Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Maybe you should just do the Basilisk XP loop @Grond0 - fast and safe XP! No? ;)

Bavaborass the Dwarven Fighter/Cleric has done it as well as grabbing most of his early-mid game stuff and also pushed reputation to 20. He was once ambushed by an Winter Wolf and as he already had reached the map border i did not switch to the Cold Immune Belt. That was nearly fatal. He got hit right in the moment when area transposition happened so i could only see the result after he arrived in Nashkel. He got hit for 32 damage - only 2 left. *Phew*

Oh, i had to restart once cause Shoal did something weird: She triggered the talking even though she went hostile once she was nearing Bavaborass. As there was no escape from death Bavaborass found himself up again in Candlekeep. Despite these smaller troubles the Skeleton Warriors are doing a great job at blowing most opposition apart. Main Quest will be next! ;)
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    @Grond0
    I have autopause on Weapon unusable.
    This isn't always practical but would have helped in your specific situation.
    I personally also find it useful if in BG2 I transform into Trollform to regen, leave the game and do something else, it also autopauses when you transform back.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,388
    edited May 2017

Maybe you should just do the Basilisk XP loop @Grond0 - fast and safe XP! No? ;)

Regrettably that falls outside the tactics I would use in a no-reload run B). A major part of the difficulty of no-reload is maintaining focus through the many encounters normally required to build up your abilities. For me, attempting that gives a good balance between having fun with gameplay and knowing that success is perfectly possible, even though rarely achieved. Using cheesy tactics may be fun, but removing too much of the difficulty would not be conducive for me to want to continue to play over the years. I remember having a lot of fun breaking the difficulty on Morrowind by chaining the use of spells to enable the creation of ultra-powerful equipment - but I don't think I ever played the game again after that o:).
    Oh, i had to restart once cause Shoal did something weird: She triggered the talking even though she went hostile once she was nearing Bavaborass.
    She's a forgiving sort - if you don't want to kiss and make up you do need to keep your distance :p.

@Grond0
    I have autopause on Weapon unusable.

Thanks @Victor_Creed_SFV - I agree that would be a good idea. I have been banning the use of auto-pause for quite a while now in my games, so probably won't use it. However, I don't feel particularly strongly about that so will bear it in mind if I get desperate for success ...
    @Grond0
    It can also be annoying since it also autopauses when one of your 3 ammo slots is empty so if you actually use ammo a lot you would probably sooner turn it off than keep it on. :D

As to the basilisk loop I'm also shaken whether I will use it, since I developed such a clear cut start in BG1 and getting the 161k xp isn't even that hard for most classes.
    I could totally see myself using it if I want to dual but that doesn't mean I would end up actually using it.
    It is super awesome to know such things however and I'm definitely not as masos... strict with restricting myself as Grond0 :D
    edited May 2017
    I understand your point @Grond0! For me things like the XP loop are ok as the challenge will still be long + tough enough so speeding things up a bit is alway welcome! At the end everyone has to chose on his own what keeps up the challenge and with it - the fun! ;)
    edited May 2017
    Bavaborass still proving strong! After he rushed through Candlekeep - buffing himself up against the trap damage - he went back to Baldurs Gate for the final encounters.

Slythe: This time Bavaborass tried to went with five Skeleton Warriors only - no charmed Guards! He triggered the talking and made sure only Slythe was following. Once he went invisible again the Assassin tried his luck against the Undead - but failed. He even did not manage to take down one of them before they destroyed him. Holy cow - Skeletons are really strong! Thanks to their Magic Resistance and decent immunites plus their crit protection they blow most enemies apart.

Cythandria: After clearing the backstabbers first - they also did not kill a single Skeleton - Bavaborass used his Undead friends to blow the Mage apart who really got frustrated thanks to their MR. At the end all five of them were still "alive" until Cythandria went down. Bavaborass was watching the slaughter while protected from Sanctuary.

The Palace Ambush will follow soon and - not to forget - Durlags Tower once again. Time to take revenge for Sa´rokk! :D
    Haha, no I know about skeletons in SoA. :P
    edited May 2017
    Bavaborass finally managed to get through BG 1 - Korlasz will get into trouble soon!

The final part of BG1 was like a walk in the park with the sturdy Dwarven F/C. In Dulags Tower he protected against any trap damage and used Sanctuary to grab all relevant quest items unseen (its really cool that it doesnt break when looting chests!). Facing the Four Wardens he lured Fear & Pride away parking them near the strange machine. He then used one Skeleton to distract Avarice who was lured to the forge room. With the way clear for Love Bavaborass summoned four Skeletons and together they slaugthtered the poor ghost without much resistance. After some more kiting and summoning in the level below Bavaborass grabbed Kiels Helmet and Durlags Goblet - job done!

Palace Ambush: After the usual Mage Charming and resting Bavaborass charmed all Guards and Nobles while surrounding the potentially deadly Assassin with his Skeletons. Once he was buffed up the fight started so he dropped back quickly and focused down the Assassin quite hard. As the targeting of the Doplegangers was not the best they managed to save both Dukes while Bavaborass was using Bullets +2 and Wand of Heavens nonstop. After some waiting the Mage finally transformed but got hunted down by Guards and Skeletons. At the end he was stuck at the top of the stairs trying to hurt Bavaborass somehow - but failed. Once he dropped down and Sarevok ported away both Dukes were still alive - bady wounded "only".

