Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited June 2017
    Eklun the Totemic Druid started SoA and had A LOT of fun in the Irenicus Prison. Or to be more precise: His Spirit Animals had the fun. As nearly no enemy can touch them they smashed all opposition into the ground so i could drink some more cups of tea while watching the slaughter. The most dangerous aspect were some traps – especially the one in Irencius sleeping chamber that could potentially instakill Eklun. But thats it. The rest was silence once the Spirit Animals rushed through...

After killing everything Eklun moved out with 626995 XP, five Invisibility Potions, three Oil of Speed, the Blunting Belt, Sarevoks Chaos Blade, the always precious Helm of Balduran, another Ring of Protection +1, Illychs personal Chain Mail and a Quarterstaff +2 instead of Varscona +2. Not a bad start!

More action coming soon... ;)
    edited June 2017
    With Eklun slowly nearing level 15 i calculated a bit. After dualing to Fighter at 15 Eklun will get 9 HLA´s max. Thats not much. Would he have dualed at level 13 he would reach 18 instead - but loosing some spell power. Damn it. A Fighter/Druid would get 19 - sounds even better. Maybe thats at the end the way to go even though i would miss the spirit summons for sure! ;)

Update:

Umar Hills are cleared. Eklun used the Spirit Summons and Fire Elementals to kill every shadow around soaking up XP. The only tricky part was the Lich (thanks to his higher level) which was tricked with PfU. The Shade Lord himself was pretty straightforward: Get in with PfU still running and hack the Altar apart and then take down the Shade Lord himself. Eklun got lucky and landed the second Harm to destroy the evil with one more swing.
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, there is some logic behind. Getting Deva and Elemental Prince would fit really good into the "i-will-summon-all-day-long" game Eklun is playing for so long now. As i play without improved Earth Elemental i will most likely skip it.

Plan to 18

Level 15: Fire Elemental Form
    Level 16: Deva
    Level 17: Elemental Summoning
    Level 18: Greater Elemental Summoning

Or maybe change Fire Elemental Form with Globe of Blades?

Update:

Troll Mound finally cleared. Eklun always buffed up with Iron Skin + Chaotic Command went invisible and used True Seeing to get a safe spot for summoning three Spirit Lions and two Fire Elementals. With Creeping Doom and several retreats they managed to beat down all Trolls grabbing the Spear of the Unicorn and the Dales Protector. XP >2,5 million - i can almost smell the first HLA! ;)

P.S. Dont forget that level 18 would grant Eklun also another Spirit Summoning charge! :D
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    How do you guys usually handle Allied Siege Camp when they strike. On LOB SCS new waves come pretty much before previous are done, is this still hit and run? Isn't this a timed (they destroy the barrels) event?
    In my very first SoD solo run i got stuck at the Crusader Attacks cause my Cavalier lacked DPS. That was quite painful. :D

With regard to Hephernaan @Myrag: You are supposed to get out as fast as you can - invisibility is your best friend here. Fighting the huge incoming groups is possible abusing heavy AoE damage and CC. Or you can charm as many guards as possible before meeting Hephernaan. Thieves work great here as you can abuse the elevator shooting one Detonation Arrow after another out of stealth - retreat and repeat until everyone is dead. Normally i just retreat and get out as fast as i can...

Regarding the Lich: As i never play Mages i always skip him - maybe another one can help here! ;)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Myrag, you need to kill the Lich and take the robe from it. The only time I even made it that far in the game, I used my last green PfUndead scroll so I had no trouble with it. Once you've killed the Lich using PfU, a Warden who's supposed to be friendly will be hostile. You can kill it for a very nice crossbow.
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328

@Myrag, you need to kill the Lich and take the robe from it. The only time I even made it that far in the game, I used my last green PfUndead scroll so I had no trouble with it. Once you've killed the Lich using PfU, a Warden who's supposed to be friendly will be hostile. You can kill it for a very nice crossbow.

@Blackraven yea I do get that. Problem is no talking option is triggering the hostility for me, all options end with him giving me ring as reward and then teleporting off.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Myrag said:

@Blackraven yea I do get that. Problem is no talking option is triggering the hostility for me, all options end with him giving me ring as reward and then teleporting off.
    Then you'll have to force-attack it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,321
    Just fought Belhifet in a MP game. That was on core, so obviously much easier, but gives me a better idea of what to watch out for if I ever get that far in a game. I also noted a bit of corrupted ground near one of the pillars - getting stuck on that wasn't quite fatal in the MP game, but probably would have been in LoB, so that's something else to watch out for.
    What lesson did you learn from this fight @Grond0? New ideas? New tricks? ;)

Oh, i never noticed the corrupted ground you mentioned. But i must admit that i always keep some distance to them...
    Not really anything new for you, no. My character was only kept alive after getting stuck by taking several potions of power - but you're already well aware of that one :D. I also noted that Belhifet's regeneration is relatively slow - hence it's a reasonable tactic for the PC to run round and regenerate (though that's really only an issue for me as others will just use healing items).
    edited June 2017
    Eklun cleaned the floors of the de'Arnise Keep and faced Torgal once more!

