Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• lightningrodbombomlightningrodbombom Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2020
    [Removed, message was waiting for mod approval and I didn't realize until it was too late]
    Post edited by lightningrodbombom on
    edited January 2020
    [Removed, message was waiting for mod approval]
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited January 2020
    @lightningrodbombom your report made me want to try again the solo LoB challenge.
    My latest run was a solo no-reload LoB poverty (only items I allowed my PC to use were the Tomes) run with a gnomish cleric/thief. Cleared BG1, skipped SoD, and got bored in BG2.

I'll first try with a berserker (7) / druid.

Using cheese, though, especially to get the XP needed to reach the BG1 cap.
    Relying on wand of polymorphing (usable by druids apparently), nymph/Algernon's cloaks, and druid summons should take care of BG1 (in fact, the easiest LoB solo run I did in BG1 was with a totemic druid, its special summons are really really powerful in BG1, and keep their utility far into BG2).

Not sure how SoD will turn out, but I'll try and take on Big B with a combination of Magic Resistance spell + Harm.

I'm also tempted to try some kind of Mage (lvl3 or 7) dialed to thief, used as a thief who can use wands & scrolls, plus a few low leveled spells. Not really powerful, but I've tried the thief/Mage multi or thief->Mage dual a few times already and want something different.
    edited January 2020
    @monico I've not tried berserker / druid so I can't really offer much advice on that :p.

I've tried playing BG1 LoB/SCS with a level 1 only character using algernon's cloak and it was kind of manageable (only problem was the random encounters), so If you don't mind cheesing with the charm cloaks BG1 really should be a cakewalk for any character. With the wands it's going to be easy game.

For SoD your berserker (7) / druid (12) should have an easy time with insect plague... or in general really because he looks pretty good on paper. I don't know if it works on Belhifet but if it does you can probably just throw it out before he can get any improved invisibility / gate thing going on. MR + Harm is going to be pretty sick if you can touch Bel in the first place: his AC without Imp. Inv. is -12 + -11 = -23 AC. I'd recommend keeping the violet potion from the nashkel carnival so that you can pump your STR to 25 for that encounter and buff yourself plenty, but even then I'm not sure if the blow will connect haha

A mage -> thief dual is definitely exotic. The one thing that makes M/T good is the synergy the build has in SoA & ToB, but when you do a mage -> thief I feel that's different story altogether. I'm trying to think of what kind of advantage this dual could have over bards or bard kits in general; after all, if you just want a thief who can use wands / scrolls a bard would fit the bill nicely. There are also a lot of decent BG1 & SoD bard items to give it an advantage.

Advantages of M -> T
    1. You could mod the game s.t. you can dual class into a thief class kit and that would be pretty fabulous.
    2. You get full access to thieving abilities (lockpick, find traps, hide in shadows, detect illusion, set traps) and you get more points to allocate to them. The only useful abilities is HIS and Detect Illusion though, set traps isn't very useful until your level is much higher
    3. You can turn invisible almost whenever you want with stealth
    4. You can backstab.

I'm not really sure how well this would turn out.
    Disadvantages of M -> T
    1. Very poor spell progression (haha obviously!)
    2. Thieves scale very poorly in THAC0 and that's pretty ugh in LoB.
    3. Thieving skills ultimately don't offer that much

I think such a character will have to focus alot on item usage and it's going to be a tough run in general; even after they reach SoA I feel there's not that much to look forward to either in such a build. A M/T would be able to exploit stuff like Mislead, PI and Simulacrum as and when they wish. A M -> T can only do so if and when he has the scrolls to do so, since Vhailor's Helm is shifted to ToB in SCS. Certainly such a build is feasible and definitely doable, but I think such a run would feel like you're playing with a handicap.

Personally I'm biased towards the C/M for wand/item-based LoB/SCS playthroughs, if only because they can carry so many debuff spells that make already-powerful items even more powerful, and have so many complementary abilities to make cheese even cheesier. But that's my opinion lol I am quite biased towards spellcasting in Baldur's Gate
    edited January 2020
    Oh I didn't know that! Whoa... Damn. MR by a level 12 Druid will put Bel's MR at 24%, so 2 attempts of Harm (factoring critical misses) = 1 - (0.24+0.76*0.05)^2 = 0.9227 ~= 92.27% chance of killing Bel within the first 4 rounds lmao
    edited January 2020
    [Removed, message was waiting for mod approval and I didn't realize. Sorry for the spam!]
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
    Davaeorn cannot be sighted; he will trigger his script if he sees you even if you're invisible.

