Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Droolit as always having murder in her heart went to the undercellar rid nature of the two fiendish doppelgangers Slythe and Krystin.
    With this not being an outside area she was severely handicapped but a new strategy was to be tested.
    5 nymphs were summoned instead of the usual 3 + dogees and cast hold monster at Slythe while Droolit was invis. Hold monster actually has a -2 save malus and while it failed on Slythe the invisible Krystin got held by it.Droolit waited till 2 nymphs died and then went visible summoning 2 dogees.
    The slowwitted Slythe not realizing he was on his own gave his usual lip to Droolit, but quickly got chopped down to injured at the same time hacking away at the dogees.
    After one was killed and the other at injured Droolit joined in in melee combat, Slythe instantly switching to attack her instead, not finishing off the dogee.
    Her ironskins absorbed the first few hits, after that Durlags goblet had to be used once before Slythe breathed his last.
    Now Droolit had only to wait for Krystins hold to wear off to make her visible (sadly I did not meorize true sight or other anti invis) but that didn't take much longer.
    Krystin wasn't much of a match for Droolit + Dogee even tho there was one scary moment when a Chromatic Orb flew her way and she quickly gulped a blue antimagic potion which I usually never use.

Now Cythandria had to die and even tho all 5 nymphs failed their hold spell, they succeded in Cy wasting all her area effect spells and even tho Droolit stayed invis to avoid the golems, when Cy walked close to her she still initiated dialogue and called them.

While Cy stood still the golems wandered around and once Droolit understood the pattern she revealed herself to Cy when the golems started to walk south and lured her down the stairs.
    Here she summoned her dogees and together they quickly finished her off.
    ArctodusCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    Aaaand Droolit finished the palace ambush.
    She decided not to charm any nobles but simply summoned 5 nymphs and precast some minor defensive buffs.
    Triggering the transformation she immediately cast plague of insects, hindering any spells for quite some time and then teaming up on the shaman with her nymphs.
    Once 2 nymphs died, which took some time since they weren't focused 2 dogees replaced them, the insect plague wore of but the shaman also died, shortly after him the assassin.
    The mage hid in the south room, so the other doppelgangers died first, then the mage last.
    Lila was invisible in the middle of combat but unluckily got dispelled and Sarevok decided to aggro her, after he hit Droolit once and she moved away.
    Luckily he switched between her and the almost dead dogees as Belt was dead and her dying would end the game!
    Soon he had enough and teleported out like the coward he is.
    ArctodusBlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited May 2017
    Oh yeah, another one last thing... :p

@Harpagornis & @semiticgod : Power Attack is useless against Ascension LoB Mel. Her saving throw vs death is 1, but she gets the -5 bonus from LoB, thus pushing it effectively at -4, rendering Power Attack ineffective. I was actually thinking of selecting lots of Power Attack instead of GWW with Caligula at one point, but testing proved it's useless against her. Smite is awesome because it's a sure stun, but you can take it only once. Oh well.

When you look closely at these things though, it would actually make sense for a fighter with two weapons to select lots of Power Attack if you don't play LoB, because the chance of stunlocking an opponent is really good then. Team that with a Greater Malison and you could easily have 50%+ chance for every single hit of stunning an enemy for 2 rounds. And it last longer than GWW. Power Attack might be one the most underrated HLA a fighter can have.
    semiticgoddessVictor_Creed_SFVCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

You start up a Legacy of Bhaal run with an Abjurer/Thief and what happens? Your mods prevent your familiar from getting HP bonuses, they take away your Fairy Dragon's Invisibility 10' Radius spell, and then a bunch of skeletons with ranged weapons ambush you during an area transition.

Death.

Is there a safe way of getting to Shoal?

You should normally get a HP boost, and quite a significant one in LoB. In my setup some alignments get bigger boosts than others. However, the familiars in BG1 don't have all the abilities they have in BG2. The fairy dragon only gets Invisibility 10' Radius in BG2.
    Victor_Creed_SFVArctodusCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2017
    I agree you should get a HP boost with a familiar. If mods are not affecting it then familiar HPs in LoB are increased by x2 + 20 - generally giving 44 HPs, so that the mage receives a bonus of 22. That's helpful, but certainly does not guarantee safety on the area transitions going south to High Hedge and then on to Shoal - there's a chance (though quite a small one) of an archer ambush on both transitions.

Mages have the opportunity to learn the armor spell scroll in Candlekeep and that increases the chance of survival in an ambush. Personally I've given up using autopause, but that will definitely also enhance your prospects of either just running or casting a helpful spell (like shield).
    Victor_Creed_SFVArctodusCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Sorry about that @Grond0, do you use and recharge wands much?
    Victor_Creed_SFVVynnCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    Damn, what a heartbreaker @Grond0 .

I installed the Mod order monk yesterday but it was very late so I only looked at some superficial stuff in BG2 with EE-Keeper.

From what I've seen the monk should be viable in BG1 getting not only +1 fists, but also having better early AC than the vanilla monk, which on top of that can be enhanced with unique Monk "vestments" that can be equipped in the armor slot.
    Also and this I like a lot you can play halfling monk which is not as good as dwarf getting -1 ST but still much better than human, getting +5 saves.

The saving malus for stunning and killing blow increasing from level 15 on (-1 every 5 levels) doesn't help in BG1 ofc but should make Melissan a cakewalk.

The different orders are interesting, tho I tried out Long Death monk and it performed much worse than I expected and the poison ability doesn't seem to work at all.

On the "downside" the monk only gets up to 50% MR which hardly matters at all, with items that's still 70% and you get the godly halfling saves in exchange.
    Also I'm not quite sure if there's other monk specific items introduced by the mod I've overlooked that raise MR.
    (Besides the vestments there's also gauntlets which increase Thac0 and dmg)
    BlackravenGrond0CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    edited May 2017
    @Vynn
    One would have to use hit and run as with thieves, from what I hear Potions of invis are good for non druid peasants vs Big B.
    I just don't see a way I like the BG1 monk, even with mod. :(
    Twinkle doesn't work on my Lawful neutral/evil limited kit and I don't like to restart with another kit since Twinkle alone will not change the sad state the monk is in.
    -4 is the best AC you can get (-6 with twinkle, -7 with the dreaded claw of kaz), bear in mind that wearing no armor there is no modifiers to slash/pierce/missile additional to what belts do, so only against crush the monk looks halfway decent but having -7 too -10 vs slash is a death sentence.
    Ofc potions work quite well, 0 AC bring a fully leveled BG1 monk to -8 without twinkle and Kaz, but I jsut don't know if it's enough for SoD, since my knowledge about SoD is slim and monks can't use shortbows with arrows of detonation.

Ofc without xp cap the monk would tear thru BG1 and SoD but I can see how that would be too much :P
    ArctodusVynnCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    Kensai sounds super interesting, will you dual Dorn?

Have any of you guys charmed Korlasz lately?
    I decided to try out how far into SoD I would get with a monk, but I can't for the life of me charm Korlasz, and she never shows a save vs breath, no reaction to the Algernon's at all, just intiates dialogue and goes hostile.
    VynnArctodusCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov