Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited May 2017

I used CTRL+Q on Sendai and Abazigal. Surprisingly there is no "Heal" for Sendai memorized and no "Time Stop" for Abazigal - they are also not an innate abilty. Some items (the rings mainly) are not showing any info but thats maybe due to the bugs in my game. What i have observed so far is: Sendai seems to have endless charges of "Heal" that she will use on any ally that gets down to "badly injured" or "nearly dead". She ports up to her damaged friend and nearly instantly heal them up to full health again. So taking her out first could be vital. But she also can use Absolute Immunity and will insta summon a Fallen Deva at the start of the fight - or she just ports away from you so another GWW charge is wasted.

Next problem: If you start hunting down slippery Sendai good old Abazigal might start his Time Stop cast. If you get lucky he will not use it to hack you into pieces (he uses Gram +5) cause if he starts attacking you during Time Stop you are dead in seconds (41-50 damage, 8 APR, 6x GWW, 2x Critical Strike etc.). I have run through this horror hundreds of time - without the stunning axe - and i absolutely hate this fight. At least for Warriors! :D

However: If you get really luck - and this happens to me several times - you might take down Sendai fast enough with 2-3 GWW´s while Abazigal wastes his Time Stop for nothing so the kiting phase might starts and Mel joins the party for even more fun! :D

Haaa... That's real depressing stuff right here... I'll be another fly against a glass window and bang my head on the thing anyway !! Everything in this challenge seems feasible for any class... up until the Throne last fight. Being the only class without Harm or Time Stop, pure fighters seem to be doomed for failure.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024

Verity's level 8 weapon proficiency was single weapon style, for the AC bonus and for the increased crit chance. I still regret having placed the level 4 pip in TWF. Maybe it will be worthwhile to develop TWF later on (for example for shapehifting or Tensering purposes).
    @Blackraven, I remember that you use RR's component allowing 3 pips in TWF for thieves in your game builds. Is the TWF reluctance due to the lack of future proficiencies once you dual to mage, or lower mage THACO so not worth it? Or do you now consider SWS more helpful?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318

Grond0 said:

Unless Ascension changes it she is subject to spell disruption

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. The last time I played the SCS/Ascension final battle is about five years ago :no_mouth: But according to NI it's indeed immunity to the spell failure effect. @Arctodus, this makes the FoA a bit better than I made it sound. :smile:
    The FoA is indeed a good weapon as slowing Mel is helpful to reduce both spell and weapon damage. However, it's not the only answer as it's not easy to get through her stoneskins and most of the time the FoA will therefore be doing no damage. Mixing the FoA up with other weapons is therefore a good idea, e.g. the 2-handed sword that nerfs her THAC0 and the Big Metal Gun to try and prevent her spells.
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Wow, I never knew there wa a damage bonus besides Thac0 on unarmed characters, that's huge for bsers, since many enemies take some time before they switch to melee.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited May 2017
    Interesting stuff regarding backstabbing @Blackraven - another good reason to play a Thief! ;)

But what the hell on earth is the Big Metal Gun @Grond0 ? A special weapon from a Mod i dont know? Or just the BMU? How can it disrupt instant abilities? I hacked on Mel for quite some time now - not a single spell failure! ;)

EDIT: The Slow from FoA works on Mel (dropping her down from 5 APR to 4 APR) but Absolute Immunity negates everything. Looks like that without +6 weapons or the ability to dispel her buffs (how?) a Warrior is doomed...
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318

I tested the BMR with all three ammunition types: No one works!

You said earlier that the FoA worked - are you talking then about the upgraded version? I'm pretty sure that the pulse ammunition hits at +3, so if the basic FoA can hit her, that should as well.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Oh no @Harpagornis, what a shame! RL distractions... I've been there quite often actually. :expressionless:

I hope Verity can avenge Eklun. She's just slain Aldeth for the Seniyad, and backstabbed Molkar and his buddies. She's currently chillin' at the Cloakwood Druid grove, so the Mines aren't too far away.
    edited May 2017
    I just read Semiticgod's no reload run and he used scrolls of Prot. from Magic on Abazigal and Sendai.

... would that work ? Would it make the last Throne fight possible for a pure fighter ??
    @Harpagornis I don't think you understood. Semiticgod used PFM scrolls ON Abazigal and Sendai, thus preventing them to cast. Would that cheese work ?
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited May 2017
    Sorry i was in a rush and misread your post @Arctodus! Yes, the PFM Scroll works on Sendai and Abazigal and will only allow them to trigger their protections at the start - but they will not cast any more spells. This will definetly make things easier but is it enough? ;)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    Well, since I must finish a freelance contract in the coming weeks, we'll have to wait a while to see if it will be !!
    Haha that sounds super cheesy.
    edited May 2017
    Made a quick test : you can cast PFM on Mel too.
    Oh. Yeah. B)

@Arctodus
    I wish I could install SCS manually but ever since SoD came out that isn't possible for me on Windows, Initialise doesn't seem to work without BWS. :(

@Victor_Creed_SFV, seems you have your install in order again, which is nice. Just in case, you can also use @subtledoctor's SCS Hotfix. Just drop the files in the respective SCS folders. I'm playing BG1/SoD wih these fixes, and without BWS.
    Nice work with the Nymphs btw!

@Arctodus, I've been thinking a bit about your options. I did a quick search in NI, because my memory of all the weapons in BG2 isn't too fresh. The only weapon with a special on-hit effect that (1) doesn't allow a save and that (2) Mel isn't immune to, seems to be the FoA you already mentioned. Since Mel's immune to casting failure and enjoys increased casting speed factors (as well as APR), FoA Slow will probably not stop her from being a threat. All the other weapons either impose effects that Mel's immune to (such as the Ravager Halberd's 10% decapitation chance, or the Life Stealer +4's 15% level drain chance), or allow a save that original Mel may fail but not LoB Mel. Mel's original saves are 2/3/4/4/0. In LoB mode they are -3/-2/-1/-1/-5.
    There is one other option, at least in my setup: a weapon from the Rogue Rebalancing mod. I never play without it because I love the changes it makes to Bards, but if you're a purist you may not like it. Anyway, the mod's Chosen of Cyric encounter (a very hard encounter thanks to very well-written enemy AI) rewards you with the Stormcharged Axe +3, which may be upgraded to a +5 version with a 15% chance of stunning a target for one round on each hit. This is would be the only weapon in my install that could seriously debilitate Mel. Without it, a warrior in my install would have no choice but to try and kill Mel with pure damage.
    @Blackraven
    Your link only provides me with a general page about mods not a direct link o tthe hotfix and I can't seem to find it manually.
    HAd to uninstall BG2 again, installing BWS for BG1 destroyed my BG2 install. :disappointed:
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I've included the line SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Extra Combat Info','1') in my LUA file. It gives more detailed information on to hit and damage calculations.

When did they fix/add back that feature? It took me long enough to notice o.0 TobEx restored it.