Skip to content

Fireseed + poison

LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
I read somewhere that one can use the druid spell Fireseed in combination with poison, to great effect.
I have a fighter lvl9 -> druid lvl 11, but I'm not sure how to do this trick? Should I use the *spell* named 'Poison', somehow?

Or does it require some illegal assassin -> druid dual class combo?

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It's actually a combination of giving an assassin the druid's Fire Seeds, and using the assassin's Poison Weapon ability to spread the poison on-hit in an area of effect. You can do the same thing with Arrows of Detonation in BG1.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Oh, silly cheese then :(
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Why not just go assassin 1(or Whatever) -> Mage and use AoE spells there? Seems more reliable. But maybe you want to try this specific!
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Yeah I figured as Much. Been away from this game for too long. Thanks for clarification @semiticgod
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    The poison makes sense I guess, but the other effects being applied don't make sense to me.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @subtledoctor MMM and Fireseed are magically created weapons, is not something we have to agree or not.
    The fact that they have a roll to hit, the same one of the other weapons, and not a saving throw, proves it.
    The fact that the developers created PW as an effect that can be applied to every weapon is also something beyond our agreement or disagreement.
    Let's forget for a moment the word cheese, that can mean everything and its opposite.
    My point was that using poisoned fire seeds is using a combination of features of the game, as they are created by the developers, is different from using the clerical strenght or MR spell to lower whith no possible save enemy'a stats. That is using a feature of the game for what is not inteded by the developers, is an exploit.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    None of it makes much sense, no sane dm would ever permit something like that in a table top game.

Poison weapon skill coats the weapon with a poison, thus injecting the thing with a wound. With fire seed the mini eplosions become poisonous explosions. Which makes little sense in my mind.

But it sure is tons of fun to use in the game!
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680

My point was that using poisoned fire seeds is using a combination of features of the game, as they are created by the developers, is different from using the clerical strenght or MR spell to lower whith no possible save enemy'a stats. That is using a feature of the game for what is not inteded by the developers, is an exploit.

Just because a feature is in the game doesn't necessarily mean it was endorsed by the designers.

You are suggesting that the developers were aware that fire seeds applied weapon effects in an area effect and were okay with it.

Whereas to me it seems more likely that they were unaware that fire seeds could be used in this way and that if they had known they would have prevented it.

Now, in the absence of a developer coming and posting, neither of us known which view is correct. Which makes it at least questionable whether it's an exploit or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2016
    lunar said:

None of it makes much sense, no sane dm would ever permit something like that in a table top game.

Poison weapon skill coats the weapon with a poison, thus injecting the thing with a wound. With fire seed the mini eplosions become poisonous explosions. Which makes little sense in my mind.

True, but just like hitting the full plate of an armored enemy with a club or staff and poisoning him, with a weapon that don't cut his skin, trough a coat of iron, has no sense at all.
    Imo no DM should allow to poison any not slashing or piercing weapon, if we want to use that argument.
    Let's use it every time it apply or ignore it, use it only for some weapons is not fair.
    karnor00 said:

Just because a feature is in the game doesn't necessarily mean it was endorsed by the designers.

You are suggesting that the developers were aware that fire seeds applied weapon effects in an area effect and were okay with it.

Whereas to me it seems more likely that they were unaware that fire seeds could be used in this way and that if they had known they would have prevented it.

What I am suggesting is that the developers was perfectly aware that fire seeds was a weapon (a weapon created by a spell that share the name, but different from the spell that creates it). The fact that uses the same to hit roll of the other weapons and not the sawing throw used by the spells is a good clue of the developer's intention about, they where perfectly aware.
    I am also suggesting that they implemented PW as working with any weapon, and this was intended, as it apply to any magically created weapon, MMM, Energy Blades, Spiritual Hammer, weapons of shapeshifted forms and so on.
    I am not suggesting that the developers did think specifically to the combination fire seeds + poison weapon, I can not read in their minds, but I am showing how the fact that fire seeds are a weapon and the fact that poison weapon can be used with ANY weapon are two intended features of the game.
    Skatan said:

Cheesy imply some kind of exploit, being smart and able to think outside of the box is not expoliting.

I disagree with this last statement. I doubt it was intended that AoE effects should override immunities which would block any direct attack. It must be an oversight in the coding and personally I don't use it.

(though I would of course never judge anyone who does, to each their own)
    That is a good point imho.
    It is because a certain degree of exploit is certainly used. What I can say is only that similar exploits where also allowed by the developers. To use insect plague on a low level enemy to bypass the good ST of the boss, to use other AoE bullets, like Arrows of Detonation, to apply effects like poison, smite, Assassination and power attack to an AoE instead of a single target are only some of the possible examples.
    So you are correct and I was wrong, is an exploit. But still is one of the many exploits that use AoE of a weapon to work, that are too many, and some of them known from the early times, to think that this one, and only this, is something that has not to be implemented as possible, and was never nerfed only because the developers was not aware. Imo is one of a family of exploits that was intended as possible by the developers, as almost no other member of that family was never nerfed or prevented, both at the creation of the game and later.
    But still is an exploit, telling that is not so I was wrong.

EDIT:
    chimaera said:

I don't buy the "feature of the game" explanation, because BG2 is a roleplaying game, and I fail to see how you could roleplay fiery nuts of doom wondrously bypassing a lich's immunities, just because your character happened to chuck them at Minsc's head instead of the lich.

About RP see my answer to lunar, about using an exploit to bypass something insect plague, Jan's only ammunition, and the other examples I gave answering to karnor00, show that is a normal behavior of this game, one of the MANY exploits that allow to do something that at a first sight seems to be impossible.
    Is perfectly fine that a player choose to don't use this of other of those exploits, but some of them are widely used by a large part of the community of players, I don't see a reason to put only this in a cathegory of his own.

As we are talking of RP I like to share with you the way I RP mages in the BG saga, is my personal point of view, but is a true RP one, not a PG one disguised as RP.
    First of all I try to never see a magic battle as raw power vs raw power. For me the equation lev20 mage > lev 15 mage >lev 10 mage is not true, is only half of the truth, the less important one.
    For me the key is knowledge, not level or raw power. Knowledge of using the right spells in the right situations, and knowledge to use some spells in not conventional ways in certain situations.
    An early SoA mage can destroy a Planetar, without using any cheese or exploit, if the player has a real knowledge of the spell system, a mage with higher level can be destroied by the same Planetar, while he is trying to cheese him, if the mage/player lacks in knowledge.
    And in RL we see how often knowledge allow "impossible" things. Every one must pay taxes, but the knowledge that a good lawyer has can help you in paying less than at first sight seems you are supposed to pay. Or, on a more material situation, certain chemical reactions are impossible or need a great amount of energy to happen, simply adding a cathalist make them possible/less energy consuming.
    And I like to RP magic in a way that make possible to obtain "impossible" things, like bypassing really good ST or immunities, for that reasons, the knowledge becomes even more prevailing over the raw power and the complexity of RL is better approximated.
    Only in this way the magic system of a CRPG can be somehow at a level that satisfy my immagination.
    Not my need of power, for that a F/M or F->M is more than enough, no need for tricks, that I appreciate so much if there is elegance, creativity, research in them. But I appreciate them for those reasons, never see them as easy recipes to trivialize battles.