Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317

@Blackraven
    Your link only provides me with a general page about mods not a direct link o tthe hotfix and I can't seem to find it manually.

@Victor_Creed_SFV have a look at https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/828532/#Comment_828532
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Thx @Blackraven and @Grond0 I found it and will install (once again :D) hopefully after this I will never ever have to do this again. :disappointed:
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2017

I didn't know yet that Spiders Bane's free action negated haste.

Afaik it doesn't. It prevents it (I may be wrong; EE can now change this, I don't know if it did); however if you're hasted first and then equip the sword, at least on vanilla game there's no way any Free Action effect will remove haste from you. Bar dispeling it, nothing will.
    Fwiw, I think Haste being blocked by FA is plain stupid. In a game where MR doesn't stop beneficial spells from working, where Dragon's Breath is party-friendly but a Fireball isn't, the fact devs decided to block Haste with FA is...meh. Even in PnP FA blocks only impairments to movement, not benefits. It's called Freedom of Action, so you should be "free" to move quickly should you desire to.

Love the portrait, btw. GL.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited May 2017
    @Blackraven Sorry for Verity... Also, since your trying to no reload LoB SCS and Ascension, by all means use mod items !! This is the ultimate no reload challenge, give yourself a small break !!

Well, if there's only two scrolls of Prot. from Magic and they doesn't work on Mel, at least, I won't feel this is a cheesy way to beat her !! If I had only one to spare, I think I would use it on Sendai to prevent her to cast Heal on the Big Five.

I also would need someone good in math. If I am to use the Stormcharge axe with its 15% chance of stunning Mel, I'd like to know what percentage I have of stunning Mel every round if I hit her 16 time per round (10 from my GWW and 6 from my simmy on Improved Haste).

@Arctodus and @Harpagornis, I'm a bit surprised this still works. I remember one of my solo characters in an EE run only being to cast it on self. Could be a good option though.

Just to explain this:
    - in BG2 / BGT scrolls could be cast on another character, but the behavior in vanilla BG1 was they affected self-only.
    - for BGEE, although the engine is now based on BG2 some individual effects have been reverted to vanilla BG1 behavior, including PfM scroll use.
    - PfM can still be cast on others in BG2EE. Although there are only 2 scrolls available they can be used by simmy's (including from Vhailor's Helm), so this tactic could be used for quite a number of encounters if desired.
    Arctodus said:

@Blackraven Sorry for Verity... Also, since your trying to no reload LoB SCS and Ascension, by all means use mod items !! This is the ultimate no reload challenge, give yourself a small break !!

Well, if there's only two scrolls of Prot. from Magic and they doesn't work on Mel, at least, I won't feel this is a cheesy way to beat her !! If I had only one to spare, I think I would use it on Sendai to prevent her to cast Heal on the Big Five.

I also would need someone good in math. If I am to use the Stormcharge axe with its 15% chance of stunning Mel, I'd like to know what percentage I have of stunning Mel every round if I hit her 16 time per round (10 from my GWW and 6 from my simmy on Improved Haste).

Just use a calculator and type in 16x0.15? :P
    Granted the axe doesn't give Mel a saving throw?

Once again thx to @Blackraven and @Grond0 my BG2 now works, finally without EEt, I'm so happy. :D
    edited May 2017
    @Grond0 I'm pretty sure simmys can't use quickslot items anymore. They can use charges from items, though, but not from quickslot. That means that PFM scrolls would have to be preciously conserved.

@Victor_Creed_SFV That's not the right math. 0.15 × 16 = 2.4, which would mean that it would be possible to insure over 100% that Mel would be stunned in a round. But that's not how it works : 15% x 16 times in a round could theoriticaly fail, because every hit is percent base. I know it's a distribution thing, aka the more you can hit her in a round, the closer you can get to 100% chance to stun, without being able to achieve actual 100%. It's a curved distribution : it gets closer ans closer to 100% without achieving it. I'd like to know to base chance I have, and also the difference between 16 and 18 hits in percent, to know if it's worthy to go grandmastery in axes, for the extra APR (I play with the True Grandmastery tweak). I'd like to calculate such a thing, but I'm way too rusty in math to do so. Being a librarian has it's disadvantage...
    edited May 2017
    @Grond0 Thanks !! It gives me a good idea.

