Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Yeah, you are right @semiticgod! The low APR (only 2) was a main factor cause most of the time Mi needed to swing two times before she made a roll - which was time enough for Big B to land his heavy blows. The Archer just missed half APR (from two points in Weapons) so the Oil of Speed would push it to 3 and in most cases the attack roll would be instant. I should have tested it with another characater before but i must admit that i a got a bit lazy. My fault! :D
    No luck with my runs: Bavaborass got killed by Morentherne cause - for whatever reason - he stayed half a second too long looting the nearby treasure and got kicked at the wall. The Green Dragon smiled about this unexpected meal...

I then started another attempt with Braxx the Swashbuckler but he was taken down by another infamous Archer Ambush. So what? Maybe its time for a really tough guy! Or with other words: I am rolling a Darven Defender right now. Enough of casters and stealthers for the moment - time to jump right into their face! :D

Nah @Grond0! Mages are still banned. At least until tomorrow! ;)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,335
    Best of luck Harpagornis. I'm surprised you've gone for long sword rather than scimitar for a good character - what sword are you aiming to use?
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2017
    Got a bit dissappointed. In the candlekeep catacombs, I couldn't unlock the wisdom tome or strength tome chests ~ even with DUHM. I'm a bit bummed out, the strength would really help me. Although the character is "working" fine, I'm a bit disappointed. Not sure if I want to continue with the cleric, I miss stealth, and backstabs too much, and its going to be a while before I can use them again (although I'm sure lvl 15 is the sweet spot for this build). But, the hold person + Boon of lathander + dual wielding is a pretty cool combo, I'm finding it harder and harder to land hold spells as I progress.

Small break for me! I might try a shaman because I haven't played with that class yet, and it seems like fun!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Grond0 said:

Deciding to start a new character I realised I hadn't given an archer a go yet, so here's Will ...

Nice ehh... crossbow Grond0! Sorry Will didn't make it into SoD. I still believe Archers have good potential. @Harpagornis's Archer Mi goed to show that. Sorry Harpo (can I call you that?), that she didn't make it with Martyr's Morningstar. Hopefully your Dwarven Defender will avenge her ;)
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Harpo :naughty:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Wouldn't it be better to use short swords than longswords against Belhifet? The Fractal Blade +3 should be able to remove his Improved Invisibility, which otherwise would give him +4 AC.
    Removing invisibility would be good if he doesn't recast it. I think Harpagornis posted before that he can recast at will, so removing it could potentially just result in him getting more opportunities to attack you while fully invisible.
    Yeah, Fractal Blade +3 is another decent choice even though the Dispelling is tricky. Sometimes Big B goes invisible again immediately sometimes he waits for one, two or even three rounds - especially when he gates in new demons instead. This would give you a small time window for easier hits. But as you have to wait and circle to lure the other demons away he will most likely go invisble before you get another attacking chance. The damage on the other hand cannot compete with the Acid Tongue +3. Your choice! ;)
    edited June 2017
    Thats why i always use a Invisibility Potion for the Ogre Mage ambush @Grond0.

No incoming spells, no following. And much cheaper than Potion of Magic Blocking! ;)

Too bad - looked like a pretty decent run up to this point. Maybe next time!!!

Thats why i always use a Invisibility Potion for the Ogre Mage ambush @Grond0.

I used to do that in BGT, but I've struggled with the mechanics of the transition in the EE which are complicated by the autosave triggering on arrival - as a result I've often not been able to pause before the ogre magi are active (and invisibility is not a good choice if spells are already being cast at you). I guess I just need to get into the habit of always pausing the game whenever I'm not watching the action ...
    edited June 2017
    Nah, the timing isnt that hard @Grond0 - if you keep an eye on the action. With Inv. Potion the Ogre Mages should not hit you - at least on my runs i never had any problems here. But if they follow into Candlekeep after Potion of Magic Blocking: Why not gulping a Inv. Potion before entering to break engagement? Would Auto-Pause help here? Hope you are on the run soon again! ;)

Nah, the timing isnt that hard @Grond0 - if you keep an eye on the action. With Inv. Potion the Ogre Mages should not hit you - at least on my runs i never had any problems here. But if they follow into Candlekeep after Potion of Magic Blocking: Why not gulping a Inv. Potion before entering to break engagement? Would Auto-Pause help here? Hope you are on the run soon again! ;)

I'm not worried about melee attacks, but if a chromatic orb spell is already on its way then invisibility is not a great choice :p. The ogre magi can also cast both detect invisibility and glitterdust, so you need to be able to break contact quickly before reappearing. I'm pretty sure by the way that you have had problems with this encounter at least once and that you had to resort to something other than an invisibility potion - I remember reading a post and thinking to myself that I was glad I wasn't the only one.

I just did a bit of testing on the transition. Part of my concern was that after the transition there's a small time gap (which looks a bit like a cut-scene) before the auto-save triggers. I remember trying to cast an invisibility spell during that period and the command being broken by the auto-save and I was worried that other actions actually completed during that period might be undone as well. You can't pause during the auto-save and there's then very little time after that before the ogre magi appear from invisibility and cast - hence my problem that I've tended to only manage to pause and be free to take an action once spells are already on the way (as I play at 60 fps it's likely that I will have more problems with timing in this situation than someone playing at 30 fps).

However, I have now checked that taking a potion in the period before the auto-save triggers is effective, so I'll probably plump for taking an invisibility potion then in future games B).
    Yeah, thats the way @Grond0 - be quick! :D

You are right i had trouble once but that was cause i was too slow and used Sandthief Ring (which is slower) so the Magic Missiles and Horrors went out before. Detect Invisibilty or Glitterdust are no problem - just make sure to equip Whispers of Silence Cloak.

just make sure to equip Whispers of Silence Cloak.

Interesting you mention that. I tend to find that gets crowded out of my inventory, what with all the wands, boots, belts, other cloaks etc. Do you prioritise this cloak or are you using a bag of holding to avoid inventory constraints?