Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited May 2017
    No @Victor_Creed_SFV these quests are not linked with each other @Victor_Creed_SFV - dont worry! ;)

Eklun in the meanwhile stomped the Fallen Temple of Bhaal!!

vs Ziatar: Fully buffed and protected against her Magic, Poison and Fear he summoned three Spirit Wolves cause she is quite vulnerable to CC. He lured Ziatar out closed the nearby doors and once he healed up from her poison breath casted Insect Swarm + Doom. It was quite funny to watch that the Doggies were able to stunlock her nearly for the whole time so she went down pretty quickly!

vs Neothelid: For this one Eklun rested in between outside (using invisibility) and buffed up again to counter the CC´s. He went this time with three Spirit Lions while trying to land two Harms - and failed. But even without bringing the strange beast down to 1 HP right away the Lions ravaged the HP´s of the Neothelid in nearly no time. Good cats!

vs Akanna: Eklun sacrificed his Lions to the Airial Servants, closed the door and used Insect Swarm on himself to hinder the invisible Akanna from further spell casting. With three Nymphs joining the fun the High Priestress got hold shortly after and went down without any resistance!

With the Wardstone in his backpack Eklun moved out again - and got nearly killed!!! As his Iron Skin had been eaten up by the Neothelid before he moved over a trap in the Bugbear Cave and got hit for 86 damage. Thanks to the good gods i had healed him up to 101 HP right before otherwise he would have been instakilled. Should be more careful next time! :D

P.S. Skipped the Green Dragon and the Rhino Beetle as Eklun couldnt use the items anyway!
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Bah, cats are only good for sacrifice!
    Good dogees. :tongue:
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992

When remembering how much reloads i needed with Su´kka the Barbarian in SoA before she was big enough to stomp most opposition easily i have my doughts going for level 15 in a no-reload scenario. Any thoughts about this one @Arctodus after playing a pure Fighter through SoA? ;)

Well, to be honest, before you get into HLAs levels, there's no easy fight with a fighter. Going through every enemy in the Slavers quest took me quite a while and plenty of kiting. To get through tougher quests like Umar Hills or Trademeet, you absolutely need to rely on cheese (aka PfU in Umar Hills, waiting for spell protections to go down, ...), because, otherwise, you don't have much options as a pure fighter.

But, when you get to HLAs, things change drastically, because HLAs break SoA, even on LoB. I never had an easier time dealing with the Planar Prison and the Planar Sphere in my life. With HLAs, no-reloading these places seems quite realistic to me. I can't believe how laughably easy the Warden was : he couldn't even get into melee range before he died. The biggest threat for a pure fighter are the Yuan-ti mages : not only are they tough on their own, but they often come in group. I still don't have a reliable blueprint for a group of them, other than avoiding them altogether. But, with 15 levels of druids, these shouldn't pose as much of a problem.

So, if grinding Gauth is an effective way to get your druid levels back, by all means do so, your life will be much easier that way.
    Can anyone confirm or deny what I jusat read?
    Supposedly mind flayers only hit as +1.
    So even a level 1 fighter with fire elemental transformation could tank flayers.
    As far as I can see Mind flayers can't hit above +1 with their Int drain and also don't seem to hit too well vs -15 AC in the first place.
    But they have a special ability in SCS called Ballistic attack which can do over 100 crush damage, so tanking them with a level 1 fighter transformed into elemental might be a bad idea. :P
    edited May 2017
    They can still hit you in Elemental Form but they will need to roll a 20 (THAC0 7 only). The ballistic attack - as you already stated - also goes through and your brain still gets eaten up (-5 INT per hit). Tested it some minutes ago! ;)
    edited May 2017
    I guess they never managed to hit before ballistic attack came, I only kited one Mind Flayer via Invis in the sewers and didn't fight back and let it hit me for about a minute until the ballistic attack went off.
    But I guess you can get unlucky and they use it right away. :D
    So has anyone ever tried to greater malison - doom - magic resistance (cleric) - feeblemind big B?

