Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

I dont know if this new challenge rule setting will get the attention i hope for but maybe @JuliusBorisov can help us here. ;)

With all the work going on, I've been slowing catching up (since I had left this thread in November) and have stopped at the 96th page today. Currently I have 660 new comments in this thread. Not even finding time for reading, what to say about playing ;)
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2018
    Okay, than its up to the rest of the Beamdog Team to keep this wonderful challenge alive. Who´s up for that @JuliusBorisov? Just nudge them into the thread! ;)

I know that @Gate70 plays all day long with @Grond0 - too bad he never showed up here!

What about @Ardanis? He has given deep insights here. Maybe he could show more of them by playing?

I am also sure that @Alesia_BH would fit perfectly into this challenge - too bad she lacks time heavily...

Maybe @Myrag should finally abandon his party-run number 1000+ and give our new challenge a try!!! :D
    edited January 2018
    What a start into the Crusader Challenge...

After rolling for more than half an hour i came up with an epic 97 roll. Finally. But what happened then? The game crashed...

Okay, the game wants to cheat me? I can do this too! With other words: I reconfigured the roll using EE-Keeper...

I think in this case thats a decision i can live with. However: Say hello to my very first Crusader!

Character:
    Krell the Human Kensai

Destiny:
    Chosen One

Stars:
    * Potions

Lets hope he will survive the first minutes - without further crashes... :D

P.S. Krell will have to wait until tomorrow as its time to get some sleeping! ;)
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2018
    Chapter 9. Morentherene daggered, Ziatar acid arrowed.

Four skelis, Spirit Armor, Stoneskin, Blur, Mirror Image, Fireshield Red/Blue, Haste, Improved Invisibility and got saves to 1. Lured Neothelid out of the room to the killing zone and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

The same go jumped on Akanna, and lured her Aerial Servant out of the room, another Improved Invisibility and smacked her down. Surrendered the fort and activated the bridge being invisible, and smacked the Fire Elemental down, took 5 times the goblet. Soon Crusader Attacks.

@Harpagornis Well Bane is basically Knight level with no gloves and bad selections. :D
    edited January 2018
    Btw does anybody know if Protection from Evil has been changed, wiki says it gives +2 save bonus, but ingame description doesn't say anything about it?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

Btw does anybody know if Protection from Evil has been changed, wiki says it gives +2 save bonus, but ingame description doesn't say anything about it?

I suspect it's just a mistake in the text. I agree that the reference to saving throws in the mage spell has gone, but it's still there in the priest versions.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just now realized that this thread is over 100 pages long.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

What about @Ardanis? He has given deep insights here. Maybe he could show more of them by playing?

My playing skills are probably above the average, but hardly spectacular. Especially compared to solo LoB players :)
    edited January 2018
    Been planning to maximise my survivability by damage against Bel because no potion buffing, nor most gear makes it pretty hard:

Thac0's in end fight

-12 Belhifet melee
    2 Cornugon melee
    4 Heprenaan melee
    3 Erinyes missile
    13 Hamatula melee

Max AC for Natural Redux

-4/-3/-3 Daeros Full Plate
    -4 Dexterity 19
    -1 Single Weapon Style *
    -1 Helm of Balduran
    -3 Blur 24 rounds
    -2 Protection from Evil 20 rounds
    -4 Improved Invisibility 13 rounds

-19 vs melee is enough to get only criticals from all other than Bel, there's no crushing damage in this fight
    -18 vs missiles is enough to get only criticals from Erinyes, even without missile boots

Bel still hits 70% of the time, which you can lower with Strength spell to 50%. And with average damage per hit of 24,5 and 3 apr he should do average damage of 51 and 37 per round respectively. With 127 hp I should be able to survive Bel on direct tanking.

Elemental damage in end fight

Fire fots of fire
    Ice Arrows Erinyes
    Lightning Bolt Cornugon

Daeros Full Plate
    2x Protection from Fire 12 hours
    3x Protection from Cold 12 hours
    Protection from Magic 2 hours

That should make me immune (or heal) to all elemental damage

Other damage in end fight

Poison (-2 vs Death) Belhifet, Heprenaan
    Disease (-2 vs Death) Belhifet (-2 to str and con)
    Bleeding (no save) Cornugon

3x Protection from Poison 12 hours

Bleeding can't be stopped but it's no biggie. Disease hurts your str and con, but Thac0 doesn't matter to me because I'm hitting only criticals with Martyr's anyway, and con hit of 18 hp which isn't that much. But I've to see if I can get my saves vs. death to -1 to stop that.

The real killers in the end fight are however:

Aura of Fear from Belhifet (save vs wand)
    Stun from Cornugon hit (save vs death)
    Various Hold and Charm spells

Fear can be dealt with either Kiel's helmet, or in my case Resist Fear 1 hour
    Stun can be only stopped by save vs. death of 1
    Protection from Magic should stop all the normal spells

So number one priority is to get saves vs. death to 1.

8 Base
    -1 Helmet of Balduran
    -1 Blur 24 rounds
    -2 Protection from Evil 20 rounds
    -4 Improved Invisibility 13 rounds

Should give 0 saves which should stop stun, I've to still confirm the PfE saves though.
    Post edited by histamiini on
    Just realized a small obstacle before going the Underground, well huge actually. As I don't have 18 wisdom, and because I can't use potions, I can't get the lich in Kanaglym to stay and fight. Which then means no Robe of Aptitude which would be huge help in both Crusader Attacks and End Fight. Hmm...
    edited January 2018
    Holy cow - why havent you read the posts where my poverty Druids faced exactly this problem @Grond0? :D

Anyway: See you - have a great time! ;)

The numbers look great @histamiini but getting everything in perfect order with luck also on your side... hmmmm... will get tricky! :D

Lets hope i can find some time for Krell today... ;)
    edited January 2018
    Cracked the mystery of Robe of Arcane Aptitude, here's the low down:

You need 24 lore to get Zhadroth to stay and fight you, I of course have only 22, of course. But there's one item that buffs lore and that I can use, Brevin's Staff which gives +10 to lore. Lucky that I still had it, and finally a reason for lore buffs.

