Skip to content

Ideas for Future Baldur's Gate Fanart Challenge Themes (UPDATE-new way for deciding themes)

LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
edited December 2012 in Fan Creations
~+UPDATE!!!!!!!+~

This post is hard to find for some people a lot of the time, since it's not always on the front page!
From now on, this thread is for suggestions only--The day before each fanart challenge, I will take the top ten suggestions with the most likes (if there is a tie it will be decided by coin flip or diceroller, and I will make them into a poll, and post it. The poll will run for a day, usually. It may run a little less long this time since I'm already late in posting the 4th challenge. Whichever of the suggestions has the most votes at the end of the poll's runtime will be the theme for the next challenge!

~+END UPDATE+~

This thread is a place to post ideas/make requests for the themes of future fanart challenges. The second challenge will begin on Friday, November 16th, and I would like to have a theme lined up for it before then. The most requested ideas will probably be used first. Please go ahead and post your ideas here. It can be a character, place, event, something abstract, or anything else in between! As long as it has something to do with Baldur's Gate, it's a totally valid idea for a theme!
You can vote for as many themes as you want. Just 'like' or 'agree' a suggestion in order to vote for it, or if you see a suggestion here you like but can't find the post it was suggested in, just create a new post that says "I vote for ______" Go ahead and vote for whichever ones you'd like to see at some point in the future!
Post edited by LadyEibhilinRhett on

Comments

• MidoriiMidorii Member Posts: 3
    Taverns You spend enough time in them.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Okay, I told myself I wouldn't put my own ideas in, but seeing as it seems that people need a little encouraging here, I'm gonna go ahead and vote we make the next fanart theme Imoen.
    If anyone else has themes they'd like to see in future fanart challenges, please post them here.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I second @CaptRory's theme!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Baldur's gate pictionary: Draw people and places, everyone else has to guess what it is - pick something difficult or easy, it's up to you.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I quite like the character idea where you get different views on the same subject but @CaptRory's idea can't really be topped for comedy gold.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Epic Combats (versus firkraag, khangaxx etc)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    screenshot competition.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    A general suggestion for the fanart challenge (above and beyond the next specific one): For those without the actual hand-eye fine motor drawing skills, perhaps it would be good to link some applications that allow folks to create characters. Like the one Killraven used. And any others out there that could work for this purpose.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    a screenshot competition is a good idea so everyone can participate...no skillsets in drawing, writing etc. required;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    What about a competition on best rendition of Baldur's Gate?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Baldurs gate illustrated slashfiction?
    *Flees*

a screenshot competition is a good idea so everyone can participate...no skillsets in drawing, writing etc. required;)

@NWN_babaYaga
    yeah but this is less a competition and more a challenge. And screenshots aren't really fanart. It's an interesting idea, but it sounds more like something that should be like, a separate thread. Just, a SUPER AWESOME SCREENSHOTS thread. Still, if enough people vote for it, it could be a future theme.
    mlnevese said:

What about a competition on best rendition of Baldur's Gate?

@mlnevese
    You're talking about the city, right? :D
    ajwz said:

Baldurs gate illustrated slashfiction?
    *Flees*

@ajwz
    ...I lol'd.
    In all seriousness though, as awesome as that would be, it would probably require a lot of extra rules, to, like, protect people who didn't want to see that sort of thing? You know, posting all entries as links instead of in-post pictures, putting an NSFW warning on the post, etc.
    Also we'd need to find (or write!) some good slashfiction to illustrate. Most of the stuff I've seen out there is really awful. I still remember when my friend showed me this one Edwin/Anomen story that was...wow I can't even find words to describe it.
    That being said, I think it's a pretty cool idea, and I admit to crackshipping Edwin/Xan, and doodling it from time to time (please no one kill me for that aaaaaaaaaaaa), and if that were a theme, I would totally post it. But like I said before, I am leaving the themes up to popular vote.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @LadyEibhilinRhett

I'm talking about the city :)
    Okay, folks, the second fanart challenge is up, and by popular vote, the new theme is the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity. The thread can be found here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6605/baldurs-gate-fanart-challenge-2-girdle-of-masculinityfemininity

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions, and please keep them coming so we can have themes for future challenges!
    @Shandyr
    So, question. What about the nonhuman NPCs? Would they become human for this or stay the same race they always were and have no idea why the hell they're half everyone's size or have pointy ears or something?
    @salieri @ajwz
    I'm not really sure about a screenshot competition or a themed challenge for 16 bit sprites, mostly because screenshots and 16 bit sprites are fair game for submission to ANY challenge if you feel like you can use them in the context of the theme, so I am not too clear on why they would need their own themes.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    How about NPCs dressing up as other NPCs? :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I'm going to go ahead and suggest that one of the themes be Xan, because he's my favorite character.

Also, because I'd like to have some challenges where the themes are just certain NPC's or certain places, so we don't use up all the more...original ideas right away. I think it'll be more fun if there's a good mix of themes.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    How about 'Xan about town'? :D Xan moping about grocery shopping, Xan moping about his job, Xan moping about his mansion and perfect life...the possibilities are endless!
    I have now added a running tally of how many votes each suggestion has to the thread's first post. I will update this whenever I check the thread.
    Challenge #3 is up and can be found at the following link:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8831/baldurs-gate-fanart-challenge-3-baldurs-gate-characters-in-the-modern-world

The theme is "Baldur's Gate Characters in the Modern World". This theme will be removed from the list on the first post since it has now been used. Please continue to make suggestions for future themes and vote on themes you like.
    Remember, you may make as many suggestions and vote for as many ideas as you want!
    By the way, I would like to submit another suggestion for a theme.
    What about wild magic? I think that would be a great theme. Illustrate the weirdness wild surges can cause.
    Either that or just magic in general.
    Come on, guys, we need some suggestions and votes for the theme for the next challenge.

...Either that or a suggestion on how to run this theme-deciding thing better...
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I have a hunch @Jalily might have a couple new ideas that rule ;)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    No pressure, right? ._.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Jalily - What, you haven't posted them already?!?

=D