He can be sighted pretty reliably if you're careful. You need to only be in sight range of him for a fraction of a second though (in my run I just got careless at that point and moved too far). An easy way to kill him in this challenge is to charm the guard, pull back the battle horrors and kill them (or strand them out of sight using invisibility), then sight Davaeorn and send the guard to attack him - as long as the PC doesn't activate him, Davaeorn won't react while the guard beats him up.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    MR + Harm is going to be pretty sick if you can touch Bel in the first place: his AC without Imp. Inv. is -12 + -11 = -23 AC. I'd recommend keeping the violet potion from the nashkel carnival so that you can pump your STR to 25 for that encounter and buff yourself plenty, but even then I'm not sure if the blow will connect haha

Hitting him is not actually the difficult bit - druids can make use of champions strength scrolls (which stack ...).

Precisely my plan ?
    A mage -> thief dual is definitely exotic. The one thing that makes M/T good is the synergy the build has in SoA & ToB, but when you do a mage -> thief I feel that's different story altogether.

[...]

A M/T would be able to exploit stuff like Mislead, PI and Simulacrum as and when they wish. A M -> T can only do so if and when he has the scrolls to do so, since Vhailor's Helm is shifted to ToB in SCS.

[...]

Personally I'm biased towards the C/M for wand/item-based LoB/SCS playthroughs, [...]

Well, thing is, I've played M/T or T->M a lot, enjoyed it much but want to try something new. At first I wanted to go plain thief, and thought "why not add wands?", hence the M->T.
    Not sure i'll ever pull it off though, it's probably gonna stay one of those planned character that I never get past Candlekeep (I actually already rolled one, a human Conjurer to be dualed at lvl 7).

Same goes for C/M. I love the class (especially gnome C/I), played a casual one (with NPC's and no LoB) a few months back, and had also a wonderful experience at my first attempt at this challenge (no SCS though) with a FMC, somewhat similar gameplay.

So, I want something new, and it's been a long time since my last druid run, hence the F->D (hesitated with my all-time-favourite solo Totemic Druid who really kicks a$$ in BG1)
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    @lightningrodbombom
    Very fun read so far.
    I'm at the part nwith Djarmid being unkillable, as far as I remember with tons of cheese I once managed to kill him, I don't remember what exactly I did, I might have posted it here but the thread has become quite large, so who knows.
    (Pretty certain it involved charming him with cloak and removing him to the outside area of Candlekeep)
    Either way he did not stay dead and showed upa t the final fight with Sarevok.
  • @semiticgod That is quite insightful. However, wouldn't you need to have minimum +3 ammunition / melee weapons to hit Belhifet? I think the limited amounts of +3 ammo may be the constraint in a battle of attrition for ranged based combatants (unless u were referring to using the +2 ammo on the demons).

As for the range, the first thing that came to mind was that the number was in feet (I'm not certain as I've never touched the code before). If we estimate that the range of vision is ~26ft (from https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Silence,_15'_Radius#cite_note-0) then we can estimate that 6ft is around a quarter of the character's range of vision. That wouldn't be a lot of space to work with, especially if there are 10 demons + Belhifet.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The 6 foot range is definitely very limited. You'd still have some demons periodically teleporting.

The +3 ammunition does run out. None of the classes that I mentioned would be able to kill Belhifet using voidstone ammunition alone before needing to resort to other weapons unless you.got very lucky with the dice rolls.
    edited January 2020
    Hmm, I need advice.

My Berserker (7) -> Druid (almost finished BG1) left me a bit unconvinced, I missed the gameplay of my favourite druid kit (Totemic Druid) or the versality of the Avenger kit.

I have already tried solo-LoB Totemic druid a few times, so I wanted to try the Avenger kit. Since I haven't prior experience with this kit, I thought I would first try a standart non-LoB run.

The Avenger is a beast in BG1. I rapidly hit lvl cap (ab)using the basilisks (in retrospect, it was overkill in normal mode). I owned Drizzt without a sweat (first cast Magic Resistance on him, then doom, had summons around him to aggro his attention while I launched several webs around him, he regularly failed his save and 2 Call Lightning finished him before I even had the chance to join the fun in spider form and its 5 APR).

The thing is, I am now so used to playing LoB with the enemie's large HP that regular critters feel underwhelming. They fall too fast now.

So I was wondering : how does the Avenger in LoB (without SCS so no IWD druid spells) fare later in the game, especially against Big B and in late-BG2/ToB ?
    I know @Harpagornis did a poverty run with an Avenger in this thread, so any advice would be very welcome.
    From what I read, the lack of some summoning spells from the IWD spellbook (the Beetles most notably) will probably make my progress much harder.

But I must say, I really loved the Avenger kit (much more than the Berserker->Druid, powerful but not so fun to me), and I want to try one on LoB. I just want to be sure that I plan it correctly, especially for Big B's fight.

The most obvious solution would probably be the same as any other druid (lots of Champion's Strength scrolls, Magic Resistance to lower Big B's MR, and hope to land a Harm spell). Since I will use gear, the use of Webs + RoFA can make this even easier I guess.

