Skip to content

Best mage (single or multi) across the series

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @semiticgod spider gnome trick?
    As I play also not EE can you please explain to me how it works? I would like to give it a try...
    @semiticgod did they nerfed that trick in EE v2? How sad, I did not know it.
    I did not read your topic about the party of spyders, and I will read it with great pleasure, but I read the one about Kangaxx. So I did know how marvelous are the flashers, used on a weak critter, that you can summon yourself and turn hostile, like also every wise druid do with the insect spell, and about the using shocking grasp to dispel the shapeshifted weapon. They are wonderful and I tank you for discovering and sharing them with us.
    Myself discovered (but probably are things also used by other players, discovered because I did not read about them but found them in my experimentation) the use of polymorphed Aerie, even if I use it mainly with the troll form from the cloak, DW FoA in the off hand, to have regeneration, 5 APR and 1 attack per round with FoA. I wander if the last has also been nerfed, I must test about that.

About that merchant I know him, is an important part of my RP compatible easy money strategy, as I avoid to sell and steal multiple times the same item with a fence, but allow myself to do it a single time for every fence. I have also little problem getting almost any pre ToB scroll early, as I allow myself to reload and fight multiple times the battles with the cowed wizards, the only self given rule that I use is that I can fight the same battle multiple times, to get a good loot, until a party member is killed. If I win every time I take the best loot, but if I loose (even a single not permanently dead party member is regarded as loosing) I reload and pay the CW. In the present run I have in chap2 2 mordy scrolls, 1 trigger, 2 ADHW, 2 PI and other minor but quite rare scrolls like the minor sequencer, and still no one at a level high enough to cast them...
    I even refused as loot an arrow of detonation, that used by the FMT's simulacrum using assassination can clear large groups of enemies in almost all the late game battles.

I recently discovered that in EE (this is my first run with it) also the trick to steal from Tolgerias a certain ring has been nerfed, and I suppose that also the same trick with a certain demi lich has been nerfed.
    I really don't understand why the actual developers nerf such things, as they are completely optional, like using the shield of balduran, I regard them more as easter eggs than bugs, and even if I have usually 2 rings of the ram I almost never use them. I am glad that bugs, like the previous behavior of the bags with charged items, are fixed, as it could be used as an exploit but gave problems to who doesn't like to exploit the game problems with resting with charged items in a bag, but don't appreciate the nerfing when it don't give problems for the not exploiters.

So I don't know what to do, as I just discovered a good exploit, that afaik is not known or not so known in the net, and I want to share it with the boards, but I don't want it to be nerfed.
    For now I will send it to you in PM (as I am sure that the board administrators will respect our privacy), you deserve to know it, but I will not share it in a topic, unless the developers promise me that they will never nerf it (is a completely optional one, like the 2 or 3 rings of the ram one.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @semiticgod How can you sleep at night?
    Probably he uses the Wish option...
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Unless semitic is an elf, they can cast sleep on themselves whenever they want, just need to intentionally fail the save.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited September 2016
    At end game, potion of insight, wish and 6 spike traps can handle all the boss battles pretty much in a row.

Plus, I find him fun :)
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    The lack of a sexy wild mage is disturbing.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    The best mage across ALL series? Edwin. Because he's great in all games.
    The best mage in BGEE? Baeloth. Because Sorcerer and Magic Resistance.
    Best CASTER in all series? Aerie. Because supreme versatility.
    Archaos said:

The best mage in BGEE? Baeloth. Because Sorcerer and Magic Resistance.

And don't forget personality! Baeloth's a hoot.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @DragonKing I'm limited to ten poll options, so it's either Neera or Baeloth, and I can't combine the two, so I nixed the EE NPCs for continuity.
  • DurendalDurendal Member Posts: 32
    Imoen has more story relevance, and Edwin has more raw power, but Aerie has crazy versatility and can do some really cool things once she reaches high levels.
    Also before reaching them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I still find it weird that Xzar has more Wisdom than most of the divine casters in Baldur's Gate. Not because of the whole "Necromancers needed Wisdom" thing, but rather the whole "He's nuttier than a fruitcake" thing.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

I still find it weird that Xzar has more Wisdom than most of the divine casters in Baldur's Gate. Not because of the whole "Necromancers needed Wisdom" thing, but rather the whole "He's nuttier than a fruitcake" thing.

Nor do the gods appear in warrior's armour clad
    To strike them down with sword and spear
    Those whom they would destroy
    They first make mad.

So saith the wise Bhartrihari.
    @JumboWheat01 It certainly begs the question of whether insanity is related to ability scores.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    The bonus on spell of edwin don't even come close to the flasher. Jan easy.
    Edwin second

@dockaboomski
    How is baeloth continuity again? Last I checked he was an easter egg given due to a late release, not an actual character meant to be there, you know, unlike the EE characters.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DragonKing As of SOD he is a standard character.
    edited September 2016
    @thedamages
    That is nice and all, but last time I checked, Neera was written into bg1, bg2, and ToB... so how does Baeloth possess more continuity than the "EE" character as @dockaboomski claims when the "EE' character actually was actually meant to be in the game and didn't start off as an easter egg as an apology for a late release.
    @DragonKing He doesn't? His name isn't on the poll either...
    @thedamages
    you did read the original post I replied too, right?

wait... nevermind I actually think I miss read @dockaboomski post... yea I did. No harm, no foul.
    @DragonKing To clear things up, I meant continuity as in 'not picking one or the other' because that would cause more problems than it would solve.
    I was going to let it be after acknowledge my miss interpretation but, Neera DOES have continuity over Bealoth seeing how he was again, a "Easter egg" and she wasn't, So really there isn't a choice here, arguing anything else would be arguing preference not status.
    Aw, does Neera know you are defending her honor?