Skip to content

Alora!

I had never had Alora in my party - I never even encountered her in any game I had played. But I was looking for an NPC thief for my party and read about her. I used the cheat to "summon" her at the beginning of a new game, so she would be with me from the start.

I must say, she had me at her first line. She is so cute!!! Why didn't they put her in earlier in the game? She always makes me smile with her exuberant outbursts. But it seems the others like to pick on her.

I have Dynaheir in my group, with Minsc, Dorn, Sarra (my CHARNAME), and Kagain. Sometimes Dynaheir says something like, "It's hard for me to cast spells while I gag". And Alora responds with, "You needn't be so mean. I'm nice to YOU!"

Is Dynaheir talking to Alora, or someone else? Maybe Kagain? He never responds to her. Sometimes other characters will say things, and Alora gets offended. What is their problem with her? Jerks! :pensive:

Comments

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Alora is cool, she has some of the best dialogue and she is the best thief in the game (Imoen is only better because you get to spend all of her skill points where you like early in the game). She's also just adorable. I went to a great deal of trouble to include her and Tiax in my party, since they come so late in the game. Maybe I should just start employing this cheat you mentioned, rather than being a glutton for punishment.
  • I saw that on Youtube, someone was playing and they ran into Alora in Gullykin.

Spawning NPCs can get weird, though. Like one game I spawned all the NPCs at the beginning of the game, so when I met Minsc in Nashkel, he was already in my party. Like he had traveled through time or something.

Will the real Minsc please stand up? Please stand up? Please stand up?

That makes me wonder if I recruited him, and he was already in my party, would I then have two Minscs? And two Boos? You can never have too many Boos. "Go for the eyes Boo!"
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Alora has a lot of great inter-character dialogues with a fairly large array of npcs. One of the more overlooked NPCs in the game (that and she is the best thief - especially in the EE's where her rabbit foot actually works! lol).
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Alora and Skie are both hidden treasures, prepared to spare you grief in the run up to battling Sarevok if all your other Thief allies had perished before then (at least, this was the original intent of the developers). Yet their dialogues tend to be polarising, so you rarely find players who are just 'okay' with them.

Yet I do think Alora is a great addition to the party! Skie, too. Despite their late entrance onto the scene, they can rack up a commendable percentage of the party's kills in addition to providing the needed Thief services before game's end. Alora has a neat little niche owing to her combination of race and gender, giving her a definitive USP among the many cool companions BG1 gives the opportunity for.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    With the NPC Project you can change the game to make Alora appear in Gullykin, even so I have a hard time believing she could be a good NPC.

It's fun to have Tiax in the party a bit when you change the game to meet him at the Feldepost Inn though.
  • I can't wait to hear Alora say, "Isn't that a cute hamsty wamsty!", or something like that, to Boo.
    She also says something like, "I'm so sweet my teeth and gums are rotten."

Gotta love that little scamp!
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    https://youtu.be/JpTqdFrj0OI?t=2m5s
    I'm so sweet, I've got rotting teeth and gums!
  • You go, girl, chopping up those kobolds!
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I gave Alora the Boomerang dagger and the gauntlets of weapon expertise. She's chopping off as many heads as Shar-Teel. With a smile!
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    JoenSo said:

I gave Alora the Boomerang dagger ...

What is that..?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Loldrup Its a magic returning throwing dagger. Its not available in BG1 unless its introduced in a mod.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Loldrup said:

JoenSo said:

I gave Alora the Boomerang dagger ...

What is that..?
    It's from the mod "NPC Project".
    Which if you haven't tried, would really recommend.
    Pretty much universal praise for it, I've yet to see any post saying the player didn't like it.

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Really? I've seen a lot of criticism toward it, especially when the BG Gamefaqs board wasn't so dead. I don't particularly like it either, save for two characters (Dynaheir and Xzar).
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    There are some things I don't like about the NPC Project (you don't have to yell at everyone Shar-Teel...), but I think it's worth it. And it gave me the slightly overpowered boomerang dagger so Alora can be a happy hurricane of flying daggers and rotting gums. So no complaints from me.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

Pretty much universal praise for it, I've yet to see any post saying the player didn't like it.

Well, check this post by @Quartz for a start.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I haven't tried the mod yet, I said I'd use it after I do my vanilla BG:EE, SoD, SoA, ToB run and I'm still on the BG:EE part of that run lol

Well, check this post by @Quartz for a start.
    Fair enough, I stand corrected.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Alora is a pretty wonderful character. It is a shame she appears so late-game. As has been mentioned, there are many mods that move her to an earlier-accessible area.

Regarding the BG1NPC mod, I appreciate the shout-out @JuliusBorisov. You have quite the memory.
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    Alora is a good thief, but pretty useless in combat.
    The personality is what gets her in party. I really need someone to balance Kivan "Oh my soul aches" the archer.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

The personality is what gets her in party. I really need someone to balance Kivan "Oh my soul aches" the archer.

lol wut. Her THAC0 is pretty good for a thief. That +2 luck sure helps...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Quartz said:

Both true, from different perspectives.

Any single-class Thief (except a late-BG2 Swashbuckler) could reasonably be described as "pretty useless in combat" if you're comparing to a warrior class ... which is obviously as it should be, since the main purpose of the warrior classes is to be good at straight-up fighting.

However, you need* someone with Thief skills ... and compared to other straight Thieves, Alora is pretty decent in combat.

(* Well, okay, before some pedant butts in to disagree ... I do realise that it's possible to complete the game with no Thief at all, but it's a darn sight easier with a Thief in the party.)

Quartz said:

Both true, from different perspectives.

Any single-class Thief (except a late-BG2 Swashbuckler) could reasonably be described as "pretty useless in combat" if you're comparing to a warrior class ... which is obviously as it should be, since the main purpose of the warrior classes is to be good at straight-up fighting.

However, you need* someone with Thief skills ... and compared to other straight Thieves, Alora is pretty decent in combat.

(* Well, okay, before some pedant butts in to disagree ... I do realise that it's possible to complete the game with no Thief at all, but it's a darn sight easier with a Thief in the party.)
    And even that depends on what you limit "combat" to mean.
    Killing a lich/dragon straight off with traps seems to me to be pretty darn good "combat".
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    There are not liches or dragons in bg1.

And it's not even about comparing her, to other thieves or not (they are all about same, except Coran). It's literally - leave her behind in a fight, and the fight will not change much. Or, likely, at all. That is the definition of useless.
    Anyone willing to prove otherwise is welcome to post a stat screenshot, where Alora has, I don't know, 20% of the kills (with considerable total, obviously).
This discussion has been closed.