Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2018
    PfM and puffed up and activated the Avernus bridge battle, then activated Thrix and he opened the door immediatelly, good didn't have to bother fighting them.

Spell Sequencer: Enchanted Weapon, Fireshield Blue, Improved Invisibility.
    Minor Sequencer: Strength, Melf's Acid Arrow.

Natural Redux Knight vs Bel

PfM, 2x PfP, 2x PfC, 2x Mind Focusing, Storm, 3x Heroism, 2x Invul, Speed, Go.

During the lift battle, 5x Heroism, 5x Power, 2x Invul, Clarity, Durlag, Blur, Spell Sequencer, Spell Sequencer, Clarity, Speed.

Opened the battle after the dispel with Minor Sequencer, which didn't work, it said something about "one of the spells have failed", have to check that one out. Started smacking Belhifet, and it was going fairly well, I got him to the last bar when I still had 11 goblets left.

Tried to restart my Spell Sequencer which failed, and then started the long wait for the last crit, very long psychologically, but very short as my buffs started to disappear and had to use the goblet almost every round. And when my goblet had dissappeared I finally got the last hit.

But there was still Hepernaan to deal with, and my PfM disappeared so I turned invisible. Luckily Hephernaan doesn't attack when you're invisible. So I used my last PfM and last potion buffs and smacked him down.

Interestingly like with my Cavalier, Belhifet never teleported away, I wonder why that sometimes happen. It would be a great help if you could repeat that. Do you have any insight on this? @semiticgod
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @histamiini: I'm guessing that he doesn't teleport away if you're engaged with him in melee. I'm on a different computer at the moment, so I can't check his script in Near Infinity. @Harpagornis probably knows more about Belhifet; he's the one who basically invented the metagame for Belhifet.
    After learning quite a few things in previous fight, I've changed to the Bane fight:

Minor Sequencer: 2x Strength (can't use attack spell because other one fails)
    Spell Sequencer: Enchanted Weapon, Blur, Improved Invisibility (Fireshield Blue to Blur because offence was puny and defense is more important)

Missile Boots because now I can stop Bel teleporting with 100 fire resistance, Speed Boots are thus pointless

Swap Helmet of Balduran to Wizard Hat (casting speed +1) when using Sequencer during the fight as it makes it instant, it failed previously because the normal casting speed of Sequencer is one. Same applies to PfE, Mirror Image and Stoneskin scrolls if I'll have use them in the fight.

When the two Improved Invisibilities (26 rounds) are out, I need to equip Draconscale Shield and sacrifice 19 critical to keep my saves vs. Death below 2 so I won't get stunned, and also to maintain the same AC.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited February 2018
    The Noble challenge is very interesting @Arctodus - will keep this in mind for later! ;)

Hmmmmm.... that was a fight to remember - no @histamiini? My question is now how good are the chances? Maybe you can do 100+ battles to get the numbers? Okay, that was more or less joking! For real: How high would you rate the chances for F/M: 50/50? Better? However: Good job! Let Seven finish Melissan - its time! ;)
    edited February 2018

Hmmmmm.... that its possible to beat Big B on Bane was never in question @histamiini. My question was how good are the chances. Maybe you can do 100+ battles to get the numbers? Okay, that was more or less joking! For real: How high would you rate the chances for F/M: 50/50? Better? However: Good job! Let Seven finish Melissan - its time! ;)

Well on average I'll make (32+32)*0,75+340 damage per 20 attacks (not hits) which means with 3 apr, Bel's hp and regen, an average about 20 rounds. That's not really a long time, and is just enough time to keep all my buffs and haste up if I use one Sequencer during the fight. So mathematically I think the chance is good, maybe more than 50%.

If I was to improve I would use Stoneskin, Haste, Improved Invisibility Sequencer, to keep my Haste the 20 rounds, and Stoneskin to give the goblet effect and protect me at least a round. Also I would take another * on Single Weapon Style and sacrifice one in Scimitars probably to give an additional AC and quicker first hit.
    edited February 2018
    Okay, yeah - thats not that bad if you consider that - except for Druids - every other non-Mage class would suffer until the end of time here. And even Druids with Harm will be below 50%. The Crusader Challenge however should be quite painful for Mages at least on the highest destiny levels as they have to use one point for Mage Scrolls. But as no one disagreed i hope that its one of the not-so-bad options to tone Mage-Classes down a little bit.

I will take a look at the proposal from @Arctodus again as it has potential. But is it true the the restriction only counts for MAGIC items - so normal weapons, armor, ammunition etc. is unlimited? What does the rule-book say here in detail? Would be very interesting! ;)
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited February 2018
    @Harpagornis Yeah, the restriction is only for magical items : in theory, you could have as much unenchanted arrows as you want. Or use an unenchanted bow, to have one more stack of magical arrows, for instance. I think it's fair, because you won't get very far in the game if you use only unenchanted items. However, it's always possible to have rougher restrictions...

Edit : Don't forget that the restriction is also categorized. If you want to use an unenchanted armor, it won't give you a fifth misc item : it's one magic armor max or nothing. Also, if you use a two-handed sword, you're stuck with only 9 magical items equipped, because no shield can be used at the same time.

