Skip to content

Why dont druids get love?

So I got an extremely good stat roll on my druid 94 so pretty much everything is maxed but int and charisma but druids have it so damn easy escaping irenicus dungeon.
I did it with the druid alone and did not rest a single time and I cleared the entire place as well and it only took me like 20mins.

Any other character I've taken the full team (everyone in the dungeon) and have had to rest like 18 times and that's with only doing the absolutely necessary things and it takes me an hour to an hour and a half. (Yeah I'm a really shit player)

Druid is ridiculous, woodland beings + flame blade + bless + iron skins is awesome, oh and the summon snake from totemic druid
mashedtatersJuliusBorisovRavenslightbrus

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Lots of people here love Druids for their versatility and power.
    Me? I don't like the evolution of their character concept into the tree-hugging, environmentalist party spokesman for D&D.
    Give me occultists who perform human sacrifices for dark, mystical powers used to manipulate ignorant people near their vile henge; or members of an ancient scholastic order driven to guide the world from infancy to maturity by secretly leaking predetermined bits of knowledge into the populace; or hermits who discovered an unknown shrine of power in the farthest reaches of the wilderness away from civilization, driven mad by isolation and their rabid pets to protect it from intruders at all costs; or healers, immersed from birth in the traditions of a lonely temple, who have sworn an oath to travel the expanses of the mountains for lost strangers to save; or shapeshifting savages viewed as no better than animals who terrorize the local farmers in packs and feed on the blood of their livestock.
    Let's keep political tree-hugging away from the gaming table.
    DJKajuruRavenslightbruslolien
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The main issue IMHO is the gap (though massive planar rift would fit better in this case) between levels 13 and 14, 14 and 15.

When I play druid, I feel like my Charname is not progressing at all for half the game.

And once you reach 3M exp you'll have more spells than any cleric.
    mashedtatersgorgonzola
  • NightmareWraithNightmareWraith Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2016
    Lots of people love druids all I keep seeing is people complaining about how weak they are....

@mashedtaters yeah I'd like that kinda thing but everything has to be politically correct according to society.

Does the gap become smaller again after level 15?

@JuliusBorisov oh nice having a read through that, how do you check the immunities of the pets that you mention in the beginning of the thread, I right click the summons but no window pops up like with the other skills
    Post edited by NightmareWraith on
    mashedtatersRavenslight
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @NightmareWraith yes it does, you'll get one level every 150k exp for about 10 levels, but these levels are mostly irrelevant
    edited October 2016
    @Arunsun how are they irrelevant don't they give more spells, save throws, health and HLA?

I just had a really funny moment, I just finished summoning a nymph and the enemy charmed me, but then the nymph instantly cast domination on me and I got control back straight away.
    sarevok57RavenslightThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

how do you check the immunities of the pets that you mention in the beginning of the thread, I right click the summons but no window pops up like with the other skills

As that post stated, a guide from www.gamefaqs.com showed them. But now you can read about Spirit Animals in the official manual, Adventurer's Guide.

You can also check the stats with the NearInfinity.
    RavenslightRelSundanloliengorgonzola

how do you check the immunities of the pets that you mention in the beginning of the thread, I right click the summons but no window pops up like with the other skills

As that post stated, a guide from www.gamefaqs.com showed them. But now you can read about Spirit Animals in the official manual, Adventurer's Guide.

You can also check the stats with the NearInfinity.
    I'd probably break something if I tried using Near Infinity lol

Ah ok cool, and wow looks like the spirit wolf becomes really strong with level drain and hold... Maybe I should start using it instead of Just the snake and lion, and man they have a lot of immunities...
    RavenslightRelSundan
    Mush_Mush said:

One of my favourite playthroughs was as an Avenger. Sometimes they're "Great" hehe :)

Screenie from old save

How are avengers, I've seen people saying they are really good but I don't see it, the mage spells they get are pretty crappy...
    Whenever I've used chaotic commands most enemies just shrug it off and I can't find any useable items with free movement so I'm always getting stuck in web and killed
    Ravenslight
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476

Whenever I've used chaotic commands most enemies just shrug it off and I can't find any useable items with free movement so I'm always getting stuck in web and killed

Well it depends what enemies you're using Chaos on. Most enemies should be fairly susceptable to it given it has, I think, -4 to saves? But even when confronting higher level enemies you can have your mage use greater malison which all but guarantees it to work. Certain enemies like Drow or constructs are generally either highly resistant or immune in which case you don't bother and go with summons and brute force.
    gorgonzola
    It usually f
    Mush_Mush said:

Well it depends what enemies you're using Chaos on. Most enemies should be fairly susceptable to it given it has, I think, -4 to saves? But even when confronting higher level enemies you can have your mage use greater malison which all but guarantees it to work. Certain enemies like Drow or constructs are generally either highly resistant or immune in which case you don't bother and go with summons and brute force.
    It usually fails even against orcs/shades/humans/summons etc I rarely see it actually work, I remember before EE Greater Malison could miss is that still the case?

Also instead of creating a new thread I saw that an item called Staff of Arundal can only be gotten from a merchant that only appears if you preordered the game, seeing as I never new about the EE until long after it was released is it possible to buy the guy as a dlc or something?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Note that we're talking here about Chaos, not Chaotic commands (this spell is protective, it gives your party different protections, including the one against Chaos).