@Harpagornis Well I can only hope that this happens in the fight :D

6 rounds and done

edited January 2018
    Thats a probabillity of 0,0001%. Well - in this case its easier to kill Big B with a Druid using Harm @histamiini. :D
    edited January 2018
    @Harpagornis The average time should still be with 1/10 hits and 3 apr only 20 rounds to kill Bel, if he didn't teleport, so I think that should give quite high probability to kill him on average. But we'll see if I took everything into account, probably not. :D

edited January 2018
    Chapter 10, did enough guests to reach 500k xp and level 9/10, got the Martyr's Morningstar. Two hasted skelis, confusion helmet and wasted the Myconids to get Myconid Summons. Underground River, lured the Myconids to the Crusaders, and smacked the Shrieker down.

With invisibility to Kanaglym. Zhadroth, 2 hasted skelis, Brevin's Staff to get lore to 24, Secret Revealed and wasted the lich for the Robe of Arcane Aptitude, and its Spell Sequencer.

With invisibility sneaked to the basement, and freed Daeros, picked up his armor and quickly escaped the place, didn't fight anybody. Next up the Crusader Attacks.
    edited January 2018
    I just realized that there's not many enemies you really have to fight in SoD:

Prelude Korlasz
    Chapter 7
    Chapter 8
    Chapter 9 Ziatar, Akanna, Bridge Fire Elemental
    Chapter 10 Crusader Attacks
    Chapter 11 Ashatiel
    Chapter 12 Lift Demons, Belhifet, Hepernaan

:D
    edited January 2018
    Crusader Attacks, Spell Sequencer, Greater Malison, 2x Web, Minor Sequencer, 2x Web, 20 Skull Traps, 5 Skelis backline, 2x PfF, Haste

Troll Wave, done with fifth Detonator.

PfM, 2x PfF, Resist Fear, Blur, 4x pre Web, Haste, Soft Feet

Mage Wave, hit the ground with Spell Sequencer, done after 18 Detonators and one Goblet.

Made another Greater Malison, 2x Web sequencer, 3x pre Web, Haste, pre Minor Sequencer

Fighter Wave, hit the ground with Spell Sequencer, done after 13 Detonators and one Goblet.

Trivial Wave, done with invincible tanks and about 100 acid arrows. Ashatiel dispelled and smacked down. Next Avernus and Bel.
    The Chosen One is beating me badly... holy cow. Leveling up a naked Kensai to 7 while still leaving open enough easy XP for the Druid is absolutely NO fun. The Ankheg farming alone had killed me two times now cause i got tired at some point. A Sirene killed me another time after an arrow catched me a nanosecond before reaching the exit. @Grond0 seems to be much better at this... :D

Okay, lets recalibtrate the whole thing:

Character:
    Krell the Human Berserker

Destiny:
    Chosen One

Stars:
    * Cloak

In this case i imported a character @Vynn had rolled for me - thanks mate! Potions are for the weak so this one will be a reminiscence of an old idea from @Grond0. Lets hope this will bring me some luck! Or one of the most memorizing deaths... :D
    edited January 2018
    @Harpagornis I was just going to ask you about changing the Bane challenge to Knight challenge, as I haven't been using shields either, but saw that you already did that in op. :D Taking potions should make Bel much easier, and as the Bane himself has been banished from the op, I don't think there's a reason not to do so. So these are my choices to the Knight challenge:

FREE Weapons & Protection Scrolls
    * Armor
    * Boots & Gauntlets
    * Helmet
    * Potions
    * Mage Scrolls
    You said that @histamiini - wasnt my idea! :D

But if you like i can put it back to Bane - your choice! ;)
    edited January 2018
    @Harpagornis Nah I'm going to take the easier route against Bel. Off to scavenge what ever potions is on the ground and with Belegram... :D
    edited January 2018
    Hmmmm... okay @histamiini!! Maybe you can test Big B afterwards with Bane rules - just for the knowledge and thrill? ;)
    edited January 2018
    Yeah of course. :)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

Holy cow - why havent you read the posts where my poverty Druids faced exactly this problem @Grond0? :D

Oh I'm sure I've read them - I'm an expert reader. Unfortunately I'm somewhat less adept at remembering what I've read :p.
    edited January 2018
    Scavenging the castle grounds and Belegram netted 13 Invisibility, 8 Heroism, 5 Power, 6 Speed, 3 Storm and multiple Mind Focusing, Invulnerability etc. potions which should be well enough. Got the Spell Immunity scroll from Hephernaan's left chest, Spell Immunity: Conjuration and got the Crown of Lies from the Maze chest, which allows me to add three 4th level spells to Spell Sequencer. My plan sequencer wise is to make:

Minor Sequencer: Strength, Melf's Acid Arrow
    Spell Sequencer: Enchancted Weapon, Fireshield Blue, Improved Invisibility

use Spell Sequencer before lift ends, and make another with Robe of Aptitude. Then when Bel's used his Dispel, hit him with Minor Sequencer, which lowers his Thac0 by three rest of the fight, and warns him with acid damage, that he still could run away from Natural Redux. B)