EE Keeper Big B has save vs spell of 5, which LoB should bring down to 0 but idk what the increased level does for his saves.

with the penalties a 0 would become a 8 which would mean a save is very unlikely. (but ofc still possible and so is a random magic resist, even tho a mage/cleric is only level 9 cleric, so it's only 18% mr)
    edited May 2017
    Someone mentioned in another thread that Feeblemind can affect Big B BUT he still attacks!!

Dont know if he still uses abilities - test it! ;)
    edited May 2017
    Holy cow!! Eklun finally faced the Crusader Attacks on Coalition Camp and got suprised once more...

Dragonspear Castle and the Underground was rushed quite hard getting only essential items (Myconids, Ankhegs, Ring of the Crusade and some more) before preparing for the attacks!

WAVE 1 - Trolls and Ogres
    For this one Eklun used two Fire Elementals and three Spirir Lions (no Doggies again) while charmed Dynaheir casted Web right before the Wave triggered (the enemies of this wave are rather suspectible to CC!). With most enemies webbed Eklun went in with the Undead allies and casted Insect Swarm and Call Lightning while throwing in some Darts in between. To his surprise ALL allies including the summons survived - that was too easy!

WAVE II - Crusader Mages
    With one rest thanks to Dosia he used his summons and the Wizard Slayers for this one. And again the continues Insect Swarm hindered the Mages from most casting so they got slaughtered pretty quickly (Eklun still gulped a Potion of Magic Blocking to be safe in any case!) Again nearly everyone survived and he moved on with his five summons - resting once more!

WAVE III - Clerics and Cavaliers
    With the War Mages in the back Eklun used his summons and switched between Insect Swarm and Call Lightning while replacing any summon that went down (they were badly wounded right from the start). The DoT and the Lightning hurted the enemies a lot preventing them from healing while the Spirit Lions ravaged through the Clerics. At the end he had to replace four summons but it was still not a real fight. The War Mages for instances did not get a single scratch!

WAVE IV - Crusader Generals

Get in more summons while hiding behind the immortal Ally Bosses. At the end some Nymphs joined the fun paralyzing the rest and burning them down with lightnings - what a slaughter!!

To be honest: This was one of the easiest defenses i have ever played. Even easier than shooting Detonation Arrows at 4APR thanks to the weapon immunity of his summons. Insect Swarm was godlike as always while the lightning strikes pushed the DPS even higher!

Time to prepare for the Siege of Dragonspear and Big B!!! ;)

P.S. Dynaheir survived all waves! :D
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    1. Feeblemind does not affect Belhifet at all; he's immune. He is only vulnerable to Hold Monster.

2. The Magic Resistance spell shouldn't set Belhifet's MR to 40; you have to be level 20 to do that. At level 12 for a druid or level 10 for a cleric, it should set his MR to 24 or 20, respectively.

3. Mind Flayer attacks strike as +2 weapons, not +1. The only shapeshifting ability that will grant immunity to their INT drain is Iron Golem form, and that's only if you have Spell Revisions installed. For non-mages, the only defense against INT drain is low AC and Potions of Genius and Mind Focusing.

4. Earth Elemental form should grant 50% damage resistance even without Improved Shapeshifting. If it doesn't, it's a bug.
    @semiticgod
    Ok thanks for the clarification as to Belhifet, Hold Monster has -2 as well so it should prove quite deadly.

If 2. was directed at me, I never said it should set his MR to 40, but rather thata vleric/mage at 9 should set it to 18%. ;)

Ah ok that's interesting about the mind flayers, I guess their Thaco is just really bad.

4. I tested the form and it definitely doesn't give 50% resistance as I also tested it in a fight, after it already didn't get displayed.
    But as I said before my Adventurer's Guide doesn't say anything about resistance either.
    @Harpagornis
    Glad you're having fun with Lightning it's my fav spell by far. :D (After the dogees ofc :tongue: )
    Noooooo.
    I started another testchar on SoD, a Mage/Cleric and somehow managed to overwrite Droolits Save...
    edited May 2017
    1. Yeah Hold Monster works on Big B - with some preparation!
    2. Agreed on the MR spell! Its set to 24% (on level 12) so the chance of landing Harm on Big B is 0,5x0,76 = 3,8%! Still pretty low!
    3. I never cared about Mind Flayers and normally just skip them in my runs.
    4. Agreed with @Victor_Creed_SFV. No DR on Earth Elemental Form - strange!