Staff of Arundel and other items from bonus merchants are in BG2EE, no additional DLC or a mod are needed.
    Mush_Mushgorgonzola

Note that we're talking here about Chaos, not Chaotic commands (this spell is protective, it gives your party different protections, including the one against Chaos).

Staff of Arundel and other items from bonus merchants are in BG2EE, no additional DLC or a mod are needed.
    Oh ok cool gamebanshee had said Joluv only showed up if you pre-ordered thank god that is wrong lol.
    Holy shit that nijato is OP extra attack plus poison....

Whoops I had meant chaos I got no idea why I said chaotic commands....

It usually fails even against orcs/shades/humans/summons etc I rarely see it actually work, I remember before EE Greater Malison could miss is that still the case?

Chaos should rarely fail against orcs. With humans it depends on their level, class etc. and I think shades are immune. IIRC the confused animation appears over their heads but doesn't actually change their behavior, I could be wrong though its been a long time. :)

Malison never misses there is no saving throw though MR does apply.
    JuliusBorisovgmazcagorgonzola
    ah ok fair enough
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Arunsun said:

The main issue IMHO is the gap (though massive planar rift would fit better in this case) between levels 13 and 14, 14 and 15.

When I play druid, I feel like my Charname is not progressing at all for half the game.

And once you reach 3M exp you'll have more spells than any cleric.

One of the things I've done on my own is to tweak the druid exp curve so that it's actually a curve and not this horrible jagged thing. They also wound up with another 3 levels out of it (34 max instead of 31).
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2016

Druid is ridiculous

You haven't seen the power of Druids until you've played 3.5E.
    You think they're strong in BG?

How about having an elemental/dragon/dinosaur companion, turning into an elemental/dragon/dinosaur, summoning more elementals and being able to fully cast spells in Wild Shape?

Yeah, Druids are one-man armies.
    @Archaos what game uses 3.5E that sounds awesome!!! Or is it only available table top which I don't play
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2016

@Archaos what game uses 3.5E that sounds awesome!!! Or is it only available table top which I don't play

Neverwinter Nights 2 is 3.5E, also Temple of Elemental Evil.

Make sure to play NwN2 with Kaedrin's pack mod to get a taste of 3.5E Druid's power, because they're weak in vanilla.
    No T-Rex form, though. But you get Dragon Shapes and Dragon Companions.

Also use the Circle of Eight mod for ToEE to get the most out of it.

But yeah, Druids and Clerics are called CoDzillas (Cleric or Druid Godzilla) in 3.5E PnP for a reason.
    NWN is online only though right? I don't have the internet for that :(

I'll give ToEE a try though
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I have never played the game through with a Druid, although I have had Faldorn in my party once in BG(EE), and have had Cernd and Jaheira a variety of times in BG2(EE). They can be good fun! For the most part, I would consider them on par with a Cleric, each having variations that give them advantages (often phrased as a comparative disadvantage).

Call Lightning can be utterly devastating at nearly every point in the game, but Shadows of Amn does not take place outdoors for the most part, so unfortunately you lose a bit of potency in that regard. Storm of Vengeance is great fun when you get it, and I have no doubt that there are a variety of strategies that make them quite deadly. Personally, I don't run with less than a party of 6, and so the game is never an insurmountable challenge, therefore, in the spirit of variety being the spice of life, I never worry too much about class effectiveness when picking my party.

One concern I do have is the absolutely mad XP gap between level 13-14, which is surely an oversight on somebody's part, as is evidenced by the crazy amount of spell slot gains that a Druid makes at level 14.

But my main concern is this: if you play a kitted Druid as your protagonist, does your class name still change to 'Great Druid' if you win the stronghold?
    JuliusBorisov

But my main concern is this: if you play a kitted Druid as your protagonist, does your class name still change to 'Great Druid' if you win the stronghold?

My first post answers that question :p

JuliusBorisovrecklessheart
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Never Winter Nights 1 and 2 are single player. NeverWinter is the mmo. So you're good.

Never Winter Nights 1 and 2 are single player. NeverWinter is the mmo. So you're good.
    OH SWEET!!!!

Question with BG2 how do I revert stat screen to the old UI, I don't like the new one especially with how small the section that shows all the buff is.
    You would have to revert back to patch 1.3, which is only possible on Steam. If you purchased it through another venue, you can request a steam key from customer support. But if the UI is your only concern, there are a number of fantastic mods in the forums modding section.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzola

You would have to revert back to patch 1.3, which is only possible on Steam. If you purchased it through another venue, you can request a steam key from customer support. But if the UI is your only concern, there are a number of fantastic mods in the forums modding section.

I do have steam version but if I revert the entire game that means I lose a lot of items and bug fixes etc right?

I haven't had a look at the mod section to deeply, but from the little I've looked using mods requires replacing of files which makes me extremely nervous (I'm autistic) is the a mod installer that does it all? Otherwise I'll just have to put up with the UI...

I do have steam version but if I revert the entire game that means I lose a lot of items and bug fixes etc right?

I haven't had a look at the mod section to deeply, but from the little I've looked using mods requires replacing of files which makes me extremely nervous (I'm autistic) is the a mod installer that does it all? Otherwise I'll just have to put up with the UI...
    Yeah you will lose all the other great features of the current patch if you revert. For the majority of mods (all the ones I use at least) there is an installer. I don't poke around in the UI mods section much though, @Pecca would know more than me there.