Me being at level 40, the simmy would be level 20, thus only have 1 WW. Or maybe, even if they're lower level, they have all you innate abilities regardless of their level ? Something I haven't remarked yet, I just got HLA.
    Oh yeah @Arctodus I forgot it's possinble to miss. :D

Your simmy can use the whole set of HLA´s your main char can use so this doubles the GWW fun! :D

Please remember @Arctodus that you will most probably need one PfM scroll against Abazigal as he will constantly dispel all your buffs to get in his imprisonment for instant Game Over! ;)

With regard to the Stormcharged Axe: How on earth can you beat the Chosen of Cyric as a Warrior? Their stats, abilities and items just look insane! Never have fought them in practice though as i dont use the required mod. :D

That's, hum... another problem. Well, the readme says that you can actually frighten them by turning into the Slayer, so they will try to flee. I'll try to kill Grok before he leaves !!
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited May 2017
    Ah, thats interesting @Arctodus. I would immediately test it but i lack the mod. Anyway: 640 HP from Grok takes some time! Maybe you should try to get Axe of Unyielding first to instakill him - if he isnt immune. Or maybe charm him with Nymph Cloak??? Do you know how much time you get before they have fled?

The Axe Calculation is too theoretical for me cause in the final fight you wont get a perfect scenario where you can easily start the beating on Mel. She has many, many rounds before to cast multiple Time Stops, gate in dozens of Demons or Fallen Devas as long as only one of the Big Five (or Sarevok) is alive...

The only chance would be: Bring everyone down to nearly dead and kill them one after another to trigger the half round stun on Mel. When all are dead the final 1vs1 can start - theoretically! :D
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited May 2017
    Nope, no idea at all yet. I'll gather everything I can and deal with it then. The only time I did that fight, I persuaded them to flee, so... Maybe stun from Celestial Fury ? We'll see...

Edit : What you just said about the last Throne fight is exactly my blueprint. With the two scrolls of PfM, you could turn the fight against the Five into a kiting session against melee grunts. You take four of them to near death, then stat drain Yaga-Shura with Kachiko's Wakizachi, then kill all the five real fast, then get on stunned Mel and hope luck is on your side. It *might* be possible this way, but to actually execute it seems far from a sure strat.
    Post edited by Arctodus on
    Arctodus said:

@Grond0 I'm pretty sure simmys can't use quickslot items anymore. They can use charges from items, though, but not from quickslot. That means that PFM scrolls would have to be preciously conserved.

@Arctodus I'm not quite sure what you mean by can't use quickslot, but can use charges? The EE still allows quickslot use, including scrolls - so unless your mods change that it should be possible to, e.g. use a scroll of PfM via simmy on Abazigal without reducing your stock.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited May 2017
    Yeah @Grond0 is right! Your simmy can also use scrolls & potions. This most probably would be the only chance to take out Abazigal and Sendai. But this would also mean: No simmy when fighting Mel 1vs1 later on! ;)
    @Grond0 I meant all the charges from the backpack icon, such as invisibility from Sandthief ring. Those a simmy can use, but nothing from quickslot. It's maybe a tweak in my install (can't remember in vanilla, I hadn't played it in years). It's better that way though, because I could have trivialized quite a few mage fight with this strat. Having finite use of scroll of PfM makes them that much more valuable.

Yeah @Grond0 is right! Your simmy can also use scrolls & potions. This most probably would be the only chance to take out Abazigal and Sendai. But this would also mean: No simmy when fighting Mel 1vs1 later on! ;)

That's also why I would refrain from doing that at the Throne. I need the simmy to help me stunlock Mel.
    @Blackraven
    Is removing the Curse from Brages sword a mod or how do you get the dialogue for it?
    edited May 2017
    @Victor_Creed_SFV It's from a mod called Thalantyr item upgrade.
    Post edited by Arctodus on
    Ok, shame I don't have it. :D
    So I went back to my F/M/C today and started out having a real bad time in Durlag's level 4 and then vs Sarevok's girl in the Iron Throne.
    I was not used to some weaknesses of the F/M/C anymore having played Druid for some time and ended up only grabbing the staff of striking and sling +3 and quickly porting out never to return to Durlag's.
    Then in the Iron Throne I ended up cheesing with a malison scroll out of sight (skeleton warriors previously turned her hostile) then charming her which automatially summoned her golems who destroyed her.

I felt like I lost all fun with this char, when I faced Slythe and Krystin, but while I was trying to charm Slythe he instagibbed me and I realized he does pierce damage.
    I instantly realized my slime polymorph is immune to both Krys's magic and Slythe's pierce, but for good measure tried Malison charm one more time, which succeeded, but after both of them were almost dead the charm somehow wore of or got dispelled and I got instagibbed again.
    After sevral failed tries of charming again I realized why I never saw a save vs breath from Slythe and he still didn't get charmed, since he had magic resistance.
    I then went balls to the wall and polymorphed into slime and facetanked Slythe, he couldn't damage me!
    Krys could only damage me with Melfs which she doesn't have to many off, so I used Monster summoning wands to wear them down further, Slythe fell first then after some time Krys followed!

The palace ambush will be next but I'll have to read up on all your awesome strategies here first before I'll attempt it.