EDIT: Noooo @Victor_Creed_SFV!!! Who let the dogs out???
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,324

4. Earth Elemental form should grant 50% damage resistance even without Improved Shapeshifting. If it doesn't, it's a bug.

What's the source for this @semiticgod? I don't think standard earth elementals get damage resistance, so why should the transformed druid?
    @Grond0: If it doesn't grant damage resistances without Improved Shapeshifting, that's news to me. I thought Improved Shapeshifting just gave it immunity to nonmagical weapons.

If you're playing without Improved Shapeshifting, I guess the better shapeshift would be Fire Elemental form. But Improved Shapeshifting would give us a much more powerful option.
    @semiticgod the installation I use for this thread has Improved Shapeshifting - and as you say that has 100% resistance for the earth elemental. There's no resistance in unmodded BG2EE though (and I don't think there was any in vanilla BG2).
    Grond0 said:

The idea of a late dual from totemic druid is interesting though so perhaps I'll earmark that idea for my next failure after Caesar has crashed and burned ...

Which he's now done. As usual I started with good intentions, but soon started taking more risks and eventually Caesar was 2 HPs short of surviving a maximum damage final tick from Nimbul's acid arrow.

Here's the druid I rolled up after my earlier post - just in case :p.
    edited May 2017
    The Totemic-Druid-Hype-Train starts rolling even more with @Grond0 on the move! What crazy moves can we expect in the near future? And which kind of pet will be his favourite? The faithful doggies? The speedy cats? The grumpy bear? Or the sibilating snake?

We will see! :D

Eklun has started the Siege on the Castle of Dragonspear - Big B isnt far anymore! ;)
    edited May 2017
    The Demon Waves in Avernus got ravaged by Spirit Lions + Harm - at least the first wave. Buffed up with Oil of Speed, Potion of Power and Potion of Magic Shielding Eklun managed to take down one Abishai with Harm while the Lions killed some more. Once they started to vanish Eklun summoned in four Myconids which proved to be enough destroying the first wave.

The second wave proved to be much tougher. One Abishai went down to Harm while the Lions managed to kill three more - but it was still not enough. Eklun had to use Myconids and Ankhegs to wear down the last big Demons with only the smaller ones left. And the Erinyes! This slippery fish proved to be a real pain in the ass as it played hit & hide over and over again once it ran out of arrows. Eklun only got one chance to hit before it went invisible again. Without True Sight he had to wait until it appeared again - which lasted up to half a minute sometimes so he had to refresh his magic protections (the beast always tries to charm you). It took nearly 15 minutes until victory was official...

Time for some rest before taking on Big B! ;)
    @Harpagornis: Is it possible in your install for your Totemic Druid to summon more than one spirit critter at once? Last I played one, the Summon Spirit Animal spell ignored a clouded aura (though it still caused a clouded aura after use).

I found it extremely useful for summoning a wall when the party was in danger or caught off-guard.
    edited May 2017

And which kind of pet will be his favourite? The faithful doggies? The speedy cats? The grumpy bear? Or the sibilating snake?

The one I use most is the cat as that gives out the highest damage. However, for one-on-one encounters I think the bear is generally the best - the extra HPs give a bit more survivability against LoB creatures that hit pretty easily, while the scare ability triggers quite regularly reducing damage taken (the disadvantage of using bears in more general melee is that scared creatures may well run round and start attacking your druid). I think you said you'd tested the lion against the bear and the former was slightly better, but that's probably because it was immune to fear - unlike most enemies.

The snakes are best against arcane casters in core games, but on LoB with the improved saving throws and better spells for casters I'm not sure that's still the case - though they're still pretty good if you can get the mage to attack something else. I haven't used wolves yet in this run, but I expect their time will come :p.