Sarevok: This was nothing special. Park them in the SE corner and use five Skeletons to put down Angelo. Even though he managed to take down two Undead he never had a chance to avoid his death. With the usual Necklace of Missiles burning it was only Sarevok standing but he had no counter against the combined power of Bullets +2 and Wand of Heavens. After 57 Slingshots and 27 Flame Strikes his evil brother went down opening the door to SoD.

Quite amusing: This time some XP moved over to SoD so Bavaborass started the game with 201.8k XP.

After some rest its time for Korlasz once more. The run through BG1 has been so smooth that i am starting to like this class combo.

Lets see how far we can push it! ;)

EDIT: Korlasz has fallen! With five Skeletons surrounding her and one Hold Person she was rooted in place and seconds later she was already down to "injured" so the surrender talking triggered. Once collecting all loot Bavaborass wanted to get the Shield +2 as a reward from Fanegonorm - but he did not get it. Looks like the Quest is bugged with Cleric - normally it works without any problems!
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited May 2017
    Hello @billy_pilgrim and welcome to this challenge! You can play any class-combo you like. The "Mages-are-banned"-phrase is only a joke by myself. With regard to your plan of playing a dual Cleric/Thief: Sounds pretty cool! As the XP cap for SoD is 500k your Cleric will only be level 10 once Big B is down. On no-reload the combo might be a little tricky but for a normal run (nearly) everything should be possible. At the end its you choice! ;)
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    @Grond0 thanks for the tips! How would you go about getting Algernon's cloak though? I can't pick pocket him.. Just eat the rep loss?
    Just kill Algernon - there are more than enough reputation quests. Or spare some gold at the temple. Also dont forget to kill Dushai for the Ring of Free Action at Ulgoths Beard! Personally i love Hold Person - with Doom it works quite good even for LoB! ;)
    I agree hold person can be useful. If you do want to use it then don't forget to dual-wield to maximise your damage against a held victim (even if you only have one weapon you can still stick that in your off-hand and have fists in your main hand).
    edited May 2017
    Alrighty managed to kill Basilus at lvl 5, landing a silence then using doom/hold person. Took a couple of tries but went pretty well, now the proud owner of Ashideena (?) war hammer. Finished off most basilisks (there was 1 left after gorax turned on me but I managed to hammer it down). Will have to go and club poor algernon next. I've been trying to use hold undead from the Lathander kit but it doesn't seem to work at all :< Guess its LoB hit dice.

edit: Will do the dead cat first, if i recall correctly low reaction makes it so you won't get the scroll.
    @billy_pilgrim I normally leave reputation quests until after killing Algernon and Dushai - the higher your reputation when you kill an innocent the more reputation you lose. I do though leave the dead cat until later in order to be sure to get the scroll and reputation benefit there.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @billy_pilgrim: Hold Undead isn't limited by hit dice; only Sleep and Turn Undead are. It should work on undead of any level. I assume it's not working because of bad luck, combined with LoB's +5 save bonuses to all enemies.
    edited May 2017
    @Harpagornis Good luck with your archer! Just curious, when you gain back the archer levels do you get to use bows still? :tongue:

Meanwhile Nephthys is still wondering around the wilderness generally aimlessly, wish I'd known to kill Algernon earlier, now I've decided to get my rep up but I have the reduced rep gain tweak installed so its being a bit of pita. Although not getting that scroll from the cat girl is not such a huge deal I guess.
    Nephthys has been most successful with casting animate dead 3x and then doom/hold person/undead. I've managed to hold one ghoul so far :P in the ghoul cave in valley of the tombs. Skelly bro's are good and more than capable of taking most groups. I think I'm just about to head into nashkel mines.

Oh, and I just used sanctuary to grab the con tome, I tried using silence on the sirens but I guess their spells are innate or don't require vocalization anyway, couldn't figure out a way to kill them (juicy xp missed :<) but the cap is in sight already so its not such a big deal.
    Small update: Just did the mines, pretty simple really. Enter Mulahey's room, summon 3x skelly bro and then initiate with doom. Followed by hold person, I guess you could also use silence on him, and then just attack him. When he's dead loot his corpse and the chest and then cast sanctuary while your skellies hold off the reinforcements and mosey on out of there.
  • PreyerPreyer Member Posts: 16

Mi the Human Archer has pushed XP hard using the Basilisk XP loop (which burned away all 25 Stone to Flesh Scrolls) and is now gathering her mid-game-items and pushing reputation to 20.

What's the Basilisk XP loop? Sleeping in Mutamin's Garden?
    edited May 2017
    Preyer said:

What's the Basilisk XP loop?

Charm a lesser basilisk. Use it to petrify a greater basilisk while the latter is concentrating on you (protected by green scroll). Revive the greater basilisk with stone to flesh and petrify again ... and again ... and again. A few minutes and 25 scrolls later and you've hit the XP cap :D.
  • PreyerPreyer Member Posts: 16
    Grond0 said:

Charm a lesser basilisk. Use it to petrify a greater basilisk while the latter is concentrating on you (protected by green scroll). Revive the greater basilisk with stone to flesh and petrify again ... and again ... and again. A few minutes and 25 scrolls later and you've hit the XP cap :D

Ahh, nice! So in Baldur's Gate 2 we don't have basilisks and therefore cannot do this anymore. But we can do something like Imprison + Freedom? Or casting Flesh to Stone ourselves?
    Indeed. You would need to wait a while before being able to imprison things, so that wouldn't really help with an early boost to XP, but stoning things (and freeing them yourself) is certainly an option.