EDIT : also, general question, is it possible in any way to have your summons from the elevator follow you against Belhifet ? 'cause I'm already having a headache figuring how to evade the Dispel Magic at the beginning of the fight if I turn down Caelar
    Post edited by monico on
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    monico wrote: »
    Hmm, I need advice.

My Berserker (7) -> Druid (almost finished BG1) left me a bit unconvinced, I missed the gameplay of my favourite druid kit (Totemic Druid) or the versality of the Avenger kit.

I have already tried solo-LoB Totemic druid a few times, so I wanted to try the Avenger kit. Since I haven't prior experience with this kit, I thought I would first try a standart non-LoB run.

The Avenger is a beast in BG1. I rapidly hit lvl cap (ab)using the basilisks (in retrospect, it was overkill in normal mode). I owned Drizzt without a sweat (first cast Magic Resistance on him, then doom, had summons around him to aggro his attention while I launched several webs around him, he regularly failed his save and 2 Call Lightning finished him before I even had the chance to join the fun in spider form and its 5 APR).

The thing is, I am now so used to playing LoB with the enemie's large HP that regular critters feel underwhelming. They fall too fast now.

So I was wondering : how does the Avenger in LoB (without SCS so no IWD druid spells) fare later in the game, especially against Big B and in late-BG2/ToB ?
    I know @Harpagornis did a poverty run with an Avenger in this thread, so any advice would be very welcome.
    From what I read, the lack of some summoning spells from the IWD spellbook (the Beetles most notably) will probably make my progress much harder.

But I must say, I really loved the Avenger kit (much more than the Berserker->Druid, powerful but not so fun to me), and I want to try one on LoB. I just want to be sure that I plan it correctly, especially for Big B's fight.

The most obvious solution would probably be the same as any other druid (lots of Champion's Strength scrolls, Magic Resistance to lower Big B's MR, and hope to land a Harm spell). Since I will use gear, the use of Webs + RoFA can make this even easier I guess.

EDIT : also, general question, is it possible in any way to have your summons from the elevator follow you against Belhifet ? 'cause I'm already having a headache figuring how to evade the Dispel Magic at the beginning of the fight if I turn down Caelar

I actually started an Avenger very recently and in my opinion the beetles are a very small deal overall. (tho they are really nice ofc)
    Web is just very cheesy and beetles get stuck in it, so all they serve for is distraction, but then we might as well use other summons, especially vs Big b there is plenty of conusmable summons available.
    For Harpas poverty run that was different, cuz .... poverty, but for a normal run beetles are non essential.
    @Victor_Creed_SFV thx for the input, i wasn't sure if Beetles were immune to webs or something. Since they aren't, they don't seem to be such a big deal indeed.
    It's actually sad that Avengers don't get summons that are immune to webs (spiders or wyverns for example), that would have been cool (well, there's kitthix in BG2).

In SoD, I think the Mephits from the Ring of tiny friends, being winged creatures, should be immune to web and could synergize well with webs.
    monico wrote: »
    @Victor_Creed_SFV thx for the input, i wasn't sure if Beetles were immune to webs or something. Since they aren't, they don't seem to be such a big deal indeed.

The big advantage of the beetles is their ability to stun opponents without offering a save. That gives you the chance to do major damage quickly to some of the toughest enemies.
  • jaypeejaypee Member Posts: 47
    Do you guys play with the "Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold" SCS component?
    Seems nearly impossible to me for certain classes like pure fighters. You need a magical quarterstaff to hit the Clay Golem, and the only one available is in a container next to a Lich :/
    I don't play SCS, but that seems a bit weird, overly difficult, and not very logical from a RP standpoint. You haven't spent much time in spellhold, I don't see Irenicus taking the extra time to sell your personal items away.

Or do you get your equipment back when you escape the maze ? That would, in fact, be the most logical behaviour RP-wise.

For the purposes of solo+LoB, that component would probably be too much though, I'd suggest you either forgo this component, or just tweak it by placing some "normal" enchanted weapons in a easy-to-access container.
    Personally, I tend to use all the SCS components that make enemies more challenging - but not those difficulty components that are RP based (such as this one, replacing magic weapons with fine ones and removing unrealistically helpful items from particular locations). That probably reflects that I'm not really interested in the RP aspects of the game ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SaltySalty Member Posts: 5
    since when can u not kill montaron anymore after u get imoen anyone know ?? i even tried to use console and they wont die at all... i restarted doing this lob scs challenge again and i realy would like to kill these buggers so i can continue lol
    I kill him in all my games. It may be you're seeing the result of the level 0 component of SCS that allows you to level NPCs up and choose their skills when you first recruit them. One result of that is that it normally takes at least one attack to turn the NPCs hostile (that one won't hurt them). Shortly after that though you should be able to attack, damage and kill them.