The combination of Fire Elementals and Spirt Lions proved to be enough for most Troll groups while Eklun himself was either waiting or throwing in Creeping Doom and Call Lightning. It did not take too ling and the magic level of 15 was reached deciding to go with the powerful Deva. This choice apeared to be quite good as the Deva not only can take some punches but also deals significant damage (Globe od Blades). Once room after another was cleared while always buffing up aginst potential Spirit Troll magic. Only one time - when i had switched the Ring of Fire Protection for Sandthief Ring - a Flame Strike landed out of nowhere bringin Eklun down to 7 HP. A quick retreat and invisibility gave him the chance to heal up again - reminding him to always keep Fire Resistance up. With no further problems the Flail of Ages was restored (not bothering about the Golems) and the Umber Hulks were lured away using the Dog Stew.

With level 16 already reached and choosing Elemental Summoning it was now time to face Torgal himself. Eklun buffed up and summoned three Spirit Bears and one Deva. He went invisible, lured Torgal away from the Mages and immediately gulped a Potion of Magic Shielding to make sure he will never miss his save against the Cloak of Fear. Once his summones started tanking Eklun called in the Efreeti who waited in the background for his call of action. Now Eklun started his "Harm"onization and tried to bring down Torgal to 1 HP (rolling 11+ and bypassing Torgals 30% MR). On his third try damage went through - time for the Efreeti to join the party casting his Flame Strike. Torgal got hit for 96 damage and died immediately - job done!

With level 17 also no far away its now time to grab the loot and take some rest. More adventures are waiting soon! ;)

Update:
    The combination of Fire Elementals + Spirit Bears (!) + Deva + Zaaman Rul (lucky 10% roll) were able to kill all Golems. Together with some more Spirit Trolls and the final reward from Nalia this was engouh to push Eklun up to level 17 where i quickly picked the Greater Elemental Summoning HLA. More, big friends incoming - this should get funny! ;)
    edited June 2017
    Two cool things i havent noticed earlier as i never got that deep into SoA:

1. Power Attack works with Slings too and can be combined with GWW
    2. Nature´s Beauty does not break invisibility: Say hello mass blindness!

However: Eklun reached level 23 and thanks to Displacer Cloak + Ring of Gaxx + Ring of Protection +2 & Baldurans Helm his saves are all negative - except for spells. With base THAC0 -1 Harm should be landing quite often so i might skip Critical Strike - or not? GWW and Power Strike seems the way to go even though it will still not be enough to stunlock Melissan later on - here the Multi-Class Fighter/Druid defintely has the upper hand.

I am missing the improved Earth Elemental Form? Not really! GM Sling + DUHM + GWW + Simulacrum - like @Arctodus stated earlier is a really powerful tool that should work until the end. Spirit Summons are still strong enough for most opposition. Bears worked fine against Golems, Wolves are still superb for stunlocking Mages while Lions are good for fast cleanups. For instance: Four Spirit Wolves + Pixie Dust + Power Strike + GWW -> Stunlocked & dead Mage in seconds! The spells i like most at the moment are Find Traps (lifesaver more than one time as it gave time to prepare for or avoid traps) and also Shield of Archons - the lazy man´s life insurance! Devas and Elemental Princes are playing in a league of their own and so far only the Yuan-Ti-Mages were able to wear them down.

As summons are still proving to be so strong i am nearly never casting the always cheesy "Harm" and used it against the Liches (and Torgal) mostly to save time. ToB will be the area where this 100 to 1 spell will really shine - landing it on Melissan would be a dream scenario. If we get this far. The only troublesome fight in the next time will be the first battle against Irenicus in the Asylum as it feels somehow chaotic with all the Mages around. If someone knows a proven strategy for this one: Feel free to post it! ;)
    edited June 2017
    Very cool to see you on the run again @Arctodus! But a Mage? Well ------ okay! :D

Next time Bassilus will have a harder time to trick you! Well - Eklun tricked his way into the Asylum by nearly instakilling Perth with four Spirit Wolves and a Power Strike + GWW combo. The poor Mage dropped to the ground before knowing what hit him. Too bad the dream bug appeared again with Bhaal not following into the building so i had to use console to place him manually. At the moment Eklun is in the Spellhold labyrinth with level 24 nearly reached. Hope i can give some more updates soon! ;)
    edited June 2017
    Okay - Eklun managed to get through the labyrinth and faced Irenicus for the first time!!

The labyrinth itself was quite easy: Solve some puzzles and let the summons do their job! One amazing thing that i discovered there: The Spirit Bears also work pretty good against Liches! It looks really funny to see the Lich running around in panick while the Bears smacked it down once they cornered it. With the Bag of Holding and some more items Eklun met Bodhi again - who retreated when seeing the Slayer. The following tests of the Ghosts were solved so Eklun was ported back to Spellhold - ready to meet Irenicus.

