand to hand, neither is a level 1 monk. LOL.

Now I'm considering replacing Wolverine with Magik, mostly because I just did an evil run though with Korgan and thought a fighter/mage might be more interesting and add some spellpower to my group. I think I might make a custom kit for Storm giving her more of the weather related mage spells (chilling touch, stinking cloud, lightening bolt, ice storm, etc). Part of me wants to make her a shaman instead of a druid too, though I'm not sure which is more honest to the character, shaman would allow her to use Gesen which means she'd be shooting lightening even when using her weapon! I've already made a verson of dimension door that uses a puff of smoke as its animation, only works in line of sight and can be used infinitely for Nightcrawler. I was thinking of making a spell with permanent duration that adds explossive damage to weapons and turns them fuschia for Gambit. And a sunlight bending Forgiven amulet for Jubilee... I'd love to make Magik's soulsword, but it might be kind of overpowered in the Forgotten Realms... woohoo for NearInfinity!
    F**k... that was even longer than I thought. :O
    Also, @brunardo, take back the hurtful and untrue things you said about kensai as a single class! My recent evil run was with a half-orc kensai and he ruled! Even without armor spells he had enough HP to handle the hits, plus he could use rings of protection that most of my guys couldn't because of their armor. By ToB he had a resting AC of -4 and could drink a potion of defense and be at -14. He also had 24 STR, 22 CON and 5 ATP at that point, a beast I tell you! A beast! lol
    lol ok @GoatBoySteve i agree, Ive done some research and the half-orc kensai can beast mode it and yes that was a lot of info but all of it I thought about too (considered an avengers run similar).
    I like Magik and she works but cant replace wolverine hes a must in any xmen run and storm too but druid or shaman works with her too...jubilee's a vampire now?
    and why would anyone consider jubilee?? she's like the weakest xman ever?
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    If anyone is a Shadowdancer its Nightcrawler. I mean, BAMF right there! I might cheat for two points in Longsword and two in Single Weapon but otherwise that's a cut and dry case.
    Jubilee WAS the weakest. Though they tried to supe her up by saying her fireworks were actually "plasmoids" and that they detonated matter at a subatomic level, making them like tiny nukes. Also that she, being able to control their movement, could theoretically send one into an enemies ear and destroy their brain from the inside. Readers weren't biting.

Later, when Scarlet Witch's powers went nutso (M-Day) and depowered 91.4% of the mutant population Jubs was one of them. She would later return in a powersuit going by the name Wondra. As Wondra she had flight, force fields, super strength and intangibility.

Not sure what happened to the powersuit, but eventually she was bitten by the son of Dracula and is now a vampire. A vampire group called The Forgiven help her kick the human blood habit and sustain herself on animal blood. She also adopts an orphaned infant, befriends X-23 and does a run of a comic called Wolverine and Jubilee where for a change it's Wolverine helping Jubilee with HER violent urges. LOL.

You know she looks tight!
    @PK2748 I could definitely see that, what with his powers involving traveling through another plane. But he is also a master fencer, capable of wielding a sword with both hands, his feet and even his tail... one fits his abilities, the other his skills, I'd call both fair approximations.
    lol thats hilarious, powersuit to twilight! just kill her off like they did with elektra...should off x-23 too while at it
    I thought about shadow dancer too for nightcrawler...it works but went for bard or prefer swash/mage but want elf and cant do that with out eekeeper...
    Did you know X-23 is the current Wolverine? Logan is dead. As is Professor X. For now anyway.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    I'm actually doing a play through with a "Thor" type PC. I started with a priest of Talos and dualed to a fighter at level 6. He's got 5 pips in warhammers, 5 in flails, 2 in single weapon and I'll focus on maces next for him to use the Stormstar(? the mace from Watcher's Keep..). He's actually super fun to play. Tanky with Storm shield and deals loads of damage. Plus it's a nice touch throwing out lightning bolts from time to time. The only downside is that he's evil alignment which doesn't really fit Thor, but overall he's pretty close!
    Yeah I hear about that @GoatBoySteve but didnt know was replaced by cheesy X-23...uggh theyre running out of ideas
    IDK, I kind of like how crazy everything has been lately. Doc Oc taking over Spider-Man's body, Amadeus Cho becoming the Hulk, Cyclops coming around to Magneto's way of thinking, Kitty Pryde chilling in space with the Guardians of the Galaxy, it's been interesting. I imagine everything will return to business as usual to some degree eventually, but I haven't read comics this actively in years.
    Doc ock is spiderman lol awesome...heard about the cyclops thing that I like!
    Yeah, the run was called The Superior Spider-Man, he even tried to play the part of the hero. He was shit at it, shot a dude at one point. lol
    lol awesome
    edited January 2018
    Okay, over a year later, finally doing my theme party. Now it's an all girl DC party. Batgirl, Katana, Huntress, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman.

I've picked out classes, proficiencies, portraits, now I'm thinking stats. Thoughts? I feel like most (Ivy excluded) will have DEX between 16 and 18. Cat high on the CHA, Ivy higher. Bat, Ivy and Harley all high INT (I believe they all have PhDs), but HOW high? I think I'm struggling the most with STR and CON scores... but really any thoughts would be helpful.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2018
    At least by the actresses Hollywood portrays these characters with, I'd have a hard time assigning any of those you've chosen with a strength above 13 or 14. If you want a real fighter go with Brienne of Tarth whom I'd give a 17 or low 18 to.

Constitution could be anything really. None are sickly so I wouldn't go lower than 10. Poison Ivy may have picked up some poison resistance so I might give her the highest of the bunch.
    Thats a great party build @GoatBoySteve and thought about it
    BatGirl - monk, Ivy - Druid, Quinn - Jester, Huntress - Archer, Cat - Thief...not sure on Katana but maybe kensai?
    not too worried about STR..but Con score is important.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I would see Batgirl as more of a fighter/rogue than a monk, or maybe a stalker. I'm pretty sure her costume would count as studded leather.
    Brunardo! Spot on. I made Catwoman an elven fighter/thief (she has dexterity verging on super human and can seriously mix it up). I waffled between Katana being a Kensai or Fighter, went with the latter because she's basically a samurai (plus I needed a tank). Was toying with making a samurai kit with modding tools, but got lazy. lol

Fardragon, it's arguable. Especially depending on which Batgirl, but I'm playing Barbara Gordon. She has black belts in multiple martial arts and more often than not fights unarmed (and with throwing weapons). Compared to someone like Nightwing who is iconically linked to dual wielding clubs she seems less Stalker and more Monk. Oh, plus Stunning Blow is reminiscent of Batgirl's stun guns.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    If you ever want to do an XMen themed party, check out this site.

http://natehallinan.com/orderofx/
    Balrog99, Barbara Gordon has multiple black belts and was a star athlete in school... She may not look it, but she's strong. Wikis say she is in "Peak Physical Condition". Batman is more fit, but his strength when he pushes himself dips slightly into superhuman territory (just barely). Katana is also said to be in peak condition. Catwoman is described as a "gifted and accomplished athlete" with mastery of multiple martial arts. And Harley swings that big ass hammer around like it's nothing. LOL.