@semiticgod in my installation totemic summons obey normal aura restrictions.

Like my other characters, Tard isn't taking the easy basilisk route - in fact as his intelligence is sub-par (and he's too mean to pay for potions) he probably won't be doing any basilisks for quite some time. He's been fairly cautious in his approach to encounters though and has just worked his way through the Nashkel Mine - currently sitting at level 6.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, the Spirit Bear is the toughest one @Grond0 but like you mentioned its panick can be a little annoying. For pure DPS the Lions are perfect but against Mages i think that we - me and @Victor_Creed_SFV - prefer Spirit Wolves as they will stunlock them quite easily (Doom!) so they never get a chance to do anything. Quite powerful even in SoD! Throw in some Nymphs and most enemies will be paralyzed to death - very funny! :D

Eklun is standing right before Big B - time to buff up. His equipment:

Head: Kiels Helmet
    Neck: Amulet of Protection +2
    Armor: Ankheg Plate
    Hands: Legacy of the Masters
    Weapon: Icingdeath +3
    Shield: Steadfast +2
    Ring 1: Claw of Kazgaroth
    Ring 2: Ring of the Crusade
    Waist: Cloverleaf
    Feet: Boots of Speed
    Back: Displacer Cloak

Buffs:
    PfM, Violet Potion, Potion of Agility, Potion of Fortitude, Potion of Defense, 5+ Potions of Power, Regeneration Potion, Oil of Speed

HP: 200+
    Chance to Hit Big B: 50%
    Chance to get hit by Erinyes: 5%

The main reason for this setup are the Erinyes Archers who will be a big pain as you cannot avoid their arrows all the time. If we get unlucky and Big B will summon two or more its essential to minimize the incoming damage. Thanks to 79 Potions of Power we can use them to stack HP into the sky so the danger of getting burned down is quite low. With fast hit & run Big B will mostly get no chance to retaliate and we avoid getting surrounded by the Demons. Lets hope that 125 Invisibility Potions are enough (plus Sandthief Ring!).

Hopefully we will get to chance to take on Big B soon - taking revenge for Vyzz! :D
    Best of luck with your demon hunting Harpagornis.

Regrettably Tard #1 paid the price for being kind to basilisks :D. He was up to level 7 and on his way to Durlag's Tower when a basilisk ambush triggered and focused its gaze on him before he could react.

Restarting, this time I got a potion of genius and quickly sought revenge from the basilisks. Tard #2 has just finished the last of those off and is also up to level 7 (though in a small fraction of the time). Annoyingly though, #1 had a superb 61 HPs at this stage. #2 has a much more mediocre 45, but c'est la vie.
    edited May 2017

Yeah, the Spirit Bear is the toughest one @Grond0 but like you mentioned its panick can be a little annoying. For pure DPS the Lions are perfect but against Mages i think that we - me and @Victor_Creed_SFV - prefer Spirit Wolves as they will stunlock them quite easily (Doom!) so they never get a chance to do anything.

It's largely a question of levels. If you've got more than 1 wolf and they're at level 10 I agree they'll be effective against most things. A single wolf at level 3 though offers +10 to saving throw (+8 if doomed) to avoid paralysation for 3 seconds and would struggle to stun-lock tougher opponents. For some opponents I'm also reluctant to risk items being destroyed by the cold damage.
    edited May 2017
    As i use the Experification XP loop i only focus on level 10 summons @Grond0 and there the Wolves work nearly perfectly (even without Doom most of the time). The destruction of items via cold damage never happened to me. For you @Victor_Creed_SFV?
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    Stunlock is good as soon as you have 2 wolves at least against single enemies.

@Harpagornis I can not say I ever saw that happen but I honestly wasn't even aware it could happen.
    But I guess if it happened to unique loot I wanted I would have noticed.
    Hm @Harpagornis
    Now I really wonder whether I actually overwrote my save or mine disappeared, too.
    I'm always super careful with these things and was quite shocked.
    GoG Galaxy has this new cloudsave feature I wonder if that messed up anything...