Skip to content

Help me with my restarties!

I seriosuly can't play this game due to my restarties, I just can't play a savegame for more than 1-2 hours without feeling an urge to restart lately and it is annoying, I bet a lot of you understand me.

So what do I want from you? I want you to create a character for me, it can be Whatever you want. You pick Race, name, gender, class, spells/proficencies, you name it. I don't want any answers like "fmt mate go lol." I want some serious answers.

This time I am not going to allow myself to restart the game until I finish the game with your character, going from Candlekeep to Throne of Bhaal.

I'm playing with SCS so give a class that won't be able to finish the game lol.
JuliusBorisovgorgonzolalolienTressetmashedtaters

Comments

• RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    I am going to attempt a no-reload run and document it as @JuliusBorisov suggested to me. I do believe this will be more fun.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I am almost immune to restartitis. This is because for me the goal is not to have the best charname or party possible, but to set a theory and try to demonstrate it in the actual game, exploring all its implications.
    My suggestion is to chose a charname class that you don't know well, that you are not used to, to give him a party reasonably balanced, and to try your best. With learning how to play it good as goal, not having the most incredible, well optimized, powergamed party and charname. That imo is the main cause of restartitis, yes this is good, but that can be even better, let's try it.
    Try instead to make better what you still have, to make yourself a better player.
    You can do it participating at a no reload tread, that can be also be helpful, but alone imo is not solving the problem at the root, you continue, but just because other people are "watching", you loose the face giving up and re starting, but the next run the problem will be back again.

This is what make me immune, I hope that it can help you.
    JuliusBorisovRelSundanMush_Mushmashedtaters
    These are all very good points. I think that making this into a no-reload run would make things interesting, so I am definitely doing that. I'm going to play Julius character for this run.

After that, I'm going to try your idea Skatan. I Always have some RP behind each character but writing one is something new to me. I will do this as well. Since I'm still in college/school this is another reason to do this.

Honestly, if you're not having fun, why force yourself to keep playing? I'm currently playing Might and Magic 10, and I've restarted so much I've lost count. Definitely more than 10 times. I've barely even been out of the starting area yet. And I'm having a blast. Steam says I have close to 70 hours into the game so far, and I've only been through a small fraction of the content of it. I like it that way. It feels like "The Neverending Story".

If you're not having fun trying out all the different characters you're creating on those restarts, I guess you could try one of the suggested characters here, but what if that's not fun, either? If it's not fun with either the restarts, or the suggested characters with the trying to make yourself go forward with a character that's not your own idea, I'd play a different game for a while. You can come back to BG in a few months with a refreshed, new outlook on it. BG isn't going anywhere in the meantime.

The thing is, I do Love this game, but I'm getting a little sick of doing the first chapters of the game (I'm mostly playing bg2) I really want to get far into the game (like the Underdark, after that I rarely restart) but I just don't have the will to do it sometimes, without trying a new character. I think these ideas will help me a lot.

(Short and boring post, I'm on My phone and My arms are shaking so bad from the workout.)
    gorgonzolaMush_MushSkatanmashedtaters
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

I just misread boobs for boots (i am mildly dyslectic) and asked myself "what kind of partner he has?"
    It was a funny moment that I want to share :smiley:

I'd share a pic from Total Recall here, but I think it would break the forum rules :smiley:
    gorgonzoladunbarmashedtatersGallowglass
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    For me to be able to get through a full saga play through my character needs to have a balance of fun mechanics and interesting RP flavour.

I've made COUNTLESS characters but I have probably only played through the whole sage maybe around 8-10 times from start to finish and most of those playthroughs were with a spellcaster of some form (at least 3 different sorcerers) because the mechamics of hack n slash doesn't hold my attention long enough for a protagonist. The only character I played through the whole sage with that wasnt a spellcaster was my Assassin because backstabbing was/is a blast.

So I would say, as others have already said before me, create a character that you really like that has a class that you also enjoy and if you strike that balance you'll find, much like a good book, you won't be able to put it down. :)
    gorgonzolaJuliusBorisovRelSundan
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Mush_Mush arcane casters and backstabbing thieves? I have almost the same tastes of you.
    Mush_MushRelSundan
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Here are some of the many characters I've made that I never really played with incase any are of interest to you:

And, my personal favourite...

Riley loves magic but unfortunately is clueless and has no control over what shes capable of. Sometimes as much as she wants to launch a barrage of magic missles at something all that happens is sparkly colours or some grease. :)

Every spell is randomly selected on level up. Its kinda like a Wild Sorcerer

RelSundanSkatan
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited November 2016
    Restartitis is fun only if you have fun ideas.

heck my next solo run will be a human fighter with 9 in all stats, no proficiency and a innate permanent UAI ability. Also using the bandit sound set. I call it the survivalist :smile:
    Skatan

heck my next solo run will be a human fighter with 9 in all stats, no proficiency and a innate permanent UAI ability. Also using the bandit sound set. I call it the survivalist :smile:

Sounds cool! What bandit soundset?
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    RelSundan said:

Sounds cool! What bandit soundset?
    I did a mashup of many sets via DLCTEP. Selection include those "Hi friend" "Yeah mate?" from various hunters. Battlecry uses "Leave us alone will you" from Zordral. Some more that would take alot of time to mention but this is easily the first time I actively listen and love my charname lines. Makes even getting hit or dying or crit misses enjoyable lmao.

so far that run involes spamming wands and hit-and-runs. For some reason Rasaads boots don't give AC even on UAI users. oh well
    JuliusBorisov
    That would be cool to try out, care to explain a little bit about how it's done? @SirBatince