Skip to content

Hello, all

I always feel like I should post an introduction before I start posting in forums. So, here I am!

I'm a terrible gamer, but I love it anyway, so in terms of role playing vs. power gaming, I tend to do a lot of power gaming up front so that I don't have to worry about my bad player skills and tactics later on, and can thus enjoy role playing. So, I tend to fit in the extremes at different points. For example, I tend to reroll forever until I get the stats I want, but when it comes to an actual fight, I can't seem to remember to use any potions other than antidotes or healing potions, nor traps, so expecting me to remember to trap enemies with a closed door is way beyond me. I also have a strange dislike of fighters, so my parties tend to be unbalanced. It probably doesn't help that I have a thing for bards as the main character. Back on the power game side of things, I went through Candlekeep a million times to load up on star sapphires, so I have an ungodly amount of gold to deal with the iron crisis when it starts affecting my characters.

Currently, I'm playing on a Mac because my main computer got infected with a nasty virus that my Google Fu was unable to solve (even rescue disks like Kaspersky and such wouldn't boot properly), but when I get my PC back, I plan to start over since I've already made some dumb mistakes. Also, I'm thinking about trying the Tweak Anthology so that I can recruit some of the later characters earlier.

As for Baldur's Gate . . . I have this compulsion to not start 2 until I have finished 1. I got the disks ages ago, then migrated to GoG when my computer could no longer play the disks, and now I have EE as well. Despite that, I have never gotten past the vampiric wolves in BG1, so I have not even started BG2. I have never really played any other games of this sort, though I do have Neverwinter Nights, and I started Planescape: Torment once.

More recently, I have played Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (but seriously, why so many colons?)

My current party is Lyrien (Skald, main character), Melysene (gnome Illusionist/Thief-unlock), Imoen (Thief-scout/traps), Jaheira, and Khalid. I took Edwin to the gnoll fortress and let him and Dynaheir "work things out". Then, I returned to Nashkel and just recruited Minsc to round out the party (I will have to see what to do if he starts wanting to save Dynaheir -- my curiosity is what prompted this method of getting just him rather than the more usual methods). I plan to replace Khalid with Kivan (because so far, Kivan is the only fighter I can stand). I wasn't really planning on a "good" party (my characters are both neutral), but I didn't want to wait to get a party together or go too far out of my way hunting down potential recruits. I'm not a big fan of Montaron and don't feel I need any more arcane spells, even though I won't read high levels with either of my arcane casters -- so Xzar is out, even though I like him. I also note my lack of tanky characters, which is why I decided to go with Minsc rather than Viconia (who I like a lot more) -- Kagain (another fighter I don't really like) got killed already, and I did not bother to resurrect him. I'm not really excited about Minsc, but the gnoll fortress was difficult enough to keep my ranged characters from getting into melee range. I tried Ajantis, but his dialogue really irritated me. I'm pretty sure I will get Yeslick at some point, though I've never experienced him, so I don't know whether he will irritate me or not. But I know it would be good to have some actual Cleric spells in there, rather than just Jaheira's druid spells.

I'm playing on Core Rules mainly for the spell writing. I went high in Intelligence specifically so I wouldn't fail in writing spells as often, so having it succeed automatically feels wrong and a waste of that effort. I wish I could have that and everything else (indifferent on the hit point thing) from Normal/Easy, so sometimes I switch the difficulty down in a fight, although I haven't been doing as badly as I thought I would, so it's been at Core most of the time despite this -- probably a result of the stats and some of the gear (although I haven't changed much out yet, and I left the wand of magic missiles accidentally with Edwin in the gnoll fortress). I thought I would need Easy, but so far, I have only lowered it to Normal, and not as often as I expected.

Quest-wise, I need to go back to Beregost to get some quests that I didn't get, and then we'll see. I have a lot to do before I actually start the Nashkel mines.

I'm not sure why I wrote all of that. I guess I wasn't sure what else to put for an intro! Hope it was at least vaguely interesting.

Comments

• VoronaVorona Member Posts: 12
    @gorgonzola Oh, yeah that doesn't apply to me. I mean maybe some day I will want added challenge, but generally I like to ignore combat as much as possible and enjoy the rest of the story/quests. That's another reason I *like* games like this, since it is more about character ability than player ability, and probably also why I like bards so much, since I mainly just sit in the back and sing.

As for intelligence/spell writing/difficulty settings -- it could also be that I was relying on the book (which I still use and love!) and didn't pay attention to what it said on the screen about ability to write magic, or saw it when I selected Easy but then forgot what it said when I actually started learning spells/rolling stats. Or it could be your other suggestion. Who knows? I know that NOW I choose Core specifically for that reason.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    on core and higher you don't have 100% chance to learn spells, on normal and lower you have.
    Right! I like there to be a chance of failure, so I make sure to use Core Rules now, even though I don't really like combat and would otherwise have chosen an easier setting.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Welcome!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Wecome to the Forum and have fun! :) And by all means make mistakes! They often lead you to places in the game where you wouldn't go if everything was done "right" :)
    Thanks to you both!

@mlnevese Good point about mistakes! And I am having fun.
  • XavantXavant Member Posts: 11
    Fresh meat! Naw, I'm kidding with you. Very happy to have you as a member of our fine establishment. Be sure to tip the waiters and waitresses... they have proven their worth time and time again (especially when it comes to learning information in the various forums of Beamdog!). B)
    Glad to have found this fine establishment, and the servers will be tipped generously!