And here the real cheese started as i did not want to face this chaotic mage battle once more. Yes, the Mages are needed cause Irenicus would instakill Eklun if he attacks the Mage alone but why not let the summons do the job? First Eklun casted "Farsight" into the room where Irenicus was waiting. Then one Fire Elemental and four Spirit Wolves moved in attacking the evil Mage. With all the incoming damage his Death Spell failed and his HP dropped to "nearly dead" within ten seconds. Only now Eklun quickly moved upstairs convincing the Mages to join the party. Together they ported to Irenicus who was left with 1 HP and after the talking the usual battle started. Well. Not really. Cause thanks to the work of the Spirit Wolves and Fire Elemental the escape talking nearly immediately triggered and Irenicus vanished. The incoming Assassins could not touch the Spirit Wolves who got another easy meal. Time to move back to Brynnlaw sailing once more with the devious Saemon... ;)

Not to forget: Level 25 reached - only one more to go!!

Update:
    Sahuagin City is cleared - the Rebel Kind is dead. After cleaning the house with summons and solving the Imp riddle in between Eklun only made sure to grab the Cloak of Mirroring from the Priestress before heading into the Underkark. Its time saying "Hello" to the Drow once more! This should get interesting...

Update 2:
    I HATE MINDFLAYERS!!! Damn it. Not again. For some very strange reason i am always struggling with this Mindflayer Ambush and even the Deva and Elemental Prince could not change that. I protected Phaere quite well but these slippery Mindflayers somehow managed to kill Solaufein really quickly not bothering about my summons. Phaere turned hostile and with it the whole Drow Questline cracked. Damn it again! This meant: Eklun had to face Adalon herself to get out of the Underdark. With max XP already reached this wasnt a big deal so Eklun called in his Spirit Summons and one Deva. First he casted MR on her - which did not turned her hostile - so he got time to cast "Harm". Some seconds later it was clear: Harm landed and took her HP down to 1 - shortly after she was history! Time to get out of this unholy place......

Update 3:
    The rage about the Mindflayers still in mind Eklun tried to escape the Underdark - and nearly paid the price for sloppy play. The reason was simple: The Kua-Toa surrounded him and the summons and after not taking attention to a Remove Magic his HP dropped to two within seconds. With Oil of Speed he quickly retreated and left the map but two Kua Toas still followed him. It was his luck that they could not shoot him so he slinged them down one after another, healed up again and took more care this time. Once the Kua Toas were down he lured the Demons and Drows away from the gate and slipped through unseen...
    Sorry you missed the opportunity to play with the drow - as you say though it's not like you needed the XP :D. Those illithid are coded as summons, so even with LoB I think should evaporate in a death spell - so that would provide a handy short-cut for arcane or thief classes.

If Adalon had been a threat to you rather than a plaything you could have just made her hostile - the door would be open then anyway.
    edited June 2017
    Thats good to know @Grond0!

More than one time Eklun was only a small step away from his doom. One reason why i am getting into trouble at the moment is that with all the options the game doesnt feel challenging anymore - its getting a bit boring and with it motivation and concentration slips away...

Maybe i should take a small break to get them back again before facing the final encounters in SoA! ;)

Update:
    Bodhi is dead. Clearing the Vampires with summons took several rest-retreats while Bodhi herself was tricked with PfU + MR + Harm with one quick retreat cause after the first takedown the PfU somehow is negated. Time to put an end to SoA soon!
    I know what you mean. I'm trying at the moment to run a mage through on Core and getting the balance right to maintain interest without too much risk is tricky B). I just tried taking Draconis on without any protection against acid and got taken down to 3 HPs by his breath - I might have overdone the risk there a tad ...
    edited June 2017
    Finally its done: Irenicus is dead - SoA is finished...

In Suldanessalar Eklun tricked the enemies with invisibility and summons, bribed the Dragon (while hiding his stuff near the exit), tricked the tough enemies in the temple with calling in the Guardian immediately so he killed them right after the talking and let Irenicus waste all his spells on summons so the final Deva and Fire Prince smashed him to hell.

In the Hell Trials Eklun chose one time the evil path so once his alignment changed to Neutral Evil he switched his Armor to wear the improved Human Flesh (thanks Adalon!) for the final fight. Here he distracted the hunting Demons with a quick Fire Elemental from the Staff of Fire and engaged Slayer Irenicus. One more Fire Elemental was used to let him waste his Time Stop and the Dark Planetar. Once it vanished Eklun called in three Spirit Bears, the Deva and shortly after the final Elemental Prince - Sunnis. Together with GWW slinging Slayer Irenicus dropped in half a minute triggering the final cutscenes.

Like always the game crashed so i have to import Eklun manually into ToB - with all containers lost again. I hate this bug...

I must admit that SoA so far was the most boring part of the challenge. The start was okay but after Eklun got his levels and especially finished dual classing most enemies were no threat anymore. It was more about keeping the focus then anything else. I dropped concentration (and motivation) at the end more than one time - which could have been fatal. Dropping to two HP once, or getting confused cause i was too lazy with buffing. At the end the summons safed the day - again and again. So far it looks like that Totemic Druids dualed to Fighter is a really, really powerful combo. In ToB there are some big challenges waiting and i wouldnt be surprised if Eklun drops before reaching Melissan. But the summons will help - anywhere, everytime. Hopefully! ;)