Edit 2 : Optional rougher restrictions : when you sell an item, you can't buy it back because you have forfeited ownership. You can't recharge items !!
    edited February 2018
    It would be funny now to return to normal no-reload:

Strength on Belhifet to lower his Thac0 to -9

-3 Full Plate
    -4 Helmet of Balduran
    -7 Slashing Belt
    -9 Amulet of Protection +2
    -10 Cloak of Balduran
    -12 Ring of Purity
    -15 Ring of the Crusade
    -19 Dexterity Bonus
    -21 Single Weapon Style **
    -24 Blur 23 rounds
    -26 Protection from Evil 20 rounds
    -30 Improved Invisibility 13 rounds

, would make Bel hit only 20's, or 19,5 average damage per 20 attacks. :D
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited February 2018

-3 Full Plate
    -19 Dexterity Bonus

Are you sure you haven't double-counted dexterity? :D
    edited February 2018
    @Grond0 Doesn't it work like 1 AC - 4 slashing modifier? Bel does only slashing damage.
    @histamiini you're quite right - consider me duly humbled :p.
    edited February 2018
    @semiticgod Nice info, never thought about that. I wondered why it felt like Bel hit more than he should. Also forgot those Mind Focusing potions, good for buffing because they're fire and forget (12 hours).
    edited February 2018

The Noble Warrior Challenge

This is a remake of the original LoB+SCS Solo Warrior Challenge inspired by @Arctodus.

Living beyond the mundane life your Warrior is restricted to own only 10 magic items. Remember: A stack of magical arrows, scrolls or potions count as one magic item. Unenchanted items are not counted.

Another fact dividing you from a normal adventurer is that you can't have a stash. With other words: When you discard a magic item, you can't use it again, because you have forfeit ownership on the dropped or saled item. Chose wisely what to pick up on your travels!

The following classes/kits are considered „Warrior“ for the purpose of this challenge: Fighter, Berserker, Wizard Slayer, Kensai, Dwarven Defender, Ranger, Archer, Stalker, Beast Master, Paladin, Cavalier, Inquisitor, Undead Hunter, Blackguard, Swashbuckler, Monk, Dark Moon Monk, Sun Soul Monk, Barbarian. Dual-/multi-classing is not allowed!

P.S. As spellcasters and especially Mages would get an advantage here i banished them completly. Maybe we can lower the number of magic items for them but i am not sure what would be fair. Any ideas? However: A remake of the old Warrior Challenge also does not seem to be a bad idea... ;)

P.P.S. Keep going @histamiini!

P.P.P.S. Hhhmmmm... Big B could get really tricky with this rule setting... :D
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    @Harpagornis It's true that this challenge is more or less designed for warriors, but I can see it working for mages too. Some of these restrictions don't do much for them, I agree : having four weapons doesn't really help or hinder them, and 1 armor doesn't change their gamelay much. However, they can't use shield so they're stuck with only 9 magic items. Also, only 4 misc can be a challenge : each type of wand would count as a magical item, but if you discard a type of wand once, you can't use it ever again. And you can't recharge wands, don't forget, so no wand of monster summoning spamming ! I don't know, it's an easier challenge than a poverty one, but I don't see a mage having an easy time against Belhifet under these rules.
    edited February 2018
    If we use the pnp Paladin rules we are running into troubles vs Big B i think. Thats why i wrote "10 magic items" so its open to the player which one he picks. Even then it will NOT be easy. ;)

But what would be the perfect setup for a Warrior? This one?

Kiels Helmet (no crits, fear protection)

Full Plate Armor (does not count)

Martyrs Morningstar (One-Handed-Spec)

Ring of Purity
    Ring of the Crusade

Potions of Power
    Oil of Speed
    Potions of Magic Shielding
    Durlags Goblet

+ Two More....

What could it be? ;)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    If the restriction is to 10 magic items then arguably you might be better off with unenchanted full plate - won't potions of magic shielding block fire spell damage anyway? With the relatively poor AC you've got I also wonder if dual-weapon wielding is best - if you're going for hit and run then single weapon would be better (you can also dual-wield with a single weapon by using fists as your main weapon if necessary).
    Quite a good start for Xaghul after kiting Shoal with 36 Arrows. Next stops were Drizzt (Chain Mail +4) as well as Scrolls and Algernons Cloak for the Basilisk XP loop. 15 minutes later he hit level 8. Great.

Next was Dushai for his Ring of Free Action which took 39 tries before charm worked. The burial outside of the village followed shortly after. Quite nice that the Barbarian movement speed bonus does not get negated by the ring.

I also noticed that the Wiki is wrong as it states that Barbarian Rage does not work against stun. Thats not true. Even though the stun effect is dispayed in the log the Barbarian can still act like normal.

Another thing: Thanks to the potions and scrolls that are all around you hit the 10 magic items restriction really fast so even though the adventure has just started i had to sell quite some stuff. Good planning will be needed here... hmmmmm.... can this work for a chaotic Barbarian who likes to smack first and only then starts thinking? We will see! However: Time to get some reputation back! ;)