Skip to content

Your favourite book

2»

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Does Volo's Complete Guide to the Behaviour of Nymphs count?
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    When I read the title of this thread I was prepared to go off on a tangent about Cannery Row or one of my favourite short story anthologies. But in terms of the BG library, The History of the Dead Three has always been a page-turner. In fact, in evil runs (particularly with a blackguard), Firebead's possession of it - and the knowledge of charname it implies - serves as the perfect motive for killing him (and collecting that sweet early-game experience).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2016

Sarevok's Diary.

As someone who gets annoyed by people interrupting him in the library, I can relate to this passage:
    "The monk Gorion troubles me. He seems to have taken an interest in my readings. I must be careful to be more clandestine in my research. I wish I could simply kill him, but I doubt I could safely murder him within this damnable library."
    My diary might look similar, lol.

I think the real world equivalent would be people who go to the university library and do group work in the individual study areas. :)
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Calmar said:

Kaervas Death's Head was the lord of an empire deep within the earth, and he sat upon his lava-red throne of rock and lava, his skin so thick with calluses and black enchantments that no mortal weapon could pierce or cut it. Ehld traveled many leagues beneath the surface of Faerun and demanded an audience with the black rock king. Kaervas, amused by the old human's challenge, agreed to fight him, but found Ehld's strength and holy avenger an equal match for his strength and skill. Finding it almost impossible to strike a mortal blow against Kaervas with even his holy avenger, Ehld parried one of Kaervas' strikes and turned the momentum of Kaervas' own axe back on its owner, causing the blunt end of his mighty axe to sink into the dwarf's skull, splintering the bone beneath the skin into fragments. The Duergar allowed the human who had slain their king to leave unmolested, and they sealed Kaervas' body in the throne room where he died.
    Thanks for tha exciting lore you quoted, @Artemius_I! Did you guys know that Kaervas Death's Head appears on page 24 of the original manual of Icewind Dale where the inventory screen is explained?

Here is an (unfortunately rather low-quality) image taken from a .pdf:

He also appears in IWD2. One of the pregen parties is led by a dwarf who is a descendent. This dwarf is trying to make up for the misdeeds of his ancestor
  • filcat88filcat88 Member Posts: 115
    History of the Dead Three also appears in Sword Coast Adventurer Guide, released by WOTC as supplement for 5E
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    elminster said:

Sarevok's Diary.

As someone who gets annoyed by people interrupting him in the library, I can relate to this passage:
    "The monk Gorion troubles me. He seems to have taken an interest in my readings. I must be careful to be more clandestine in my research. I wish I could simply kill him, but I doubt I could safely murder him within this damnable library."
    My diary might look similar, lol.

I think the real world equivalent would be people who go to the university library and do group work in the individual study areas. :)
    Or people in the group work areas that are so noisy that they disturb everyone in the quiet areas.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    History of Tethyr, I like its writing style.